Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2003 11:17:05 PM EDT
What advantages does a stock with a pistol grip have over a standerd stock?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Ability to fire one armed if the other is injured or occupied is my #1 reason for liking them.

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:30:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the fact that *for me* I find it easier to control the gun.  However, I do find that not everyone finds them easier to work with.  Also, dismounting the shotgun from a slung position is a tad bit trickier with the pistol grip stock.

If in doubt, stay with the regular stock and shorten it until your LOP is about 12-12.5 inches.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:04:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I debated the same question for several months before I finally went with a conventional stock (hogue) for my 1300. It mounts quicker and handles full strength slug and buck recoil better than my older pistol grip stock. It was also less expensive!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:46:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the PG stock personally.  I do not think that is it a major disadvantage one way or the other just a matter of personal preference.  Just like anything else it is best to try both and determine what works the best for you. My main reason is the same as Lumpy's, I can hold the shotgun at low ready very easily as well as fire one handed if needed.  I also have very long arms and my grip is much better with a PG on a stock with a relatively short LOP.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#5]
What are the reasons why some people are so opposed to the idea of a PG on a shotgun?  Aside from personal preference regarding feel, of course.  I'm trying to make the same decision as spork--I need a shorter stock and if I'm going to switch to a PG this would be the opportune time.  Also, does a PG make it hard to reach the release on a Mossberg 590?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Also, does a PG make it hard to reach the release on a Mossberg 590?

Yep.  You gotta slide your hand way up to get your thumb on the safety.

I have a 590DA1, and when in use I slide the safety off before entering an area where I might need to use it.  It's double action, and has long trigger travel.  Like in a 3 gun, I'll take the safety off when I'm in the start gate.
Or when something goes "bump in the night."

Other than those two examples, I leave the safety on until ready to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm thinking of going to a pistol gripped stock for my Rem 870.  Here are the plusses.  Please feel free to comment.  Also, if anyone has used the Speedfeed Tac stock, i.e. solid stock, shorter LOP, please post pics and/or your impression.

1.  My AR has a pistol grip (obviously) and I use a CQB solutions sling with a Daniel Defense single point sling loop as the rear attachment.  Getting a GG&G loop for the 870 would allow me to use the same sling configuration and feel.  

2.  With a push button safety, the 870 doesn't present any problems with reaching the safety as does the Mossberg.  By the way, for a conventional stock, I do believe the tang mounted safety is superior.

3.  I really have to concentrate on not wrapping my firing side thumb around the grip on a conventional stock.  If I forget, I'll get rapped in the lip during recoil.  Pain in the ass...errr, Mouth!

4.  I don't like sidesaddle carriers, but I have a lace on buttstock carrier that I like.  Only problem, with a conventional stock, the shells press into the nerve junction on the inside of my wrist when holding the shotgun at low ready.  Not comfortable at all!  Pistol grip will alleviate this problem.

5.  Like others have said, easier to shoot one handed, though honestly, that is last on my list of "advantages".  For a pump gun, that means you got off one shot.  Yeah, that could be extremely useful at that one particular moment, but trying to cycle the weapon and get off another shot would seem like an exercise in how to get killed.  Transition to handgun seems a better option.  What?  You don't carry a backup handgun?  Shame on you!!  What kind of mall ninja, condo-commando are you!!?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

1.  My AR has a pistol grip (obviously) and I use a CQB solutions sling with a Daniel Defense single point sling loop as the rear attachment.  Getting a GG&G loop for the 870 would allow me to use the same sling configuration and feel.  

If you get the SST-870 stock kit for the 870 from Cavalry Arms, it sets the optics on the Picatinny the same height as on the AR, so you have the same cheek weld on both weapons, if you want the "same feel".
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#9]
its a very good feel actually, makes recoil control easier too
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:25:24 AM EDT
[#10]
The PG is a no-no on a Mossberg. Can't get to the safety.

I've also heard instructors from Gunsite claim the pistol grip slows access to the carrier release and transitions.

I'm sticking with a standard stock on my 870 for the moment.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I've tried both PG and regular stocks on my 590 and I never did like the way it handled with the PG stocks.

I currently have a Hogue stock on my 590 and am very happy with it.   I bought the package from Brownells that included the matching forearm.  Both are covered in rubber.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I've never heard anyone mention this before, and I was waiting to see if anyone else had this prob.  For me, shooting a stocked rifle is miserable.  My wrist just doesn't like to bend that way - it's weird.  I plan on every future and current rifle to have a PG.  Just me, I guess.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've never heard anyone mention this before, and I was waiting to see if anyone else had this prob.  For me, shooting a stocked rifle is miserable.  My wrist just doesn't like to bend that way - it's weird.  I plan on every future and current rifle to have a PG.  Just me, I guess.

Lower your elbow?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
3.  I really have to concentrate on not wrapping my firing side thumb around the grip on a conventional stock.  If I forget, I'll get rapped in the lip during recoil.  Pain in the ass...errr, Mouth!

The best part of switching to a PG was that my thumb was no longer an issue.

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Lower your elbow?

Actually, raising my elbow makes for less of an angle in my wrist.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top