Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2007 4:58:13 PM EDT
How many rounds have you put down range, what kind of problems have you had and what kind of shot groups have you been getting.  Pics if you got them.  Especially would like to see range reports with those who have access to 300+yd range.

Link Posted: 5/20/2007 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine is doing fine.  Weather permiting, I will probably go out to the range and play with it.

Medicguy
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#2]
just got back from the range acouple hours ago...rifle shot flawlessly I had to resight it in,(windage adjustment) as I had a Bill Springfield trigger job done and this was it's first outing with it. It was like shooting a whole different rifle. (Excellant job Bill!!!) Loads I was using were surplus cases,(RA 61) surplus bullets(147fmj) and 42 gr 4895  3" at 100yds were as good as I shot today, I'm sure the rifle is able to do better, a better grade of bullet would help, The nut behind the trigger may need some practice...lots of it... At 300yds there is a gong set up made from a 30" dia blind flange, about 2 1/2" thick, suspended from chains,  from a bench using my bag as a rest, I had no problem hitting it 20 out of 20 rounds with the irons.(rifle is not scoped) Offhand probably half that.I had no faliures to feed, fire, eject, no mag problems, I was using some steel mags I bought from interordance,(HK, early 60's) and a FMP mag, The cases were previously fired in this rifle and reloaded and no, I don't have a port buffer, so much for the "you can't reload them after being shot in that thing, theory".. The trigger job really made the day, I am impressed..I probably shot 250-300 rounds today, rifle now has well over 1000 rounds now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#3]
no problems here at all but I haven't shot it that much due to ammo cost but I did just buy a 50 pack of mags from Tapco recently
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 7:24:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Bought mine second hand and i think the rear site is a drop in. Cant adjust the bastard to shoot straight at all. With the rear sight adjusted as far as it will go it still fires left of center by about 4-5 inches at 50 yards. probably wouldnt even hit the target at 100.

Bought a tapco scope rail for it. just need to get a decent scope to put on it as im about ready to give up on this rifle for iron sight shooting.

Not just me either, everybody i know whose a shooter says the rifle shoots left and that if the rear sight could just be adjust another few cm it would be a problem but im not about to bubba this rifle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#5]
The rifle is doing great.  I love being able to buy a boat load of mags for it.  The cocking lever is starting to loosen so it is getting easier to cock.  I think it is a great rifle.  I would really like to put a scope on it to see what it can do.
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#6]
It will noit run in F/A I've had 2 smiths look at it and it wont run.

I has been perfect in S/A. and it looks great since I got a collapsing stock (concave version) and wide handguard.

It has had around 3k or so, probably wont ever get much more than that.  But in S/A it is a great gun and well woth the 600 bucks I paid for it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine is an earlier model # 7xx. It has always run great. With a scope and good ammo (portugese, Aussie) it will shoot 1.1/2" to 2"all day long. I probably have close to 1000rds. through it. Bolt gap has always been .010. It will sometimes get gummed up with certain batches of S.A. surplus. My only problem is finding cheap or any ammo for it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I actually shot mine today and the round would not enter the chamber from the magazine twice, until i opened the slide then hit it forward. In other words cocking it back and letting it go, the round did not enter, but then it fired perfectly. Checked the mag it was in right, who knows, but besides that it was good.

That thing is a cannon, especially after shooting an AR.
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had mine since nov. or dec, and I've put ~800 rounds
through it without any issues whatsover.  I have been running
n aimpoint ml3 in the interim period before I pick a scope for
the rifle, so I haven't gone for serious accuracy testing yet.
I have shot some pretty slick 50yrd groups-10 shot
groups ~1.5"  for 100's I've had some 4" groups with the aimpoint
which isn't too bad I guess...I know it can do much better
with some good glass.

I have gotten all my mags from robertrtg -
mostly like new surp mags, and some used surp
mags- like I said, no issues.

the crappy ammo I've used so far is this:

I just got 800 rounds of very nice serbian stuff from
wideners that should prob shoot pretty nicely, and I'll eventually
try some fgmm and powerpoint stuff to see what kind of
groups I can get.  heres a gratuitous ready for summer ammo pic:

Link Posted: 5/23/2007 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Oh teh toes!  

I carefully framed that picture to get those little piggies in there!
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#12]
you got sum purty toes
Link Posted: 5/24/2007 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/31/2007 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#14]
So, who has the most rounds downrange in their PTR-91??
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 4:01:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a windage problem also.  Mine is shooting to the right though.  I have the rear sight all the way left, but POI is still 2 moa right.  I'm going to try switching handguards back to the JLD, just to make sure the wide one isn't putting pressure on the barrel.  If that doesn't do it (which I don't think it will), I'm going to send it back to get fixed.
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#16]
height=8
Quoted:
The cocking lever is starting to loosen so it is getting easier to cock.  

How long does it take to get the lever loosened up? Mines a real bastard.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#17]
The first 60 nothing but jams.  Cleaned and lubed, last 80 rounds no problem.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 3:57:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I ran another 320rds through mine Sunday before last.   No failures of any kind.   i was shooting Wolf 150gr FMJ Steel cased.

I have about 1200 rds total through it.  I had early problems with the extractor being burred, but the dremel fixed that problem.   Now she ejects @ 2 O'clock everytime.

Acuracy is about what i expect.  It's minute of torso accurate with the Wolf and Pakistani ammo.  Aussi & Brit were a little better.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I have about 500 rounds of SA thru mine with no problems at all unless you're the person shooting to my right getting hit with brass. My cocking lever is still stiff though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top