Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 2:55:23 PM EDT
Let's say I want to build up a 53 pistol on a bare Vector receiver with an A1 buttcap. Does it have to leave Vector as a 'pistol' receiver, or can my gunsmith simply mark it and register it that way?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:48:34 PM EDT
As long as a receiver has never been assembled as a rifle, it is legal to assemble it as a pistol.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:57:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/21/2004 4:59:12 PM EDT by ipsilateral_7]

This refers to your letter of October 1, 1992, in which you inquire
about the legality of manufacturing a handgun which utilizes a rifle
type receiver.

26 U.S.C. Chapter 53 # 5845(a)(4), the National Firearms Act (NFA),
defines the term "firearm" to include a weapon made from a rifle if
such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches
or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.

Utilizing the receiver of an existing rifle for the purposes of
manufacturing a handgun would constitute the making of a firearm as
defined above. Individuals desiring to make such a firearm must first
submit an ATF Form 1, Application To Make And Register a Firearm and
pay the applicable $200 making tax.

If an individual were to obtain a rifle type receiver that had not
previously been utilized in the assembly of a rifle, a handgun could be
made and not be subject to the provisions of the NFA. Verification
must be obtained from the manufacturer of the receiver to establish
its authenticity.

We trust the foregoing has been responsive to your inquiry. If we may
be of any further assistance, please contact us.

just make sure to keep your recipt and have the FFL that does the transfer or who ever you buy it off of notate stripped reciever on the reciept to be safe. As I understand it anyways.

Link to quote above
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:15:09 PM EDT
Sweet, thanks guys.
Top Top