Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/1/2001 4:55:11 PM EDT
I have a chance to buy 6 new in package preban Pachmayr 13 round mags at $25 each. I got to see one today and it was SS with "Made In USA" stamped on one side and had bubber bumper pad on the bottom. It looked like well made mag but I don't know anything about Pachmayr mags. Are these any good and who makes them (I don't think Pachmayr actually makes any mags themselves)?

I don't have a BHP right now but I plan on getting a one soon so I want to stock up on these mags if they are good.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:28:02 PM EDT
I sure wish I knew. IIRC, the preban price for the sts Pachmayr mags was about $25, so you are definitely not getting gouged. If I had access to them, I would definitely pick them up!

If the fit and finish looks good, and the weld lines are solid and polished out, I think you'll be ok. The thing I have noticed about a lot of non factory BHP mags is that the tubes generally are thinner sheet than the factories, to the point where you can heft them and feel the difference.

Like someone said a couple of days ago, the good thing about the BHP, is that it does pretty well even with the crappy aftermarket mags. I have a couple of USA mags that don't do bad at all, but they are so crappy looking that they live in a cardboard box.

BTT
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 10:29:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:55:10 AM EDT
The mags are as good as any out there.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 2:12:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stokes:
Pachmyer buys their mags from MecGar.

Quality pieces that you should buy, or turn my way!

Italian-based Mec-Gar is the OEM on a lot of the pistol mags. Should be good mags. I have some real Browning mags with "made in Italy" stamped on the box.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 2:24:26 PM EDT
I was told today from a co-worker who has a same mag for his BHP that the mag body and follower are very good but the spring gets soft quickly if left loaded for long period of time.

I guess I'm going to buy all the mags and get some replacement Wolf mag springs.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 2:33:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:29:45 PM EDT
Well, I got them on the way home tonight. He found 2 more that were not in the package which he said he used several times at the range so he gave those to me for $20 each. Even these "used" ones look new. So I got all 8 for $190. Now all I need is a BHP to go with these mags
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:52:04 PM EDT
Lucky bastahd... :)

Enjoy your shiny new mags. The BHP kicks ass.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 8:37:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SUNDOG:
I bought a whole bunch of Pachmayr (Mec-Gar manufactuers them) for the 92F Beretta. ALL of the mags had "Made In Italy" stamped on the side wall of the mags. The only time I have seen "Made In USA" on Pac. mags is post ban made ones.
Buyer beware....

Oh shit... but wait, all the postban hi-cap mags from Mec-Gar that I've seen have metal body on the top 3/4 and plastic on the bottom 1/4 or they have those deep grooves on the side that prevents the ammo from staggering. I don't remember seeing any postban Mec-Gar that can be converted to hi-cap by changing just the follower... that would be illegal to produce.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 9:17:04 PM EDT
From what I have seen on this site, LEO mags must be explicitly marked as such or else the high-cap is presumed legal.

I definitely DO remember that Pachmayr marketed sts mags for the BHP before 1994, although I don't know the country of manufacture.

If you are still concerned, maybe give them a call and ask for manufacture information. I think they were located in Monrovia, California, of all places.

Cheers
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:46:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ustulina:
I definitely DO remember that Pachmayr marketed sts mags for the BHP before 1994, although I don't know the country of manufacture.

If you are still concerned, maybe give them a call and ask for manufacture information. I think they were located in Monrovia, California, of all places.

Cheers

Pachmayr's is no longer based in Monrovia, Calif. They were bought out by Lyman's(the reloading component manufacturer) a few years ago and moved them to their location in Middleton, CT.
Top Top