Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2002 5:56:23 AM EDT
I recently picked up a used Leupold scope with a glossy black finish.   I  don't like the  glossy finish at all and would like to change it to camo or just flat black.  Any suggestions?    Just dust it with flat black to cover the shine?   Could I damage the scope?   What do the scope manufacturers say?

Thanks
Zog
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 6:14:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Many guys on here have painted their scopes, but I can't help cringing a little bit when someone talks about it.

I think your best bet is to just put a very light coat on it to knock off the shine.  The scopes are built to be waterproof so you probably won't damage it by just painting it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out Lauer, they have a product called Duracoat that comes in an Aerosol.
   www.lauerweaponry.com/
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a GOOD quality flat black engine enamel........works for me.....just make sure the ends are TOTALLY masked....and give it a day or two to dry..........
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#4]
For Camo finish use Bowflage (I think Brownell's sells it) and if you mess up or want to change the color per the seasons it is removable. Comes in 4 or 5 colors.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#5]
AND.....the thing must be COMPLETELY free of oil etc, before painting........
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Most of you have seen it a million times but here is mine

I used Boflage.  Function of the scope is still perfect.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top