Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2001 9:55:09 PM EDT
Well I finally got the pics for the 1873 Lever gun my friend found in his grandfathers house. They arent very good at all. Im going ot try and get better ones but it might be awhile since he is at Humbolt State University. If anyone knows anything about it please let me know.

There isnt a picture of the wood, but its a awesome cherry colored wood. Really nice grain and still in really good condition. This rifle is in  incredible shape considering how old I thihk it is.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:59:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't let someone steal that one away from you. If it's original and hasn't been reblued or sanded it's worth $$$$. A friend of mine sold one last year for $6000 and it didn't have the condition of yours.

Byron
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#2]
A rifle in that condition is worth a mint. Try to have it appraised to validate it's authenticity. Do not take to the local gunstore or gunshow and try to trade/sell it off.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Its not mine as much as I wish it were. its a good friend of mines. There is no way that they are going to sell it, it has been passed down from generation to generation. Family deal. The reason he brought it to me was to find otu what it was, and to see if he needed to get a safe. I was looking around the web and found an auction site for these ol lever guns and someone had one that looked exactely like it except it was a 44-40 and he was asking 24,500. I about shit my pants when I saw that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#4]
You need to make SURE these people know just what a valuable item this is.  I've told people before about high value items, only to have them sell for a fraction of the true value.

A smart move would be to get an official appraisal, fully documented, and have this baby insured.
I saw one case of a man dying, and his son knowing nothing about guns, letting some slick antique dealer give him essentially nothing for them.
This one really should be in a museum so everyone can see what the West was won with.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#5]
That is one cherry looking '73 !!!
I am drooling as I type, I love those old lever guns!!! Ditto to what everyone else is saying, insure it, get a safe for it & then get it appraised.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Holy F*cking Shit! There IS still gold in California.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice piece!
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#8]
By all means make sure your friends know how valuable that rifle is!!! (if it indeed, is all original) Winchesters in this kind of shape are very rare and only go up in value,that rifle will gain more in value in 10 years than just about any mutual fund you can name, A beautiful rifle!
P.S. What's the bore look like? good bores always add $$$ to a rifle like this
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#9]
The bore definantly wasnt as clean as I would have liked to have found it, but its not horrible either. I think the rifle wasnt cleaned the last time it was fired. A little build up but I believe its still shootable if needed. Which I doubt anyone will be shooting it any now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top