Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2013 6:05:13 PM EDT
As the title says, I recently picked up a Mossberg Maverick 88. 18.5" barrel, 6 shot. Got it for $189 at Academy. Wanted a cheap gun to keep under the bed/in the truck while the good stuff stays in the safe.  

After doing some research, looking it over and doing some comparisons, I am trying to find a real good reason someone would spring the extra cash for a Mossberg 500 in the same conviguration. Brand new you're looking at another $180 or so.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 6:43:29 PM EDT
Quoted:
As the title says, I recently picked up a Mossberg Maverick 88. 18.5" barrel, 6 shot. Got it for $189 at Academy. Wanted a cheap gun to keep under the bed/in the truck while the good stuff stays in the safe.  

After doing some research, looking it over and doing some comparisons, I am trying to find a real good reason someone would spring the extra cash for a Mossberg 500 in the same conviguration. Brand new you're looking at another $180 or so.

Thoughts?
View Quote

Because the 500 is not made in Mexico. With that said, I have a maverick 88 with the 20" barrel and I love it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 7:01:51 PM EDT
Quoted:

Thoughts?
View Quote

The safety on the 88 is on the trigger guard  while the 500 has the safety on the rear of the reciever. Also the forearms are not interchangeable unless you buy the slide tube assembly.  But I see other posts on other gun sites that people bought a 500 HD/Field combo also has pinned on action the same as the 88. My first shotgun was an 88 and I still have it and take to the range once in a while. I also have tri-rail and a Streamlight TLR-1 light on my 88 as well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 5:00:47 AM EDT
My 88 has been running a steady diet of bird & buck flawlessly for a couple years now. I originally purchased it as a cheap host for a "Zombie" gun but I quickly lost interest in all the flo-green paint and doodads. It now sports a Knoxx folding stock in a scabbard placed in a strategic location within the house.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 1:13:03 PM EDT
Mossberg 500 has the safety in the correct location, and is drilled and tapped for optics.  Better yet upgrade to the 590 for a proper magazine tube, or a 590A1 and get all metal componants.

Mossberg/Maverick makes pump guns at different price points.  For the most part more money = more gun.  Now if the advantages are worth the cost, is a choice left up to the buyer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 2:54:33 PM EDT
As previously stated, it's nearly the same shotgun apart from where it's manufactured. The safety is in a different location and the finish is different. All the internals are interchangable but the forend is the real difference. The forend on the 500 is longer. I had one for years and didn't have a bit of trouble with it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 2:01:07 PM EDT
Quoted:

Thoughts?
View Quote

You done good with the Maverick 88 buy.  Killer price, will go bang everytime and makes an excellant truck/under the bed gun.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 3:52:46 PM EDT
I plan on having a 590A1 in the setup I want eventually. And I could see myself spending an extra $300 over a Maverick 88 for that long before another $180 for a 500.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:40:34 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because the 500 is not made in Mexico. With that said, I have a maverick 88 with the 20" barrel and I love it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

I just bought a 88 also. It clearly says "Made in the USA" all over it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:43:20 PM EDT
Quoted:

The safety on the 88 is on the trigger guard  while the 500 has the safety on the rear of the reciever. Also the forearms are not interchangeable unless you buy the slide tube assembly.  But I see other posts on other gun sites that people bought a 500 HD/Field combo also has pinned on action the same as the 88. My first shotgun was an 88 and I still have it and take to the range once in a while. I also have tri-rail and a Streamlight TLR-1 light on my 88 as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

The Mossberg safety is utterly USELESS with a pistol grip stock. I bought the 88 to use my cruiser PG that I had taken off of my 500 for that reason. A matter of preferance really. A lefty useing a regular stock would want the top tange safety.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:43:52 PM EDT
If you sat the two next to each other and played with them, you would see why.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:46:29 PM EDT
This is my salt water, beat to hell, bear defense gun.  It works w/o fail and the day it gets stolen out of my tent or falls out of a boat, not a single fuck will be given.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 12:34:57 PM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

Ha, they can put "made in America" stickers on it all day....but, I promise you that thing is made in Mexico. Im not knocking it, but the parts are made in Mexico and then assembled in Texas....probably by undocumented workers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 1:01:57 PM EDT
I paid $190 for a Mossberg 88. A few years later I picked up a 590A1 for $300 at a Pawn Shop. I guess they thought it was a 500. Between the two the 590 is definitely better made, but I have had zero issues with the 88.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 11:25:51 PM EDT
How do you remove the magazine plug on a maverick? A friend recently bought one for protection and she wants me to remove it. I unscrewed the threaded cap but it just removes the bbl?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:48:56 AM EDT
Remove the barrel. Hold gun with muzzle end down and shake. A wooden dowel will fall out of the mag tube hole.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:06:51 PM EDT
Ah, ok. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 10:36:22 PM EDT
Quoted:
I plan on having a 590A1 in the setup I want eventually. And I could see myself spending an extra $300 over a Maverick 88 for that long before another $180 for a 500.
View Quote

The difference isn't $180.

A Mossberg 500 with TWO barrels 18.5 and 28" combo) and the black plastic stock set sells every day for $289 at most shops (Big 5 etc.).

Cabelas had the wood stocked version for $299 last weekend.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 2:45:26 AM EDT
A Maverick 88 was my first shotgun, like a few others here. I wish I had kept it.
They're totally unremarkable, but they are also utterly reliable. I beat the hell out
out of mine, fed it everything that would fit in its chamber, and it never failed once.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 9:02:42 AM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

Mavericks are made in Mexico? Sure fooled me by the number of boxes I send to their Eagle Pass, TX facility on a weekly basis.

ETA Read further, and I can tell you, well I can't really, but I can assure you the components have USA origins.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:41:28 PM EDT
Quoted:

Mavericks are made in Mexico? Sure fooled me by the number of boxes I send to their Eagle Pass, TX facility on a weekly basis.

ETA Read further, and I can tell you, well I can't really, but I can assure you the components have USA origins.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

I've been to eagle pass and it is pretty much mexico. No shit it is less than a mile from the border. IIRC the metal comes from America, then send it over to be made into barrels, receivers..ect. Then it comes back to Eagle Pass, TX where it is "made in America". It might be different now, but this is how it used to be done.

ETA: Eagle Pass

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:09:03 AM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

Mavericks are made in Eagle Pass TX.
- The barrels are Made in Mexico
- The forarm assembly used to be made in Mexico as well.  (the quality difference of the bluing on US vs Mexico barrels is apparent from several feet away)
- The Receiver is made here.
Not sure about the misc small parts.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:16:15 PM EDT
For a under the bed/under the truck seat gun, who really cares? Most of us own guns made all over the world.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:34:48 PM EDT
Quoted:
For a under the bed/under the truck seat gun, who really cares? Most of us own guns made all over the world.
View Quote

This, but the argument they are having is why spend more for a better or perceived better mossy 500, not whether a mexican gun will function as a truck gun
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:40:08 AM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, I said I love my 88. I was just answering why the mossberg 500 cost more. I never said that it is not a good gun.
ETA: my guns that are not made here are from Germany and Belgium....and of course Mexico America since no one believes me, that the 88 is made partly in Mexico.
Top Top