Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/14/2002 6:50:21 AM EDT
I read NY times this morning. What a stupid thought! it is totally wasting time and money because we can easily swap the barrel/upper for AR-15 shooters.

I bet they have no ideas about firearms. Therefore, they don't know what they are talking about!!

here is the article
-----------------------
BALLISTICS forensics ?the comparison of microscopic markings on bullets or bullet fragments has long been a cornerstone of police work. It has helped establish, for example, links among the recent sniper murders in the Washington suburbs.

But such identification can be painstaking work that can take hours, or even days, and requires the skilled eye of an experienced examiner.

Last week Ivan Grow, an inventor from Kansas City, Kan., patented something that he says will revolutionize firearms forensics: a gun that imprints an individual bar code on each bullet it shoots.

Patrick Lawson, Mr. Grow's business partner, said, "If I shot you with a bar-code bullet, the police could take the bullet and identify the gun it came from."

The inside of the barrel of Mr. Grow's gun contains the raised engraving stamp of a bar code. As the bullet of a handgun or rifle is propelled through the barrel, the bullet is engraved with the bar code.

"To the naked eye," Mr. Lawson said, the bar code "will look like very tiny grooves." Each groove will be about 50 microns wide, about the width of a human hair.

Mr. Lawson and Mr. Grow, both 31, have started a company, Bar Code Bullet Industries, to develop the invention. Though they have not yet given up their day jobs as carpenters, they said they expected to receive money soon from the Kansas Technology Enterprise Corporation, which is affiliated with the state government and finances start-ups.

How will police match up a bar code to a gun's serial number? The bar codes would piggyback onto an existing database of the gun registry run by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, Mr. Lawson said.

Mr. Lawson said the bar code would be imprinted into the barrel of gun after it has been manufactured, during a process known as "rifling."

Because a bullet coming out of a smooth barrel tends to yaw or swerve, the barrels of guns are rifled ?inscribed with what are known as "lands and grooves" that help stabilize the bullet on its corkscrew-like trajectory out of the barrel.

As a bullet squeezes through the gun barrel, the lands and grooves leave telltale marks on the bullet that are as individual to each weapon as fingerprints are to a person. The bar code engraving would create a more readily readable identification than the more random lands and grooves do, Mr. Lawson said.

Typically, a gun is rifled mechanically, with special machinery. Mr. Grow, however, proposes an entirely new way of rifling: inserting a laser into the barrel of the gun and inscribing it optically. "Mechanically, you can't find a burr that can etch as finely as a laser," Mr. Lawson said.

Except for its beveled tip, the entire girth and length of a bullet fired through a bar-code barrel would be inscribed with several copies of the code. According to Mr. Lawson, this will make it easier to identify bullets even if they fragment into many pieces, as they often do if fired from high-velocity rifles, like the one used by the sniper around Washington.

Mr. Lawson acknowledged that intelligent crooks could probably figure out how to file down the inside of the barrel or would merely steal a gun.

"I don't see it stopping every gun crime in America," he said. "But I sure see it helping."

Mr. Grow received U.S. patent 6,462,302.

Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:17:17 AM EDT
It's a good thing they haven't given up their day jobs.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:34:54 AM EDT
Ehh... I'm not afraid... se habla fire-lapping? Just like other 'ballistic fingerprinting' schemes, a 2000 round 'break-in' period will render that useless.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:40:14 AM EDT
Daumbasses they are...

Guns will be illegal by the time they perfect it. =(
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:46:25 AM EDT
Thanks,
I needed a good laugh.

I'm going to go cry now....
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:47:46 AM EDT
I have heard they are now working on a bar code that imprints bullets on its inventors.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:49:13 AM EDT
Someone already beat me to it, but as I read this, I was thinking, "fire-lapping."

More "feel good" junk science that passes itself off as the cure, yet would never amount to even a band-aid.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 10:31:37 AM EDT
Us carpenters arent the smartest, thats why we have the job we have.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:29:21 AM EDT
if I wanted to pop someone like the sniper in maryland I wouldn't use an ar to do it, I would use a accurized,scoped silenced, rem 700 chambered in a larger round with super sonic black hills ammo.

and I wouldn't use there nice pretty little bar coded barrels, I would make my own and destroy it afterward and then rebarrel it with a bar coded barrel.

"but officer it couldn't have been me who fired the shot check my rifle and the bar code won't match".
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 9:35:32 AM EDT
If idiots like this can get funding for such stupid ideas, imagine the lucrative ideas that could be dreamed up by people who understand guns! This could be the ground floor of a whole new enterprise.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 1:14:05 PM EDT
Plese note that the article admits that the ATF is in fact maintaining a quite illegal gun registration program for all types of guns not just NFA.

tsh77769
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 1:29:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TSH77769:
Plese note that the article admits that the ATF is in fact maintaining a quite illegal gun registration program for all types of guns not just NFA.

tsh77769

Already been noted...
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 3:03:38 PM EDT
If I had a gun like that, I'd modify it so instead of a bar code it imprinted a micro picture of Bill Clinton banging Janet Reno!!!

Link Posted: 10/15/2002 5:50:49 PM EDT
that would be expensive shootin too, glad my "line in hte sand" will be drawn long before that point.
Top Top