Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2017 11:59:29 AM EDT
Hey guys. I'm sitting on some Cabela's points and want to use them to pick up a black powder revolver. Cabela's looks to mostly carry Pietta. What would be the best model to pick up if I plan on eventually doing a cartridge conversion down the line?

Also, which one will I have the easiest time sourcing appropriate sized bullets for? I reload .38 special and .357 mag, but understand those bullets would be undersized for the .36 cal bp revolver? How would a 45LC bullet size with the .44 cal bp revolver?

I appreciate the help!
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Somebody makes conversion cylinders of 45LC for the Ruger Old Army  and another model, possibly Remingtons.  Perhaps first find which guns these fit.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I had this article bookmarked in my gun folder, pretty good.  Give companies selling conversion kits at the end under "Conversions Today".  I'd guess you want Uberti or Pietta, they can probable advise.  Some of the Colt conversions will fire .38 Special which would be my choice.

http://www.guns.com/2012/12/13/the-cartridge-conversion-revolvers/
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I've thought about doing this many times.  My '51 Pietta has a sweet trigger and is accurate, but it's a pain to clean.  It's hard to justify the cost though.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I just a Taylor and Co .45lc conversion cylinder for my Pietta 1858. Honestly I think it WAS worth the $240 to get. My 1858 like pyrodex pellets but now Cabelas wont keep them in stock. Have to "order them" all the time now and add a $20 hazmat charge to the shipping charge. Loading is so much easier. So far I've just shot Aguila .45lc 200gr cowboy ammo through it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey guys. I'm sitting on some Cabela's points and want to use them to pick up a black powder revolver. Cabela's looks to mostly carry Pietta. What would be the best model to pick up if I plan on eventually doing a cartridge conversion down the line?

Also, which one will I have the easiest time sourcing appropriate sized bullets for? I reload .38 special and .357 mag, but understand those bullets would be undersized for the .36 cal bp revolver? How would a 45LC bullet size with the .44 cal bp revolver?

I appreciate the help!
View Quote

Late to thread so hopefully this is still of use to you. ".44" caliber percussion revolvers are actually .45s. E.g., the correct ball size for Pietta .44 caliber revolvers is .454.

As for .45 Colt, it works extremely well in Pietta 1858 Remingtons. My Pietta 1858 from Cabela's that I did a gated Kirst Konversion in .45 Colt:

Attachment Attached File

It shoots quite well with the Black Hills .45 Colt CAS loads -- 250 grain hard cast bullets at about 750 FPS. They will penetrate a ~12" pine log from about 10 yards.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I recently did a conversion on my Pietta.  Started as a Cabela bought 1860 Army.  Ended up as a 1851.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top