Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/7/2010 3:54:12 AM EDT
It was an enjoyable day at the range on Sunday; I went through several mags of shiny new Ranger hollow points in my 1911 as a function and reliability test, and then I traversed to my AR with a few mags of .223 to clean out the cob-webs; I ended up having a few minor issues that were easily resolved (ACS stock came loose, luckily I keep my stock wrench in my range bag just in case, so I adjusted it and tweaked it nice and tight so it'd be GTG) and then I decided to give the CMMG .22lr kit a go... I lubed it up and tossed it in, but it would NOT go into battery... at all. There was about a 1/2" gap between the bolt and chamber. I messed with it for a bit, and even tried my buddy's kit in my rifle (same kit, same problem)... at first glance, both rifles looked the same internally, and I figured that's what it had to be...

It turns out that my Magpul B.A.D. was just enough weight to provide sufficient resistance against the .22 bolt to keep it from going into battery. I didn't have the star-head tool to remove my B.A.D., so I looked for a solution, and found that if I wedged a .223 dummy round between the B.A.D. and the rifle (left side) it resolved the issue. Today at work I'm going to find a scrap piece of rubber to cut down that should also do the trick, but I just wanted to let you all know that this may prove to be an issue for you, as well.

By the way... the $2 I saved when buying Remington .22lr ammo was not worth it. I had so many dud rounds and extraction issues that I might as well have had a (very shitty) bolt gun. I ran a few mags of Federal .22 through it and it functioned absolutely flawlessly... my buddy tried my ammo through his kit, same kit, same issues. I'll be sending Remington a letter today... if nothing else, it'll let 'em know I am not a happy camper shooter.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:35:34 AM EDT
I'm running an older Ceiner Kit and I have a BAD lever and I have no problem with it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:52:45 AM EDT
Get a new spring for your bolt hold open.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:22:27 AM EDT
And stake your fucking castle nut for Chrissake, that's why it's supposed to be staked.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:45:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Get a new spring for your bolt hold open.

I considered this, but I've only had a few hundred rounds (of anything, period, ever...) through the rifle as it is, so I don't know that it's an issue of the spring tension having been broken down... I also considered installing a stiffer spring, but I don't want issues with it NOT catching when it should. I could always give it a shot, though... I'll order a new spring today.
Top Top