Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2002 6:42:58 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience w/PT sights?
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]
My single experience was "not so much", in fact they blew. They were good about it.

I prefer Triji's - yeah I have sent those back too, and they were GREAT about each time.

As an owner of Mepros, Ashley, Triji, and PT - I will take Trijis.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I was think Meps but TopGlock.com has a nice package inc. PT's.

Why did the PT's blow?
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing beats Trijicon for brightness, durablilty and longevity when it comes to tritiums.  Im not even going to say IMHO.  I'd fight to the death on that one.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Have PTs on two of my Kahrs. I like the different color rear sight (I chose amber) for my wife, as they give her a better chance of correct alignment if SHTF in the dark. The rear elements are significantly dimmer than the uncolored (green) front sight, though (actually, this may be an advantage as the eye is drawn more to the front sight).

My Glock 27 (main carry gun) came with factory Meprolights - all green - and I like these just fine too. In all honesty, my presentation from the holster is so ingrained that I don't worry about sight alignment at all. The all-green sights seem to be a little brighter, which I like.

So there you have it... if you get a lot of stick time drawing from the holster (i.e. IPSC shooting), then use the brightest same-color sights you can find. If you are only an infrequent or cassual pistol shooter, then the different color units from PT are worth serious consideration.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Just to clarify why I like Trijicons...

Ive seen the inserts work out of Meprolite pistol sights on NUMEROUS occassions.  I have yellow/green combination sights on my Wilson 1911, and they are made by PT. Neither company is anywhere near as bright as Trijicon and they dont seem to hold their brightness as long.  BTW, Trijicon is offering mixed colors now.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input folks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:31:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Have had so-so luck with MeproLights (3 sets, one failed after 6mo., replaced at no charge by Glock...with Trijicons), and seen nothing but grief from PT/IWI/MMC stuff (all three will fail at about a 100% rate if you try and refinish a slide with them on) Trijicon is so far ahead of the others there is no contest if you need them on a pistol for serious use.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I dunno, some people have had good experiences with them.

I had a pair on my Glock 17. They sucked. The tritium went from "not-very bright" to dead in
a monthes time. The vial in the front sight fell
out and the steel on the sights tend to be soft and if banged will deform.

I replaced those with Trijicons which I have used on other defensive handguns for years prior and have not had a problem. The Tritium should last for years glowing brightly and the quality is top notch. Trijicon All the way. I've heard the Mep's are great too.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#9]
You may pay $20-30 more for a set of Trijicons, but its worth it.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree, I 've heard poor quality control in PT.
Everybody, including Me, has good things to say about Trijicons.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had great experience with my Trijicons.  I hear good stuff about Novak's now but don't have much experience with them.  My uncle has MMC's on a SVI 2011 and they are not nearly as bright as my trijicons but they are holding up after many years of use and seem to be constructed very well.  

edited: past/present tense typo.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had PT's on my Kimber for almost a year (? 10 months or so) and they're doing fine.  The weapon gets used.  It's my carry piece, IDPA piece, 3 gun match piece, range piece.  Heck, it's the only piece (handgun) I own.  Good enough for TX DPS, good enough for me.  But, judging from all the neg press they get, I'll switch to Trij when these STB.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have had great experience with my Trijicons.  I hear good stuff about Novak's now but don't have much experience with them.

Novak installs Trijicon tritium vials in their sights.

A little more fuel for the fire:

www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=65ceff4f8db0f756690669f7f5fd37f9&threadid=20897
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top