Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 79
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Feel as though I should wait for the PERST-2, it is supposed to come out this month. But I am not sure if I want an on-board white light. Think it may be better to go with a PERST-3 with a separate white light. That is how I run my ATPIAL of course, and I have a Holosun LS420 which is ok (IR illum is absolute garbage) and the on-board white light is nice but those PERST LAMs seem to gain weight too fast.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the rear circle knob on the back of the pressure switch?
View Quote
If I am not mistaken it adjusts the intensity of the output.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Feel as though I should wait for the PERST-2, it is supposed to come out this month. But I am not sure if I want an on-board white light. Think it may be better to go with a PERST-3 with a separate white light. That is how I run my ATPIAL of course, and I have a Holosun LS420 which is ok (IR illum is absolute garbage) and the on-board white light is nice but those PERST LAMs seem to gain weight too fast.

If I am not mistaken it adjusts the intensity of the output.
View Quote
Aren't adjustments suppose to be on the laser device itself?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:44:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
HERE is a good thread page with some pics, info and video from Ivan.
View Quote
I think Anastasia needs a good ole American to give her a few shooting pointers. I would be happy to give her a hand. (The Perst-4 is pretty fuckin badass too!)
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
The power dial on the remote is a feature unique to the Perst. From what I gather, it lets you tune the power of each function as well. It's pretty damn cool if you ask me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What is the rear circle knob on the back of the pressure switch?
View Quote
Power control, I believe.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:20:00 AM EDT
[#6]
double tap
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The power dial on the remote is a feature unique to the Perst. From what I gather, it lets you tune the power of each function as well. It's pretty damn cool if you ask me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Atilla does that too. Very cool feature.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Hi guys, this isn't about the Perst-3. I am new at the night vision thing. But reading this thread, as I was shopping for my fist IR laser got me to order a 2IKS IR illuminator + IR laser. As well as a otal-c. I got them both in the mail today, and couldn't resist taking them out to tonight to compare.

I didn't get to shoot with them yet. So don't know how the 2 IKS will do on holding zero. But from what I have seen so far. I am impressed.

It was a dark and raining night in the PNW rain forest that I live in and I am new at this, so didn't take any photos, to worried I would ham hands and drop something... But from my perspective. The 2 IKS puts out a laser that's 3-4 times as bright the OTAL-C and it does a lot better at some area's where I was shining it about 100 yards. Much easier to see at that distance, and at that distance it tended to splash out a little light in the area that I shined it, and made it so I could see into dark areas. Where as at that distance the OTAL was just a dot.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:06:21 PM EDT
[#9]
The Iluminator (reason I ordered it). WOW I am impressed. It's a flood like turning on the IR on your PVS 14. Only it's like 10 times brighter and goes a good distance. It was easy lighting things up into dark areas at 75 yrds. But seemed to me that didn't work as well as just the laser when I went out around 100 yards, at that distance the brightens from it, seemed to only make the dark areas darker. BUT inside 75 yrds... to this newbee it's the bomb. I am impressed. But the only thing I had to compare it to was M600c Scout light with IR filter. That I was going to run with the otal. I couldn't even tell the M600 was on (then realized it was, but it was just that dim).... I had turned my gain all the way down because of how bright the 2IKS was.... That should tell you something.

The switch is going to take some getting use to though. It's strange. Push it, Laser on. Push it again. Laser off. No momentary laser. Tap it twice real quick.... laser on strobe. Push it and hold it down for a sec or so, release and tap again real quick, and poof a world of light with the laser still on. Seems to be the only way to turn the illuminator on. Like they were making it hard to turn it on, on accident. You have to work to get the flood light on.

Sorry for the lack of pics. But wanted to let you know what I thought and found. So far... I like it (if this is the budget model, now I really want to see one of there top end units). But still need to shoot with it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:09:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Ibuyre2, I am pretty new to NV too but I think I am getting it fast. Fully immersed myself by sticking in the ARF NV section, going out building a helmet rig and going nuts on IR stuff. Your results make sense though. The OTAL-C is an FDA restricted laser that only puts out 0.7mW, the Russian 2IKS+ is not FDA regulated and the laser puts out 4mW. The switch does sound strange, that seems to be unique to that switch and/or to the 2IKS+. My experience is with the PEQ15 and the Holosun LS420, the Holosun was a major disappointment. I'd sell but if I was being honest, I couldn't get close to my money back so I'll probably throw it on my HK USC. Comparing the ATPIAL-C and Dbal on paper alone, to the PERST-3, PERST-4 and soon to be released PERST-2, I am unconvinced to go outside the PERST unless I can get a smoking deal on an ATPIAL-C, Dbal or restricted PEQ. Really close to pulling the trigger on a PERST-3, if I can get a job I'd happily grab a MAWL.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Iluminator (reason I ordered it). WOW I am impressed. It's a flood like turning on the IR on your PVS 14. Only it's like 10 times brighter and goes a good distance. It was easy lighting things up into dark areas at 75 yrds. But seemed to me that didn't work as well as just the laser when I went out around 100 yards, at that distance the brightens from it, seemed to only make the dark areas darker. BUT inside 75 yrds... to this newbee it's the bomb. I am impressed. But the only thing I had to compare it to was M600c Scout light with IR filter. That I was going to run with the otal. I couldn't even tell the M600 was on (then realized it was, but it was just that dim).... I had turned my gain all the way down because of how bright the 2IKS was.... That should tell you something.

The switch is going to take some getting use to though. It's strange. Push it, Laser on. Push it again. Laser off. No momentary laser. Tap it twice real quick.... laser on strobe. Push it and hold it down for a sec or so, release and tap again real quick, and poof a world of light with the laser still on. Seems to be the only way to turn the illuminator on. Like they were making it hard to turn it on, on accident. You have to work to get the flood light on.

Sorry for the lack of pics. But wanted to let you know what I thought and found. So far... I like it (if this is the budget model, now I really want to see one of there top end units). But still need to shoot with it.
View Quote
Only 75? Wouldn't it make more sense to use a Perst 4 and a White/IR Light? But then again it would seem tricky to turn on 2 devices at once...
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#12]
It might go farther than 75 yrds, but from my limited one night playing with it. That's what it seemed like to me. Oh yes, I am sure there's lot's of other, better things. But I am new at this and well.... my budget went away quick.... I got the 2IKS because it was $275 and was both a illuminator and a laser. And wanted to share what I got and found, since I learned about it in this tread and some people on hear mentioned it. With me, we are talking NV on a shoe string.... lol I know I know, that's the army way ;). My PVS came with a mil spec shoe string. But really. I have two set ups. My loaner set is, super on the cheap. A "broken nvg 7" that I fixed and the 2IKS. Or that was my plan. So like $450 total for NOD and laser and illuminator. And to me, that really opened my eyes.... Like this is possible and anyone can get into this. But yes, it can get pricey quick. Still not sure if the 2IKS is for pistols or rifles, but to me this thing just screams. AK or ar pistol.... It's more than a hand gun unit (I think) but not really something for real distance. But seems perfect 75 yrds and inside. The laser will easily go 300 yards (did that, and it's still a line and dot out there) but you don't get any illumination. I am happy with it. It's mounted on a ar pistol right now, should do great in that role. One day, I hope to buy a Perst-3. This unit impressed me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh and the switches on these things are even stranger.... I found a English translation of the manual on web site we are buying them from. Click on the down load the manual, and it comes in English that way. Turns out, on the unit there's a 3 position switch. With center off. One way is laser the other is laser plus illumination. Turns out, with the remote switch installed. Each of the 3 settings of the toggle switch do different things, on the remote switch. Like a crazy number of different settings. No idea how you are supposed to keep track of all the different modes. But one thing I found sorta cool. One of them puts the illuminator into a strobe. Like a crazy bright strobe.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Just be mindfull you dont permablind someone, or yourseves.. thats the reason the FDA regulates the US ones.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just be mindfull you dont permablind someone, or yourseves.. thats the reason the FDA regulates the US ones.
View Quote
Don't even with that BS.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are people aware that these things have an OFF BUTTON? You have to be a real Zoolander to blind yourself with them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are people aware that these things have an OFF BUTTON? You have to be a real Zoolander to blind yourself with them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What? You don't stare into your emitter too? Its Russian roulette. Esp with a PERST
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Don't even with that BS.
View Quote
Is your real name skeeter or weasel? I can never remember.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Less of a ,zoolander to turn em on in a residential area and blind some poor random bystander.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 1:46:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I am going try to stay out of the conversation on the dangers of lasers. Thanks for the warning, and I can see how it would be a real danger. I will be really careful, but I have to say, we ARE talking about weapon sites, and things they are pointed at tend to have a lot more to worry about (but I have seen how they bounce around and reflect).  One nice thing I will give the Ruskies on this thing, is there's a lock out switch on the pad that locks the laser off. There is also a little tiny blue led that is visible to the naked eye, on the back of the unit to let you know when the laser is on. After all it's mounted on a gun I built, shooting ammo that I made, so there's a lot of adding risks there. But everything we do in life is risks.

Ok to the reason I got on hear to post. I was wrong. I just got home from the range. When I tested it the other night and said it was only really good for illumination to 75 yrds. I was in dense forest, the rain forest I live in... And no it was not shined around in any residential areas.  There's timber land and a big ravine next to my home, and that's where I was playing with it the other night. I wouldn't send the laser someplace it wasn't safe to send a bullet. But to my point. I had to turn my gain all the way down. I think all the light getting bounced back by the vegetation is what was causing me to think it was only good for 75 yrds.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 1:46:48 AM EDT
[#21]
The place I went shooting tonight was a gravel pit in the woods, that's 200yards. It's where I sight rifles and I know where 100yds is and 200 yds, and it's about 250 into the trees. Well out in the open. This 2IKS+ lit that place up like day. I could clearly see targets at 200yards, and could even shine the tree line and see into the trees at 250yards. I mean if it was a field, or even scattered trees, I could id a coyote at 200yrd with this thing. I was not expecting anything like that at all.... Left my tiny metric allen's at home so I wasn't able to zero it. But it was close, and I was AMAZED by the illumination. I have to get a illuminator like this to go with my OTAL-C. I couldn't sight in the OTAL because my illumination on that rifle was so sad, that I couldn't even see my target. Also on this sighting them in, I can see how this is going to be a little tough between getting enough illumination and not getting bloom off the target that screws up your aim point. lol after playing with the 2IKS+ I didn't even really want to mess with the OTAL.... But I have it and will set it up with a illuminator. Recommendations?

On the switch. I couldn't find any modes that were illumination only. You ALWAYS get the laser. Not sure yet if that will be a deal breaker, but tonight, it would have been nice to just have a illuminator like that, with no laser, not on a gun. Next. I found a setting that is momentary on both light and laser at the same instant. That's how I am going to use it. I like that setting. Just wanted to share, since I was so wrong about this thing, from playing with it in the forest. Completely different out in the open. At least to me. This is a real learning experience.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Not that he needs it, but Harlikwin is legit.  I wouldn't pick a fight with him just cuz he gets a little preachy or smart-ass sometimes.

These Roosian IR lasers sound interesting.  But yes, getting a full-power laser/illum does come with some responsibility, also IMHO.  But the dude said it right, treat it just like a firearm.  So yeah, rock on.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't want to pick a fight with anyone, yep I know probably in the wrong place for that attitude ;). I have read his posts over the years, and he is a wise man, and a real value to the community. IMHO he is right, and it needed to be said, for new people like me. If someone had bad intent, or if they where clueless about these things (and I am a little bit, I am just in the default of treat it like a gun and all guns are always viewed as loaded). It could be super dangerous. So yes, risks and responsibility, just like a firearm. These aren't toys.

I don't know how I missed it before. BUT they make this model in two types without the laser 2D-ir and the 2P-IK, and they tell about the illumination in the description of those products.

2D-ir is 370 lm (how are they rating lm in something that's ir?) 4 deg "hot spot" and 300M range.
2P-IK (that I think is on the 2IKS+, that I am using) is 370 lm, 6.5 deg "hot spot" and 200M range. And that fits with what I found.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks Diz...

I dont say these things out of spite, but because sadly there are plenty of dumbasses out there. With guns, with lasers... etc.

A good rule of thumb is that an apital illuminator in low could cause blindness at 25-30m and 50-60m on high when it was cranked into a tight spot. The aimers were much higher, but you have a much harder time hitting an eyeball with them 200m on high iirc.

The problem with it is that by default you are using an illuminator because you can't see well enough in the first place. A second a bigger problem is that many people dont think about these things the same way as firearm. Its a flashlight what harm can that do...

Best safety practice is to crank the illuminator open all the way before use then tighten down to what you need. Same with low/high power. Those training limiters were there for good reasons. Its not tacticool, but it is safer. And the chances of folks here being legit tacticool are low.

Also lemme guess no NOHD distances are give in glorious russian documentaion?
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Is your real name skeeter or weasel? I can never remember.
View Quote
Or folks could not not spout off nonsense.

Like hey don't point high powered IR emitters at the eyes of folks you don't intend to cause harm to. What a concept.

Everybody wants to be a little turncoat G man now a day it seems. It's like the vogue thing to do in gun community.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Care to enlighten me on what nonsense i was spouting? Bro...
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks Harlikwin. That's all good info to know, and your sure right. No NOHD, or anything else for that matter. Quite the other way. They have a video up demonstrating a Perst 3 and Perst 4 and one of them is a real beast, I think 20mw laser with like a 500mw illuminator. And they did the video shining it around in a city park and pointing it at a person, and there was cars driving by not that far behind the guy. I cringed watching the video... I don't know much about these, but even I know that's BAD.... I have gotten flashed with red and green lasers at work, and thinking these are even worse, because you won't react to it. But even if you react, damage is done. Thanks for posting that about NOHD. It's a good thing for everyone to think about, and we aren't just talking the laser dot hear people... We are talking about the illuminator as well. I bet a lot of people don't think about that part. I know I hadn't till, reading your post and went hmmmm.... But that's laser illuminators, like a apital, or maul or D2 or perst 3. This 2IKS+ uses a led and reflector, so that would in my mind, make it more like a really bright flashlight, also something you don't want shining in your eyes. BUT it always has the laser in the middle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 12:32:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Like hey don't point high powered IR emitters at the eyes of folks you don't intend to cause harm to. What a concept.

Everybody wants to be a little turncoat G man now a day it seems. It's like the vogue thing to do in gun community.
View Quote
He wasn't saying "you shouldn't have one," he was saying "they're dangerous, hence why they're regulated."

Telling people to be safe is never a bad thing, and isn't the same thing as saying "ban xyz."
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Isn't there less of a concern with the illuminator, as opposed to the laser, as the laser has all the energy focused in one tiny beam whereas the illuminator is less focused and scattered over a much larger area?
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 1:43:43 AM EDT
[#30]
556Nato. That's what I thought to. Watch out for the laser beam and treat it like a bullet. BUT what I think, I have just learned from Harlikwin (I probably read that post of his over 4 times... running all the numbers and distances thought my head) is that the illuminator is also very dangerous and can cause also cause blindness and eye damage. And that's over a much larger area (and would be super easy to get into someones eyes, kinda scary), but shorter distance, depending on power and focus as he described. And it makes since now that I think about it. And the reason that the FDA keeps the illuminator power down as well. That Perst 3 is down right scary now.... Correct me if I am wrong, I am just trying to learn hear, and stay safe, my self and everyone else.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Isn't there less of a concern with the illuminator, as opposed to the laser, as the laser has all the energy focused in one tiny beam whereas the illuminator is less focused and scattered over a much larger area?
View Quote
Yes and no. IMO the illuminators are more dangerous because they are hitting a larger area and typically one right in feont of you. Yes the overall NOHD range is shorter, but the area illuminated is much larger, therfore riskier for specular reflection or lighting up your buddy. Aimers have more concentrated IR light for sure, but its less probable you will blind anyone with it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
556Nato. That's what I thought to. Watch out for the laser beam and treat it like a bullet. BUT what I think, I have just learned from Harlikwin (I probably read that post of his over 4 times... running all the numbers and distances thought my head) is that the illuminator is also very dangerous and can cause also cause blindness and eye damage. And that's over a much larger area (and would be super easy to get into someones eyes, kinda scary), but shorter distance, depending on power and focus as he described. And it makes since now that I think about it. And the reason that the FDA keeps the illuminator power down as well. That Perst 3 is down right scary now.... Correct me if I am wrong, I am just trying to learn hear, and stay safe, my self and everyone else.
View Quote
Exactly. The other issue is that folks dont "think" its dangerous. Part of the reason I use duals is to prevent that "oops" eye damage, same for cups...
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

He wasn't saying "you shouldn't have one," he was saying "they're dangerous, hence why they're regulated."

Telling people to be safe is never a bad thing, and isn't the same thing as saying "ban xyz."
View Quote
Neither I nor the FDA want skeeter or weasel to have one... And while there are plenty of safe/responsible people out there it only takes one skeeter or weasel to ruin it for everyone.

Just like that "hunter" that killed some poor fucker with a thermal because they didn't get PID...

But im sure permanently blinding someone is better in skeeters eye.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks Harlikwin. I think you just taught a bunch of people (including my self), that illuminators are really dangerous, and may have just saved some eye balls in the process. Thanks. I know up till this thread, my concern was the obvious laser aimer. With the thought that, well it's weapon mounted and, muzzle discipline doesn't stop just because it's dark. Always be aware of where you weapon is aimed. But this is a whole other thing. Because it's a large area and it can reflect back to you up close and do the damage. Not just a bore lined point of light. It's a flood of trouble up close. Like when I was in the dense forest and had to turn my gain all the way down.....    Scary thought in a building with glass and mirrors... Or other shiny things, chrome, water, lic plate. The shiny pot or skillet someone hung up as a cheap short range gong at the range, you didn't know about at the range.... wow... I think this should have it's own thread, hope all new guys get this.

I had never thought about that, about duals and cups. Will the PVS-14 protect that one eye? And in the case of duals protect both of them? If so wow that's a real good reason to be using duals, because now I can see how reflection, or getting shined by someone, from the illuminator could be a real threat. Thanks again for the education and I don't think I am the only person learning something hear.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 12:10:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I had never thought about that, about duals and cups. Will the PVS-14 protect that one eye? And in the case of duals protect both of them? If so wow that's a real good reason to be using duals, because now I can see how reflection, or getting shined by someone, from the illuminator could be a real threat. Thanks again for the education and I don't think I am the only person learning something hear.
View Quote
It all depends where the light is coming from. Its less of an issue from the side, so eyecups are one of those judgment calls, without them you don't have to worry about fogging, and you dubiously have peripheral vision. Obviously from the front, the NVD will protect your eye from direct light (you know, from your buddies skeeter and weasel that think its fun to light you up at 10 yards on high)  also from any indirect reflected light. And yeah the PVS-14 will protect one eye... The other good reason to use duals is they also protect you from tree branches and other physical hazards.  It all depends on your circumstances. I for one tend to be pretty leery if I know other folks (including my buddies) are fucking around with IR lasers.

I don't want to overstate the hazard of laser illum, but also I don't want to understate it. Its a function of how much IR energy is getting in your eye, and illuminatiors are pretty indiscriminate, and there are good reasons .mil has those funny training cutoffs you can only take off with an allen wrench on high power IR lasers. And those are the same reasons the FDA cites when regulating them. At least with .mil, if pvt snuffy ends up with a laser eye injury, there is some chance they are gonna figure out pvt dumbass did it. And at least snuffy gets disability. Not so much with skeeter n weasel fuckin' 'round. And yeah yeah I know, "muh freedom" but that also comes with "muh responsibility"...
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 12:40:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Can always get laser eye pro if you are so concerned, behind your NODS.

I’d be more pissed if my buddy points a gun at my face. I don’t shoot with those kinds of people.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 1:06:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Can always get laser eye pro if you are so concerned, behind your NODS.

I’d be more pissed if my buddy points a gun at my face. I don’t shoot with those kinds of people.
View Quote
I was going to say the same. A buddy that points a gun at me is no longer a buddy. A ventilated ex buddy.

Its good to be safe though you can't hate the message. I look at rubber eyecups more so from a "so others can't see a green/ whitish blue glow on my face" perspective. Don't know that chances of a laser coming in from that angle and doing damage are very high but I suppose its another pro to the eyecup.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 1:49:52 AM EDT
[#38]
I am with you guys on not being around or having "friends" that point guns at you. That was my whole, anything that's got one of these pointed at them has a whole lot more to worry about. I was more.... surprised/concerned, new to me idea,  that the illuminator that's putting out a giant cone of light, might bounce off something close and come back into my eyes, or those of someone else.... and cause eye damage.  I have just seen how light can reflect and bounce around.  Seen a lot of pic and video of people pointing them at cars that are less than 30yds away (whole lot of things for it to bounce off there).  Shoot I had it shining back at me from a tree branch I didn't notice that was like 10-15' away. Easy to have that happen in the forest. It's just a danger I didn't think of, and I bet most guys new to this don't. I mean look at all the youtube vids of guys staring into bright IR illuminators, to see if they can see a faint red or violet glow.... Saw more than a few, and they made me cringe. But those weren't lasers, but they where BRIGHT lights.

The laser protective glasses sound like a really good idea. Especially if there's more than one people using them IR lasers... What models have you guys found you like, that work well with NOD's? I was just looking and most of the ones I found looked kinda thick or spaced away from the face (for glasses to fit under) and would seem to me to be a pain to ware with a PVS-14.  Any low profile one's you guys like? I am also not wanting to be overly paranoid, just trying to learn, and stay safe. And education about such things, keeps people new to this safe.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Part of the reason I use duals is to prevent that "oops" eye damage, same for cups...
View Quote
Thats comical, you dont need to use that as an excuse for duals. Have you ever meet anyone that has damaged their eyes with a laser?
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I never thought about the illuminator on the Perst-3 being dangerous, but it makes sense.  I'm glad someone said something.  Not that I would ever point my gun at someone, but it sounds like just like with the aiming laser you need to be mindful of reflections.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#41]
If you are looking for eye pro that works to protect from lasers, Revision makes them. They are designed for military applications where eye pro is needed around high powered lasers.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 6:47:14 AM EDT
[#42]
If your looking at the Perst-3 it would be a best to wait awhile for the new Perst-2 (Battery 18650, weight 363g, vis light 700 lm, IR light 500 mW, vis green laser 15 mW, IR laser 20 mW) to come out, I think the price will be around the same as the Perst-3 if not a little bit more, I have the older Perst 4 and have loved it since I received it, only thing I don't like is a no integrated IR illuminator but it is what it is and I will probably save up for a Perst-2 in the future, a Surefire Vampire will fix the no illuminator for the most part but makes activation a bit of a pain, the Perst 4 laser is more than enough and I mainly shoot on the lower settings to avoid bloom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc-s86V2eF8
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you are looking for eye pro that works to protect from lasers, Revision makes them. They are designed for military applications where eye pro is needed around high powered lasers.
View Quote
Just make sure the actual laser frequency you want blocked is the one you buy. Mil lasers work on a variety of freqs....
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thats comical, you dont need to use that as an excuse for duals. Have you ever meet anyone that has damaged their eyes with a laser?
View Quote
There are a multitude of reasons to use duals, thats yet one more, minor advanatge. And yeah, actually I know people with laser light damage or actual blindness (lucky for him it was one eye only). OOPS takes less time to happen than it takes to say OOPS.... You can be cavalier about it all you want but it can and does happen. It has a far greater probability of happening if you know a bunch of dipshits that don't think its worth worrying about.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 11:37:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If your looking at the Perst-3 it would be a best to wait awhile for the new Perst-2 (Battery 18650, weight 363g, vis light 700 lm, IR light 500 mW, vis green laser 15 mW, IR laser 20 mW) to come out, I think the price will be around the same as the Perst-3 if not a little bit more, I have the older Perst 4 and have loved it since I received it, only thing I don't like is a no integrated IR illuminator but it is what it is and I will probably save up for a Perst-2 in the future, a Surefire Vampire will fix the no illuminator for the most part but makes activation a bit of a pain, the Perst 4 laser is more than enough and I mainly shoot on the lower settings to avoid bloom.
https://i.imgur.com/zXY7wosl.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc-s86V2eF8
View Quote
Who would have thought the first people to make a 18650 LAM would be the Russians any ETAON THE PERST-2?
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 12:05:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Who would have thought the first people to make a 18650 LAM would be the Russians any ETAON THE PERST-2?
View Quote
On a YouTube video Zenitco mentioned January: https://youtu.be/JKYqYDCFzU4. So far they are late

After thinking about it, I am kind of feeling the white light separate. Less settings to memorize, great choice of weaponlights are already out there, and it mimics most other systems. Not to mention PERST-3 is cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 1:28:55 AM EDT
[#47]
I have been flash burned by lasers twice. Like a eye burn from welding, felt like someone pored sand into my eye or eyes and it was several days before things went back to normal. I was lucky. If they would have been IR, I would probably be blind. So maybe that's why I took Harlikwin's advice so to hart. If you work around a bunch of people that are using lasers it WILL happen. Both mine where in construction, a guy doing T-bar ceiling had a rotating red laser (that wasn't rotating, but was on) it was about ten feet away from a door pointed at the door at eye level. Walked though the door and bam right in one eye.... I instantly reacted, but that eye still wasn't right for a couple days, and it hurt.... If that would have been IR, I wouldn't have known and wouldn't have reacted.

Another time.... walked into a bathroom that was under construction. And the tile guy had a cool contraption set up on a green laser. It projected all the grout lines all over the room, and well one of the lines was right at eye level as you walked in. That time got both eyes, but not as bad as the first time. But it happens in a instant. And it sucks.... with IR you don't even know it's happening till it's to late. So yah maybe I am a little gun shy.

Looking at those glasses, seen a couple people recommend the sawfly by Revision. I haven't been able to find the laser lens for sale on line anywhere. They are listed on Optics Planet as discontinued, but doesn't tell the Feq they protect. Saw several types on Amazon, with mixed reviews about weather or not they even work... and they list like 200-2000nm. To me it's odd for them to have that broad of a range. I am thinking I want something 800-950nm or so (thinking that would cover most IR guys are using).
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

On a YouTube video Zenitco mentioned January: https://youtu.be/JKYqYDCFzU4. So far they are late

After thinking about it, I am kind of feeling the white light separate. Less settings to memorize, great choice of weaponlights are already out there, and it mimics most other systems. Not to mention PERST-3 is cheaper.
View Quote
I agree. Plus you can have instantly available white light without having to dick with a mode selector switch. To me that's a big deal, and Steiner was smart to include a visible override port on their A4. The Ruskies need to do that too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Looking at those glasses, seen a couple people recommend the sawfly by Revision. I haven't been able to find the laser lens for sale on line anywhere. They are listed on Optics Planet as discontinued, but doesn't tell the Feq they protect. Saw several types on Amazon, with mixed reviews about weather or not they even work... and they list like 200-2000nm. To me it's odd for them to have that broad of a range. I am thinking I want something 800-950nm or so (thinking that would cover most IR guys are using).
View Quote
I'd buy laser gogs from a reputable source, I have no idea on revision goggles, but often .mil gogs and filters are geared toward protecting people from NdYag lasers that work around 1064nm not the typical 850nm that IR illuminators work at. Also, id check what frequency your specific laser is using, IIRC I've seen some russian lasers listed as 830nm.

Also, speaking of laser eye injuries, IIRC we had a member here a few years ago that manged to blind himeself in one eye, something like he left the laser on, took off his nods and managed to look into the beam. I can't recal if he was permanently blinded or not. So for all the bravado here it can and does happen.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I couldn't help but think as I was putting the gun with the laser in the safe. That OMG, if that thing was turned on somehow on accident... and it does have a pressure pad. So yep... the guns with the "beams"go in the safe muzzle down... lol But maybe I am a little paranoid.

On the white light topic. I played around with hitting the white light wile I was still under nods. And I like a white light at 150-300lm with to me about 200 being perfect. I know a lot of guys now of days are running more is better. But 5 maybe 10 years ago. I was with a bunch of guys and we ran a bunch of drills in dark houses and we found that if the light was over 300lm or less than 100lm the guys times would go up, same guys running the same drills with different lights. That you where faster with a 200lm light than a 1000lm light. Because if your using it momentary it takes your eyes longer to adjust.  And for us it showed on the clock. My point. I tested a 200lm white wile using my NVG7. I found that it looked the same as if I had turned on a strong ir flashlight, and the 200lm white was a little less than the 2IKS+ on IR. Just made me go hmmmm. But yes. I think (but I am new) that is't good to keep white separate from IR so you don't use the wrong one on accident, and spook what you are stalking. But I am still learning something totally new to me.
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top