Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/24/2005 9:01:13 AM EDT
I’m a newb to G3s, but I’ve got the fever bad. I’m hoping for any comments about recoil on these rifles, in particular the JLD rifles.

I have an AR-10 and STG58; the recoil of these rifles is not a problem to me. From what I’ve read on some other forums, the JLD version of the G3 is said to be stouter than other clones.

I was interested in a G3 clone from Ohio Rapid Fire, but they haven’t been the swiftest in returning calls/e-mails to my FFL, and for a few more dollars, it looks like I can get a JLD basic model.

Somewhere I read the JLD has a different buffer system from most G3 clones resulting in stouter recoil. A Gun Tests article from earlier this year tested a JLD and in fact mentioned that the rifle seemed to have stronger recoil than other G3s, but the author was going from memory as the article was comparing 3 different roller-locking designs with only the JLD being in 308.

Any comments on JLD perceived recoil in comparison to other G3s or to other 308 battle rifles would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:29:52 AM EDT
I do not think the recoil of the PTR91 is any more than the CETME rifles or some of the other H&K clones. I just got done firing my PTR91, about 40 rounds, at 100 and 200 yards. The recoil of this weapon is not unpleasant. I am not very recoil concious though. Buy the PTR, you will like it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:07:08 AM EDT
Mine has no more recoil than any other HK91. Buy one and if you do not like the recoil yo can always change the buffer out for a heavier one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:59:19 PM EDT
I think my PTR-91 kicks less than a real HK91
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:23:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DeadSled:
I think my PTR-91 kicks less than a real HK91

Its possible due to the heavier barrel of the PTR91.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:27:18 PM EDT
Not that I noticed. You will not regret buying a PTR-91
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:38:36 PM EDT
That's great news. Thanks for the replies.

Next question: Will the paratrooper model with the collapsible stock have significantly higher recoil than the standard buttstock?

A review in American Rifleman noted that with the collapsible stock, it's awkward to use optics, but I don't plan on using anything but the iron sights with this rifle. Of course, the additional cash for the paratrooper may negate this idea anyway.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:53:28 PM EDT
The collapsible stocks are sometimes referred to as meat tenderisers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:45:14 AM EDT
No I have the K/P model and have both stocks for it the sensation is different but not harder when using the collapsable.
FYI I think the collapsable has a real collapsable style buffer, and teh regular stocks buffer is not much of a buffer.
Top Top