Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Posted: 10/1/2008 3:56:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2008 4:04:05 AM EDT by drfcolt]
Got one of those basket-case British P-1853 Three Band Enfield 's from IMA-USA as a project.

Got one that was supposedly cleaned up a little, but it was still in real rough shape, but it was complete and the stock was not cracked or broken.

Didn't take any before pictures, but it turned out pretty good .....

Rifling is iffy, but I did fire it with both 58CAL balls and mini-balls ....

Photos ...........
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 6:04:29 AM EDT
Looks like it cleaned up nicely. The ramrod is either too short or going to far into the stock. Might want to check that out. I really like the lines of the '53 Enfield. Very classy rifle.
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 10:59:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By lew:
Looks like it cleaned up nicely. The ramrod is either too short or going to far into the stock. Might want to check that out. I really like the lines of the '53 Enfield. Very classy rifle.

I had the ramrod pushed in too far, that has been corrected - should be the right ramrod ....
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 11:52:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By drfcolt:

Originally Posted By lew:

I had the ramrod pushed in too far, that has been corrected - should be the right ramrod ....

Cool.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 6:01:02 PM EDT
Was this one of the cleaned up ones for $595 or one of the "as found" ones for $300?

I have been contemplating one myself, but most of the pictures on their site show severly cracked or chunks of wood missing out of the stocks.

WpnsMan
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 6:43:11 PM EDT
  I believe there to be a special place in Valhalla for people that restore old military weapons.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 3:21:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/11/2008 3:26:26 AM EDT by drfcolt]

Originally Posted By WpnsMan:
Was this one of the cleaned up ones for $595 or one of the "as found" ones for $300?

I have been contemplating one myself, but most of the pictures on their site show severly cracked or chunks of wood missing out of the stocks.

WpnsMan

This was one of the cleaned up ones for $595.

All they do is wash the stock down with some kind of stuff and clean up some of the rust.

Still very/very dirty and still plenty of rust.

These are guaranteed to be compete and a great starting point for a restoration.

A buddy of mine got one of the $250 (then) oringials and the stock is a a mess (cracks/chunks missing) and a few other missing parts - filthy beyond the definition of filthy.

You can get most repro parts for these guns, but why not start with a complete original and go from there - that was my thinking.

Great project - first time I did anything like this and I had quite a learning experience.

Fun and rewarding.

So much fun that I did one of the M-1878 Martini-Henry's - turned out great, also .... gotta take some pictures.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 6:44:42 AM EDT
Thanks for the info,

I have heard reports of people buying the $300 ones and getting complete guns with solid wood. Still on the fence about rolling the dice on one of those as the price difference is close to $300. The only use either options would see is residing on my wall and I'm a cheap bastard.

Very nice job BTW,

WpnsMan
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 11:09:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/11/2008 11:14:07 AM EDT by drfcolt]

Originally Posted By WpnsMan:
Thanks for the info,

I have heard reports of people buying the $300 ones and getting complete guns with solid wood. Still on the fence about rolling the dice on one of those as the price difference is close to $300. The only use either options would see is residing on my wall and I'm a cheap bastard.

Very nice job BTW,

WpnsMan

Now, my M-1878 Martini-Henry was the $275 un-cleaned version.

It was filthy beyond description, but was in beautiful shape physically - extremely nice under all of the crap - both internally and externally - great wood and metal - the bore looked new - even my local gunsmith noted how good it looked.

I was expecting a wreck and almost shit when I opened the box - very pleasently supprised.

You might want to try one of them.

Of course, the one that they have as an example on their web site looks like total crap.

They screwed up my shipping and maybe gave me a nice one because they felt bad .....
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:44:12 AM EDT
I have gotten two of the uncleaned jobs.  #1 turned out great!  #2... a different story.

#1 is going to be a shooter, I think.  Strong rifling, though there's a bit of pitting.  My only beef is the fore-end of the stock is too long!  My bayonet won't lock on because it doesn't go down far enough on the barrel to pass the sight post.  I'm hesitant to cut down the stock and redo it for the endcap to make it fit.

Before on #1

http://www.solfire.com/~flyingfennec/Photogeek/GoodStuff/2008/Enfield-Musket/DirtyLock.jpg

And after.

http://www.solfire.com/~flyingfennec/Photogeek/GoodStuff/2008/Enfield-Musket/Lock-Stock-Barrel.jpg

And the rest.

I cleaned it up with mostly denatured alcohol and simple green on the metal.  I'm thinking about trying some Murphy's Oil Soap on it, but I don't want to ruin that nice patina.  I did no polishing, just cleaning, on the brass.

#2 came out of the box pretty clean and I started out being pretty optimistic, but it seems all the yak fat is a pretty good preservative.  #2 had really bad pitting under the wood, a couple of the barrel bands are pretty eaten up and the retainer springs are very soft, not to mention the wood is rotten around them, too.

Also, the barrel is SMOOTH.  Doesn't look like it was ever rifled.  Also, the lock they sent me isn't for that rifle.  I'm going to have to dremel at the lock cavity to get it to fit, then find screws that fit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:03:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/19/2008 4:21:25 AM EDT by drfcolt]

Originally Posted By KC-10Boom:
I have gotten two of the uncleaned jobs.  #1 turned out great!  #2... a different story.

#1 is going to be a shooter, I think.  Strong rifling, though there's a bit of pitting.  My only beef is the fore-end of the stock is too long!  My bayonet won't lock on because it doesn't go down far enough on the barrel to pass the sight post.  I'm hesitant to cut down the stock and redo it for the endcap to make it fit.

Before on #1

www.solfire.com/~flyingfennec/Photogeek/GoodStuff/2008/Enfield-Musket/DirtyLock.jpg

And after.

www.solfire.com/~flyingfennec/Photogeek/GoodStuff/2008/Enfield-Musket/Lock-Stock-Barrel.jpg

And the rest.

I cleaned it up with mostly denatured alcohol and simple green on the metal.  I'm thinking about trying some Murphy's Oil Soap on it, but I don't want to ruin that nice patina.  I did no polishing, just cleaning, on the brass.

#2 came out of the box pretty clean and I started out being pretty optimistic, but it seems all the yak fat is a pretty good preservative.  #2 had really bad pitting under the wood, a couple of the barrel bands are pretty eaten up and the retainer springs are very soft, not to mention the wood is rotten around them, too.

Also, the barrel is SMOOTH.  Doesn't look like it was ever rifled.  Also, the lock they sent me isn't for that rifle.  I'm going to have to dremel at the lock cavity to get it to fit, then find screws that fit.

Nice job!!!!!

Here's what I did to mine:
- lots of soaking of lock parts and screws/bolts/misc parts in WD-40 and CLP and scrubbing with nylon and bronze brush
- 000-0000 steel-wool and dish-washing liquid on the stock/brass parts
- finish stock with four coats of Tung oil
- finish brass with Brasso
- steel-wool on the exterior metal with a light hit of blueing and more steel wool - smooths it out, but still lets the "old" there
- reverse electrolic rust-removal in the barrel
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:06:30 AM EDT
Would anyone be interested in cleaning one of these up for me?
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:24:38 AM EDT
height=8
Originally Posted By drfcolt:

Nice job!!!!!

Here's what I did to mine:
- lots of soaking of lock parts and screws/bolts/misc parts in WD-40 and CLP and scrubbing with nylon and bronze brush
- 000-0000 steel-wool and dish-washing liquid on the stock/brass parts
- finish stock with four coats of Tung oil
- finish brass with Brasso
- steel-wool on the exterior metal with a light hit of blueing and more steel wool - smooths it out, but still lets the "old" there
- reverse electrolic rust-removal in the barrel

After trying soap/water, I turned to the denatured alcohol.  Took a red shop towel wetted down with the DnA and wrapped it around a portion of the stock with some foil around it to keep the evaporation down.  Waited about 10 to 15 minutes then removed it and rubbed the fat off with another rag.  Also used a nylon scrub brush when things got a bit stubborn, too.

Small metal bits soaked overnight in DnA then scrubbed with various small brushes.  The barrel was subjected to a few squirts of Liquid Wrench, then scrubbed with a 24ga shotgun brush.  After realizing that was going to take too damn long, I did the electrolytic cleaning.  Took about a day of constant cleaning with about five or six liquid changes to get it anything near clean.

Damn fun project and I can't wait to shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:26:22 AM EDT
height=8
Originally Posted By THellURider:

Depends.   Where are you located?
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:39:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By KC-10Boom:

Originally Posted By THellURider:

Depends.   Where are you located?

Well, it would be going to Texas.
Top Top