Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 5:04:13 PM EDT
Here goes.  I was able to make it to the range today and ran 125 rounds thru my KP.  I was pretty impressed.  I fired 85 rounds of Port. and 40 rounds of Spanish Surplus at 50 yards.  I started off by adjusting the rear sight to raise the point of aim.  I tried using an HK sight tool which I found to be worthless.  Luckily, I had a small hemostat (I think thats how you spell it) with me a used it instead.  It worked like a charm and held the spring loaded pins in while I turned the sight drum.

I started by firing 60 rounds of Port from the bench with out any problems.  All the brass was forcefully ejected down range at about 1 o'clock.  I then fired 20 rounds of Spanish ammo and found that it actually grouped a little better than the Port.  It was a little more controllable because it was not as hot as the Port.  I then fired another 20 rounds of Port with still no malfunctions.  

I was now at a 100 rounds and the gun was getting really hot just like the weather (about 90 degrees).  I started shooting another 20 round mag of Spanish ammo and the first round fired and ejected fine.  The next 3 rounds were FTE malfunctions.  The first one got hung up on the ejection port and the next 2 took the bolt out of battery, but did not leave the chamber.

I did not fret.  I suspected that the chamber flutes were dirty and clogged and that the Spanish ammo did not have the force to blow them clean and cycle the action.  So I loaded an extra mag with 5 rounds of the hotter Port. ammo and fired them without a single problem.  I believe that the hotter Port ammo blew out any gunk that may have been clogging up the flutes.  I then reinserted the mag with the remaining 16 rounds of Spanish ammo and fired it without any additional problems.  I had experienced the same situation before with a SS Century G3 and South African surplus ammo.  After about 100 rounds, it started to FTE all over the place.  I fed it a steady diet of Port and it never clogged again.

Here are 3 of my best targets.  The first is a 5 round group of Port. that I fired after getting it sighted in.

This one is about 30 or so rounds with 20 of them (the tighter group)  being Spanish.

This is 20 rounds of all Spanish surplus.

Over all I was really very impressed.  The stock was rock solid and was not uncomfortable on my cheek.  The rubber butt pad securely held the stock on my shoulder and did not move at all.  Recoil was straight back, but not punishing.  It was also no where near as load as I was afraid it would be with the 16" barrel.  Also, the area right behind the ejection port did not get scuffed at all by ejecting brass.  I have seen this happed to other HK91 clones and my own Century G3.  Finally, I am very happy with this purchase.  If any one else is considering getting one of these, do not hesitate.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you have a keeper.

The bolt gap may be too high.  Be sure to check it with feeler guage.

Too high is not a bad thing with a new gun, since it will shrink somewhat as it breaks in.

See my recent post re: Bolt Gap  CLICK HERE
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I havent had a change to pick up a feeler gauge yet, but you are probably right.  Like you said, it will eventually adjust itself with use over time.  And I plan on giving it plenty of use.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Man, I can't get one of these fast enough. Ya'll stop talking about them til I can play too.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey!  Include a couple of pics of the rifle will ya!?!  I'm still up in the air as to the PTR 91K and the V51.  TIA
Never mind I see you've already posted one down the board a little ways.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been shooting hk G3's for 20 some years, and your problem with Spanish surplus "7.62" ammo is not unfamiliar. With rare eceptions, that ammo is allways underloaded, as the original Spanish CETME rifle  used a detuned 308 cartridge. With a near-HK spec gun such as yours, the FTE's are a sure thing.
If you can find either Lake City or Norma surplus you won't have a problem.
Good luck,

Jorge
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Jorge.  You just confirmed what I was suspecting about the Spanish surplus ammo.  
And I hope the rest of you guys get one of these too.  Not only do they work well, they are also very high on the cool scale.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Santino, I have been considering one of these, how much did it cost?
-JD
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#8]
damn I want one of these....

Think I'd rather have the 18" than 16" barrel though
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#9]
HotLead, it was $1150 with the AR15.com discount.  BTW, does anyone know the history behind the KP model?  Did HK actually make one like this and just never imported it into the U.S. or is the KP a JLD creation?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top