Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2016 12:06:27 AM EDT
Anyone tried both of these methods? I'd like to know the pros/cons. I'm mostly shooting for rifle, seems all the loads in the Lyman cast book are over 1900FPS. I want to avoid leading and still get accuracy like my jacketed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what accuracy you're getting with jacketed, but in my experience you won't get there with cast. I use PC because it is easy. I still use gas checks for serious rifle loads. Hi-tek is a multiple coat wet tumble with a bake in between and after coats. PC is done in a single coat if done right. Best PC loads I've gotten are with 30-30 right around 1moa and 1900fps. Also, this velocity seems to be a constant for most of my cast bottleneck rifle loads, regardless of caliber, 1750-1900fps is where most things settle in. If you want lower velocities and accuracy that is doable, powder selection, weight sorting , bullet sizing and a multitude of other things can come into play and make substantial difference on target. The one tool that has made a big difference is a gas check seating tool that seats checks square.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I like Hi-tek  simply because I can do large batches of pistol 5k bullets. Thats why most commercial casting use HT vs PC. I tried to PC once with HF powdercoat and it was time consuming having to pick up each bullet with forceps to place on a cookie sheet. I PC about a hundred and never tried it again. But for small volume it seems like most people go with PC. It just doesn't fit my needs with the large volume of bullets I need to coat.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I do both. Hitek is better for very large volumes (several thousands at a time). For smaller batches effort is a wash, pc might win out. Hitek is not as messy as PC.

If you are using a spray gun hitek is far quicker period, if tumbling PC has a lot of utility. Both work fine. Cost per unit is lower with PC but both are so inexpensive as to be inconsequential, and if you are doing it in such large volumes that that matters, the time savings of hitek will win out.

Hitek will not give you the occasional "flashing" that PC will which can make feeding through bullet feeders lesspr of a hassle.

Both are good tools, both are inexpensive to try.

Getting jacketed accuracy at extended distance is a tall order that will rely on a lot of factors beyond coating vs luring. Not saying you can't but it is unrealistic to expect out the gate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top