Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2005 5:06:25 PM EDT
How many of you have a shotty with a pistol grip on it but no stock? I put one on my Winchester so it would fit ontop of the doorjam in my closet, but I'm kind of worried about it being a useful gun now. I guess it was an impulse change, but now I'm kind of tempted to put the stock back on it. How do you even shoot these things like that? From the hip?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You just discovered the "dirty little secret" of the PG-only shotgun:

What you have is an enormous PISTOL, which you can't aim like a pistol, and can't use like a rifle or shotgun.

You can't hold it out in front of you and sight down the barrel, because you can't properly support it or handle the recoil.

Pointing it from the hip fails at anything except the absolutely closest possible range.

The truth of shotguns is: You still have to "aim" them.  
True, it's more on the order of pointing the gun, but you can't just point the barrel somewhere in the general vicinity of a target and expect to hit it.

Most people who fit PG-only stocks never actually shoot one on a REAL shotgun assault course.
They go out to the range and have fun blowing shot at non-moving targets at known distances, and think they're doing good.

A trip through a real combat shotgun course will quickly prove to you that a shotgun without a stock is a Hollywood Range Toy.

PG-only stocks DO have a place, but it's almost entirely on a SWAT-style door opener.
In these cases, the shotgun is really a TOOL, not a weapon.

All this is why most people who buy a PG-only equipped shotgun soon go to a full stock.
Bottom line is, with a standard stock you can actually hit the target quickly.

In most cases, a PG-only stocked gun is actually SLOWER to get hits with.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You just discovered the "dirty little secret" of the PG-only shotgun:

What you have is an enormous PISTOL, which you can't aim like a pistol, and can't use like a rifle or shotgun.

You can't hold it out in front of you and sight down the barrel, because you can't properly support it or handle the recoil.

Pointing it from the hip fails at anything except the absolutely closest possible range.

The truth of shotguns is: You still have to "aim" them.  
True, it's more on the order of pointing the gun, but you can't just point the barrel somewhere in the general vicinity of a target and expect to hit it.

Most people who fit PG-only stocks never actually shoot one on a REAL shotgun assault course.
They go out to the range and have fun blowing shot at non-moving targets at known distances, and think they're doing good.

A trip through a real combat shotgun course will quickly prove to you that a shotgun without a stock is a Hollywood Range Toy.

PG-only stocks DO have a place, but it's almost entirely on a SWAT-style door opener.
In these cases, the shotgun is really a TOOL, not a weapon.

All this is why most people who buy a PG-only equipped shotgun soon go to a full stock.
Bottom line is, with a standard stock you can actually hit the target quickly.

In most cases, a PG-only stocked gun is actually SLOWER to get hits with.

Well I'm 6'2 ,256 and I have NO problems AT ALL shooting my friends moss 500 pistol grip shotty !!!! pointed it just like a rifle ....
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to think they were nothing but for Rambo want ab be's. Almost 15 years ago I went to an ASLET
training conference. There was a Deputy from Ohio first name was Terry. He ran an afternoon school that changed my mind. By the end of the day we were shooting skeet (on the ground and in the air)
an engaging targets out to 25 yards. He said hi dept only issued them with pistol grips as they are a close range (<25 yard weapon). I got a lot more respect for them that day.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one with pistol grips on it, and can shoot it okay. Sighting down the barrel has not been a problem for me, I can't shoot it from the hip very well. I use it for breaching doors, and stick with the folding stock for a compact defense gun.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Their useless for me, not to mention it gets painful after 10-15 rnds of 00, 000, or slugs. Stock/pistol grip combo is more useful for me.

ETA: My opinion is if your gonna aim it like a long gun, why even have the pistol grip. Makes no sense to me, if you want to aim it, just use a regular stock or stock with a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Their useless for me, not to mention it gets painful after 10-15 rnds of 00, 000, or slugs. Stock/pistol grip combo is more useful for me.

ETA: My opinion is if your gonna aim it like a long gun, why even have the pistol grip. Makes no sense to me, if you want to aim it, just use a regular stock or stock with a pistol grip.

I'm not going to get into the argument about PGOs because it is a never-ending one. I will say that the painful part is only true if you are not using a Knoxx BreachersGrip. It just plain doesn't hurt at all, even with heavy loads.

CaCrusin

www.knoxx.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top