Once upon a time (3 years ago) I did a very, very bad job at prepwork and laid a very ugly ACU pattern of Duracoat, which began chipping almost immediately.
I covered the abomination with black and tan spray paint, and in the past few months tried and mostly succeeded in stripping it clean.
Of course, since then I've read through the Pine Straw thread repeatedly, and decided spray paint couldn't be harder to remove than DuraCoat, so I went ahead and took the plunge.
Went with Rust-Oleum products, primer then Nutmeg (249070), decided it was "too brown" and resprayed a Fossil (249080) base and added textured Dark Olive (241253) and camouflage Earth Brown (1918).
I don't think it's too shabby, but I may continue to tinker in the future, just on GP.
IMO, you did a helluva job, it looks great. I would suggest painting at least one mag the same way. It would be a great looking package.
One of the best I've seen.
Thanks for the kind words fellas, although I just realized something which kinda makes me go "erps".
I went at an angle, which I think gives the weapon slightly racier lines than straight up and down.
Problem is, I wasn't consistent, and I've got it angled forward on one side, and backward on the other.
Much like car rims, you can't see what's going on with the other side and technically it shouldn't matter, but it is something I didn't realize at the time of spray, and was unintentional.
I went through a lot of testing before I broke out the pinestraw, and I'd like to relate what I found:
In the tacked thread there are different methods of application, some people use wood to hold the needles at a set distance.
When I did this I didn't get the defined "needle" pattern I was looking for, especially along the rounded edges of the rifle, .
So, what I ended up doing was taking my pine needles (and I used a lot less than most) and holding them roughly in a line between my index and middle finger, which formed a thin broom-type bunch of needles.
Then by holding these needles as close to the rifle as possible (if not touching outright) I laid on my spray at a distance of just a few inches, 6 or so tops.
The only reason I didn't just flop them down on the rifle itself is because I have a limited amount of needles, wanted to be able to pull them off and observe what I was doing as I was doing it, and I was concerned that the buildup of paint on the needles would transfer through as blobs.
I hit the rifle with green in stripes, then filled in with brown, then green again, and a little tan toward the end to give just a bit of highlight.
The great thing is you can just keep alternating colors until you get it where you want, if you have a bit much of any one just keep mixing them up until you get what you're after.
Worst case scenario is reapply the base coat and start over, or if too thick stripping it back down and really starting over.
You need to post these pics and words of wisdom in the tacked pinestraw thread.
You are being too hard on yourself, it looks great, well done.