Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 4:24:56 PM EDT
Got it for $129 at Bradis Guns in Camby, Indiana.  It's not unissued, but it is all matching numbers and the stock is in really good shape.  Absolutely covered in cosmoline!

I gotta go see about cleaning it up now.

Jim

PS: Cheap guns!! Sweet!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Well How about some PICS!!!!!

You just dont post about something like that, and not have PICS!!!!!!

Very very bad.......
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#2]
My bad, my bad. Here:

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey!

One of the best deals going...stock up on Wolf ammo!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My bad, my bad. Here:

home.insightbb.com/~jim-vicky/sks.jpg

You are now FORGIVEN, rejoin the fold..........

Looks good BTW.........ENJOY IT......
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#5]
It's now completely taken apart.  My God the cosmoline.  I think they must drop them in a vat of it, then pressurize the vat!  It's in everything!  In bulk!

Oops, I didn't take the bolt apart yet.  Need to do that.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#6]
YES, take the bolt apart, if you dont, the FP could stick out and give you slam fires, not a good thing.

Clean the bolts FP channel out real good, USE NO OIL, on reassembly.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Problem!  I can not persuade the firing pin retaining pin to come out!  I've been using a punch and hitting on the small end, but it won't budge!  What to do?

And what's the best way to get this cosmo off?  I've read about mineral spirits and baking in the oven.  Will baking in the oven stink up the oven?  (200 F for 10-20 minutes is what I've read)  Can't use mineral spirits because I need to do that outside and I want to start tonight!!!

Jim
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Take it to the car wash. It works like a charm.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Problem!  I can not persuade the firing pin retaining pin to come out!  I've been using a punch and hitting on the small end, but it won't budge!  What to do?

And what's the best way to get this cosmo off?  I've read about mineral spirits and baking in the oven.  Will baking in the oven stink up the oven?  (200 F for 10-20 minutes is what I've read)  Can't use mineral spirits because I need to do that outside and I want to start tonight!!!

Jim

For the firing pin retaining pin, ya just need to hit it harder!! Try soaking the bolt in something like mineral spirits or kerosene for a day or so to loosen it up first. As for taking off the cosmo, baking the stock is the best bet because stuff like mineral spirits and oven cleaner will only get the cosmo out of the top, but it will leave cosmo deep down in the stock. If you are worried about stinking up the oven, wrap the stock in tin foil and leave it on the dashboard of your car or even outside if it is hot enough. You can even try using a hair dryer to bleed the cosmo out. Hope this helps, Mike.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#10]
looks good, now go out and shoot the piss out of it
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:16:09 AM EDT
[#11]
COSMOLINE will weep out for years to come, I call it tears of JOY for being LIBERATED......
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:31:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I worked for about 3-4 hours tonight and the cosmoline is mostly gone.  All the small parts are really clean, but the barrel and receiver, I couldn't soak.  So I wiped and rubbed and so on and it's in pretty good shape.  

If I sand the stock will it lighten the color?  I think the top handguard must be a refurb piece, because it has a clear urethane like coating on it, maybe lacquer.  If I sand, what grit should I start at?  I was thinking something like 100 or 150?

Thanks,
Jim

ETA: I did finally get that stupid pin out.  I soaked in mineral spirits, then soaked with CLP.  Once apart, I soaked in mineral spirits and reassembled dry.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Take it to the range and put a few hundred rounds through it and the cosmoline drips right out.

Also, I notice with all the cosmoline that the firing pin may do a few light hits if not cleaned completely.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok, I have another question.
When I had the rifle in pieces, I could operate the gas port switch just fine.  Now that it's back together, it doesn't want to move.  What's going on here?  Is there a little too much compression on it from the gas piston?  It's in the launcher position now, I figure I can take the gas tube and handguard off and move it, but why won't it move?  Or is it just a lot harder to move when it's assembled?

Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ok, I have another question.
When I had the rifle in pieces, I could operate the gas port switch just fine.  Now that it's back together, it doesn't want to move.  What's going on here?  Is there a little too much compression on it from the gas piston?  It's in the launcher position now, I figure I can take the gas tube and handguard off and move it, but why won't it move?  Or is it just a lot harder to move when it's assembled?

Thanks,
Jim

You have to push the button down then move it as it is under pressure from a spring. Hope this helps, Mike.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:38:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I've answered my own question.  It turns out that the gas tube butts right up against the part of the gas port that turns.  Once the tube is squeezed into place, there is too much friction between them for the gas port to move.  I took it apart and turned it.  Fortunately, I don't need to use the launcher too much.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:06:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Take it to the range and put a few hundred rounds through it and the cosmoline drips right out.

Also, I notice with all the cosmoline that the firing pin may do a few light hits if not cleaned completely.

Do NOT do this without at least cleaning the cosmoline out of the internal workings of the rifle.  You risk damaging the rifle.  Also be sure to clean out the inside of the bolt very well, you may even need to take it apart.  IF you don't you run a good risk of having it slam fire and possibly even go full auto.  Needless to say this is very bad and you run the risk of having bolt parts flying backwards through your shoulder if something were to break while it's firing full auto.  The SKS uses a floating firing pin and you should be able to shake the bolt and hear the firing pin moving back and forth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top