Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/17/2004 12:26:46 PM EST

I have a few of these lying around for my .22lr, but they don't look overly useful to me. As far as I know, CCI is the only company that makes them.

I was thinking about picking up a few of these in .45 for my bugout bag, to be used in the woods popping birds or something. Has anyone ever tried to hunt anything with these? Squirrels in trees? Birds in flight? What kind of patterns do you get with them? What's the effective range? Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:34:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 1:12:41 PM EST by TomJefferson]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:03:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
Save your money man. Although they are outstanding for snakes and birds, they are pretty much useless unless you have a revolver or bolt action for I have yet to find the semi that will feed them.

.38 Snub revolver loaded with one is the best damn snake gun I've ever used.

They are quite effective short range about as far as you can throw a rock. After that they pretty much loose their effectiveness.

Tj

Ditto!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:44:51 AM EST
I keep some around home in 38 SPC for snakes and such. I carry a box or two in 40 Auto for nuisance vermin calls while at work, but I find the 40s dont cycle well in my Glock 22.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:03:26 PM EST
The 44 mag shot shells are also excellent for snakes out to 30 feet.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:48:46 PM EST
The .22lr cycle my Winchester 290 rifle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:41:49 PM EST
As they said, I've shot some in higher calibers that are fun to dink around with. However, in .22, I figure the shot capacity would be so low it would be all but worthless. Is this the case? Secondly, I'd love to get some in .44 mag etc as I think they would be blast, but what does all that do to you rifling?

Not trying to hijack here AvengR15, just wanted a little more info as I might give them a try.

Gundraw

P.S. P806, your Avatar is cracking me up big time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:03:13 PM EST
I shot some at bugs out of my .22 rifle, and even at a few feet, most of the bugs were disabled rather than killed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:53:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By BridgerNY:
I shot some at bugs out of my .22 rifle, and even at a few feet, most of the bugs were disabled rather than killed.

Bugs? How do BUGS equate or indicate performance level of shotshells against vermin?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:27:56 AM EST
Hmm I hunt pheasent with a 12ga and occasionally miss. I can't see shooting at a moving bird with a pistol caliber shotshell.

Maybe if you snuck up on the bird and got it while it was sitting in a tree, but then you would give away your position to everyone else.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:53:28 AM EST
I have used 9mm, 45ACP, .38 Special,.22LR and .22Magnum shotshells. The CCI brand seem to cycle my semi-autos well, but I say "seem" as they only come in 10 packs and ten rounds doesn't prove squat. Still, nice to have if you have a pest problem. The .22LR are more interesting in some ways. On the face value they are next to worthless. They are fun to plink with handthrown clay targets and cans. The problem is they don't pattern for shit. You will probably not be impressed when you fire them out of a .22LR rifled barrel. Beyond 10 feet you can forget it. Federal and Winchester used to make .22LR shotshells. I think (not sure) Federal still does. The Federal shotshells used to come in 50rd boxes, so they were (are?) a pretty good deal.

I have used .22 shotshells for removal of pests inside a barn. They are pretty puny, so they don't blow holes in the roof of the barn. A friend swears they are the best remover of bats he has ever used. It usually takes two shots, though. One shot dislodges them, another shot to dispatch them.

The .22 Magnum shotshells are a different game. Marlin made (makes?) a smoothbore for them. They are a lot louder but they are also a lot more effective.

The 9mm shotshell is one of my favorites as I have used it to chase down red squirrels that raid the bird feeders. I used to just shoot the birdfeeder AND the squirrel, but I have taken to a more sporting "rush them" approach. Good fun and often the squirrel escapes. Good luck and God speed, rodent. I am RELOADING. I live in a rural location so I can get away with games like this.

You can load your own shotshells for the pistol calibers. I have read plenty of articles about it. I would guess there are more articles written about it than there are people who have ever done it.

Best of luck,
Cheese

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:55:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By tcsd1236:

Originally Posted By BridgerNY:

Bugs? How do BUGS equate or indicate performance level of shotshells against vermin?

I don't know, I haven't shot other vermin. I'm just doubtful since it could only shoot some wings off and not puncture the body.

They were the winchester shotshells by the way, I'll have to try the CCI ones out.

Either way, I want a garden gun for shooting bugs with .22 shotshells
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:35:47 PM EST
I've used 22lr shotshells to dispatch 2 mice that wondered into my house one winter. As has been stated, you can shoot the shells into wooden structures without damaging everything in sight.

My Uncle and cousin who had an older trailer home years ago would keep a pair of 22 revolvers handy loaded with bird shot. They'd basically take turns scaring the shit out of eachother... One minute one or the other would be dosing off or watching TV- the next minute BAM! Followed by their usual, "Did you get him?"

I was visiting my cousin just before they got a new house and as we were watching a movie, the fricken spawn of satan himself buzzed our heads. I don't know how a fricken bat came in but he was there and he was moving all over the place. My cousin and I both dove for the 22 and he came up with it. As the thing dive bombed towards him my cousin fell to his knees and brought the gun up over his head and fired. Somehow, not even looking, he was able to bring the bugger down on a cabela's catalog. Since my cousin was laughing his ass and couldn't pull himself together I took the revolver and finished off and finished off the little beast. There was a small pattern on the ceiling where the shot hit but you'd pretty much have to be looking for it.

Other than that- in a 38-44 and most things in between- they work great on buzz worms. My other uncle packs arond a Charter Arms bull dog which has probably killed more rattlers than I've seen in my life. (I've seen a lot but he lives in real snake country)

Sly
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:17:28 PM EST
Ive tried the 44's in my charter bulldog, and after a shot or 2, the caps start to come off the end of the shell and jam the cylinder.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:04:24 PM EST
Problem is you are firing them out of a rifled barrel - just like trying to shoot shot out of a shotgun slug barrel.

A friend of mine had a .22LR revolver he used them in for snakes. However, the barrel was either worn out or bored out because it was smooth. He only used that revolver for this purpose and with the shotshells.

As stated, they are nice but after about 10 feet they are pretty dismal.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:13:06 PM EST
THey work great on snakes
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:23:13 PM EST
I load up #9 shot in Speer shot capsules in my .357 for snake duty. Work pretty well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:40:56 PM EST
I've used the .45 in my old ruger P90, never had a problem with feeding and they worked pretty good for red squirrels. Zapped a grouse at about 15 feet with one once, wouldn't trust them much farther than that tho.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:17:52 PM EST
used 22lr shotshells with great effect against pigeons. The Tri-cities were releasing the rats with wings in the country. Enviros "dont kill the birds", crap. Well the little shits headed straight for our barn, old cattle type. Anyway, killed 104 in three nights of action. Would spot light them, shot, turn light off, repeat. The good thing about the 22lr ones they wont put holes in the tin.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:57:42 PM EST
22lr shotshells work great against rats
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:19:26 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:21:20 AM EST
Mike that sounds awesome. Does it have a "routledge" counterbore on it? I have wanted one of those for years. Does the barrel look oversized (muzzle larger than .22?).

Thanks,
Cheese
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:41:02 AM EST
Mike, other than shooting vermin, exactly how are these smoothbore rifles being used that the owner can justify the cost of a new weapon for such a specialized use? Do some people really shoot that many snakes, etc? Or am I missing something here?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:05:47 AM EST
I can't speak for him, but a quiet "mini" shotgun you can use in your backyard is just plain FUN. That is all there is to it. This used to be a more popular thing to do in this country- they made miniature skeet targets and throwers for this purpose. There was a product called the Mo-Skeet-o that did just this.

If you are a wingshooter you are always looking for practice and for a gun to introduce someone to wingshooting that has none of the downsides- no blast and no recoil. I like .410s for this purpose, and mitigate the lack of range by (surprise) shortening the range and using open chokes.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:42:15 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:19:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By mike103:

TCSD, This gun is just a expensive toy. But then again they are all expensive toys. The best part about my purchase is that I picked it up from my FFL on a Friday night and left it in the trunk of my car because I had not told the wife about it yet. Sat morning I wake up and she is cleaning out the garage. I start helping her and we uncover a mouse nest in a drop cloth. I pop open my trunk, take the gun out of the box, load it up with shotshells I bought the same day, give it to my son and he kills five mice. My wife looks at me, looks at the new box and gun and says "you planted mice in the garage just to justify another new gun"? Funny as hell. MIKE.

Eh, OK. I need to be able to justify my gun purchases as more than expensive toys, but thats fine if it works for you.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:07:58 AM EST
Top Top