Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 7:50:15 AM EDT
my best friend bought a PTR-91 last week and we took it to the local anything goes plinking range to break this bad-boy in.
Using 1050 rounds of unknown canned surplus (copper-washed steel case) we burned through 950 rounds of that without a single hiccup - not one single jam!
the only thing about that rifle i didn't like was the sharp steel piccatiny/handguard. .after a few rapid fire shots the steel would heat up so hot you had to wear gloves just to pick it up. And it was sharp as hell. And the cheap-ass plastic M4 style adjustable stock was a piece of crap. It pinched my cheek and was just plain uncomfortable to use. (look at the little hole on the top of the stock in the pic below)
As soon as i get back on my feet and get a job i plan on getting one of these!

this photo is from Buffalo Rock shooting range. we call it  "The Pit" . . lots of cool reactive targets to blast away
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#1]
The railed forend is supposed to be used with plastic/rubber panels attached to the rails or with a verticle grip.  I am not a big fan of the m4 stock on this type of rifle either.  I would just get the fixed stocked version and then hunt down a G3 collapsible if you still want it.

I have a older paratrooper model with the wide handguards and std. collapsible stock.  The stock is pretty heavy and will add another 1 lb. to the rifle over the std. fixed stock.  Cheek weld is ok if you are using the iron sights, but if you add an optic, the collapsible is not fun to shoot with since now the bottom of your jaw is against the stock, meaning there is much less meat between the stock and your bones.  The std. fixed stock is much more comfortable to shoot with, either with or without optics.  Really the only thing that the collapsible stock has going for it, is making the rifle very compact for transport and its really bad-ass looks.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 on you should be using it with some rail covers on or a vertical grip, that's what most people do. If not they wear gloves or just deal with it.
I have my PTR setup exactly like that except for the Harris style bipod.  I'm using a vertical grip mounted about three inches from the mag well which makes it a very controllable and comfortable setup for fast acquisition and followup shots, but what works for me I understand may not work for everyone. Some people say the rifle is just too heavy for that, but it's not at all for me, but I am a little bigger than most people at 6'4" and 230lbs.
The Tapco stock does what it's suppose to as all it is just a quality CAR stock designed to fit the HK rear buttstock assembly. I did smooth out the top lip of the buttstock that was rough on my cheek also, now it smooth as butter. It adjusts to my and someone elses LOP very quickly and gives me an ambi sling attachment for the rear of the rifle, something that has always kept the HK91 series from being more ambidextrous as most modern rifles today are. The railed forend lets me put a mounted rail attached sling swivel on the right side of the forend making it a very functional setup for me as a lefty with a SpecOPs MasterBlaster sling and setup quickly for a righthand user also by just switching the swivel to the other side.
Like it or not, in my point of view it makes the rifle much more useable and versatile for accessories than it was in a standard configuration and functional is more important to me than just looks. Without a setup like this the PTR91 wouldn't have been as useful to me at all and I probably would have sold it already.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:56:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Copper washed steel case sounds like Chinese ball. It's corrosive so clean accordingly!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the useful input!

when the new stocks arrive,  i'll post up some pics.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:15:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Is the Buffer tube replaceable on these things?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

What would be the buffer tube section for a normal CAR/M4 stock is not the same for the Tapco HK CAR/M4 stock as the inside of the tube isn't designed to fit a AR/M4 buffer as there's no need for it. That section of the Tapco is just one semi-solid piece molded with adapter to fit to the HK style buttstock assembly. Without it you couldn't attach it to the rifle. If your talking about the actual recoil buffer inside the buttstock assembly, yes that's replaceable, but I don't think you are.
Understandably we all love our firearms and how they look is a concern of taste to all of us,  but the Tapco stock even for it not being a new Magpul or Vltor, is a fairly quality made piece that attaches strongly with a bolt and washer to the buffer itself locking it to the buttstock assembly. If you want to put a M4/AR retracting stock on your PTR or HK91 and don't want the Tapco for personal taste, you can  buy a ACE HK Receover block and CAR15 Pignose stock block adapter which will let you put whatever retracting or not M4/AR stock on there you want.

ACE adapters

TAPCO T6 HK

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:06:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What would be the buffer tube section for a normal CAR/M4 stock is not the same for the Tapco HK CAR/M4 stock as the inside of the tube isn't designed to fit a AR/M4 buffer as there's no need for it. That section of the Tapco is just one semi-solid piece molded with adapter to fit to the HK style buttstock assembly. Without it you couldn't attach it to the rifle. If your talking about the actual recoil buffer inside the buttstock assembly, yes that's replaceable, but I don't think you are.
Understandably we all love our firearms and how they look is a concern of taste to all of us,  but the Tapco stock even for it not being a new Magpul or Vltor, is a fairly quality made piece that attaches strongly with a bolt and washer to the buffer itself locking it to the buttstock assembly. If you want to put a M4/AR retracting stock on your PTR or HK91 and don't want the Tapco for personal taste, you can  buy a ACE HK Receover block and CAR15 Pignose stock block adapter which will let you put whatever retracting or not M4/AR stock on there you want.

ACE adapters

TAPCO T6 HK

Excellent! Thanks for the links. I am thinking of picking up a PTR-91 and since I use the LMT SOPMOD stock on all of my current rifles, I would also want one on the 91. The ACE kit looks like just the ticket
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ACE adapters

TAPCO T6 HK

thanks!
that  Tapco M4 stock doesn't have that annoying hole right where your cheek sits - lol
and the price is right
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ACE adapters

TAPCO T6 HK

thanks!
that  Tapco M4 stock doesn't have that annoying hole right where your cheek sits - lol
and the price is right

That Tapco stock does have the annoying hole your talking about Rampant_Colt, it's actually the same stock you have on the PTR91 in the picture above.  I'm sorry if I confused that, I didn't mean to.
If you scope the PTR91 than you can put on a Cherokee cheek piece that would cover it up, but in the meantime if you smooth it out with some sandpaper it will feel better. Or you could go the ACE route and a new stock if you wanted like a Magpul or Vltor.

Cherokee cheek piece
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#10]
here's the Tapco pic from their website - do you own the stock Achilles?
i don't see any hole there - lol

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Its there, You just cant tell from the Tapco photo. You can see the rough spot in the highlighted area of the pic. Thats it. It is the same stock that JLD supplied with your PTR.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
img46.imageshack.us/img46/4900/m4stock0ef.jpg

NickDrak got it right, I bought mine from Tapco with a buttpad too and the hole is in that exact spot. It looks like they drill through the stock to clear out the polymer for the adjustment lever machinism. I don't know why they just don't do it neat enough from the bottom to not come out through the top, but that's another reason I'm sure it costs what it does. I've considered replacing it with the ACE adapters myself and put on a Magpul Precision stock since I've decided to turn my PTR into more of a semi precision scoped scout rifle with a Leupold mark IV 1.5-5x20 MR/T illuminated, but the Tapco does work very well and with the Cherokee cheek piece available I'm not sure if it wouldn't just be money spent that will give me the same function, that could be spent on something else. Like a nice new Beretta 8000 compact I saw today. I'll have to see how it works out once I get the scope and try the Cherokee cheek piece on it.

Mark MR/T 1.5-5x20 IL.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NickDrak got it right, I bought mine from Tapco with a buttpad too and the hole is in that exact spot. It looks like they drill through the stock to clear out the polymer for the adjustment lever machinism. I don't know why they just don't do it neat enough from the bottom to not come out through the top, but that's another reason I'm sure it costs what it does. I've considered replacing it with the ACE adapters myself and put on a Magpul Precision stock since I've decided to turn my PTR into more of a semi precision scoped scout rifle with a Leupold mark IV 1.5-5x20 MR/T illuminated, but the Tapco does work very well and with the Cherokee cheek piece available I'm not sure if it wouldn't just be money spent that will give me the same function, that could be spent on something else. Like a nice new Beretta 8000 compact I saw today. I'll have to see how it works out once I get the scope and try the Cherokee cheek piece on it.

Mark MR/T 1.5-5x20 IL.

that is one SWEET scope! but the price . . . umm i dunno - lol

i'll have to look into that Cherokee cheek-rest. . i think surplus G3 stocks are going onto it. That forward piccatiny just gets too damn hot

and i kinda like the 'french' style peepsight
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark MR/T 1.5-5x20 IL.

that is one SWEET scope! but the price . . . umm i dunno - lol

i'll have to look into that Cherokee cheek-rest. . i think surplus G3 stocks are going onto it. That forward piccatiny just gets too damn hot

and i kinda like the 'french' style peepsight

I completely concur, a sweet scope it is, but the price ain't so tasty. I see it as a lifetime investment buy though, as it will last a lifetime and I can use it on any other rifle in the future too if I want to do something else with the PTR.
G3 stocks are pretty comfortable and do the job well, but in my case they don't work as well for an ambi setup. I know you'll find the setup that works best for you and hope you don't have too hard a time finding what you want. You might try a vertical grip on the picattiny rail before you get rid of it though. It really makes the rifle much more controllable and heat won't be a concern. You can get a nice one for cheap too, so what you put into it isn't as much of an expense if you don't like it.

basic vertical grip from CTD

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top