Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2002 10:01:47 AM EDT
My Remington 700 PSS in .308 ---

I was originally going to get the Hogue stock with the bedding block for this rifle and decided to wait, paritally for the cost savings and because it looked so good next to the XP-100R in .223 - see photo.

After shooting it for a while, I now think my original plan was sound, as the palmswell is pretty big for my hand, and the Hogue would slim that down, plus give me a better handle with the rubber overmoulding.
As I haven't ordered one yet, I'd like to get your opinions on whether I should get the pillar bedding or bedding block version.
I've heard good things about both.
I've heard bedding blocks 'transmit vibration' to the bbl.
I've heard pillar bedding is sufficient and can be more accurate.

What have YOU heard and what can you tell me about the pros and cons of each?

Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#1]
The HS Precision stocks are good, BUT, the bedding 'V' block only works in theory, not in practice. This is because the 'V' block bedding will only work and distribute recoil and firing stresses evenly, IF, the reciever that is bedded in the 'V' block is perfectly round, has no taper and is the same diameter from one end to the other. Unfortunately, as good as Remingtons' are, the recievers are generally more elliptical than round and they have both taper and varying diameters. If you use a HSP stock you really have to bed the action as you would on any other high quality stock such as a McMillan. I do not like HSP stocks because of the palm swell feature but they can be made to shoot very well. I just finished bedding a Rem M700 in a HSP stock client and shot 1/2 MOA groups with it. Bedding pillars are very good and I use them when I bedd M700's in McMillan stocks. E-mail if any questions. JarheadGunner.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 3:39:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Use SteelBed to bed your action to the bedding block.  Best of all worlds!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top