BCM
User Panel

Page / 19
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@SIASL
I don't have a COTI so I'm not 100% but I don't think this is correct. The COTI has a different power receptacle as you can see in the pic from HK94dude
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Comes with a LEMO cable for attaching to one device, the COTI has a LEMO receptacle.

@SIASL
I don't have a COTI so I'm not 100% but I don't think this is correct. The COTI has a different power receptacle as you can see in the pic from HK94dude
correct, it does not have a LEMO port. That battery pack posted earlier won't power your -14 and coti
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

@SIASL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Comes with a LEMO cable for attaching to one device, the COTI has a LEMO receptacle.

@SIASL

Uh oh, can another party chime in? May need to cancel my order.

ETA: Just seen the other post. Canceling.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Too late for me to cancel.

I guess I got bad info. Sorry bud.
View Quote

It’s all good. If I can’t cancel I’ll try and trade it for a COTI pack.

ETA: That or hope someone comes up with a PVS-14 specific socket adapter for a split cable
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Own The Night has PVS-31 batteries. They are a little pricey. But it will work with the COTI split cable.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Own The Night has PVS-31 batteries. They are a little pricey. But it will work with the COTI split cable.
View Quote

You’re the second person to suggest the setup. I think I’ll just go ahead and do that. Just wrap up/tie off the unused lead.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You’re the second person to suggest the setup. I think I’ll just go ahead and do that. Just wrap up/tie off the unused lead.
View Quote

I'd just buy $1000 in batteries lol. It's still gonna burn through them you just won't need to change them as often.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 4:27:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'd just buy $1000 in batteries lol. It's still gonna burn through them you just won't need to change them as often.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear you but my OCD won’t let me do it. Any case, I can at least use rechargeable AA batts (or, I hope to).
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, they won’t have any till Dec.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Any machinist's out there that can measure the thread pitch of the COTI cap?  Wondering why an extender couldn't be fabricated to utilize 16650, like the Flir Breach extenders from Mod Armory?

Any Mod Armory folks out there following forum?  Great opportunity to launch an AR15.com group buy to cover demand for alternative solution to expensive battery packs and COTI cables.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any machinist's out there that can measure the thread pitch of the COTI cap?  Wondering why an extender couldn't be fabricated to utilize 16650, like the Flir Breach extenders from Mod Armory?

Any Mod Armory folks out there following forum?  Great opportunity to launch an AR15.com group buy to cover demand for alternative solution to expensive battery packs and COTI cables.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/94351/COTI_EXT_jpg-1648122.JPG
View Quote

That’s a great idea. I’d be interested

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Or even a cheaper option for a cable tied into a battery pack

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Uh oh...

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Took mine out again the other night to play around. Didn't see a damn thing, was a bit disappointed in it.

Got home and realized that I left the damn cover on the lens.

i made this mistake too. dont sweat it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Certainly can be

I never realized how many animals watch on from tree branches while you walk past in the dark

I find the woods kinda spooky honestly. The coti makes it a bit more reassuring when you're wondering if that distant object in the shade is a living thing or not
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds spooky

Certainly can be

I never realized how many animals watch on from tree branches while you walk past in the dark

I find the woods kinda spooky honestly. The coti makes it a bit more reassuring when you're wondering if that distant object in the shade is a living thing or not
this too
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Holy shit, this thing is fucking amazing. Eats batteries like a mofo. But, amazing. Playing with the settings and trying out the pulse feature. Seems to work if what you’re looking at is really still but otherwise not so much.

ETA: Snuck up on and chased a stray cat I came across in the side yard.

ETA: It’s like that Halo game with the Drop Troopers. Next level stuff.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’d be cautious proceeding without a full understanding of the COTI power supply limitations. My Keeppower for other devices come off the charger at 4.2 volts, a full volt more than a primary CR123A. If the circuit isn’t well protected you could potentially damage your device.

If it is designed to handle it yours is a great idea!
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#19]
iPotato and it’s turned sideways. This is aimed upwards towards the tops of the trees. The heat of the trees contrasting very well against the coolness of the evening’s sky.

I’ll need to start learning about the Gain controls.

ETA: The wife tried it out and the first thing out of her mouth was also “Holy shit!”. Then I let the the second oldest look and he said it was straight out of CoD.

ETAx2: It’s scary to think this is just the civi stuff. What about the .gov only stuff? Wow.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
iPotato and it’s turned sideways. This is aimed upwards towards the tops of the trees. The heat of the trees contrasting very well against the coolness of the evening’s sky.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384478/A606DE3A-B4A1-4EED-8454-CF3D8FE252D5-1648990.jpg

ETA: The wife tried it out and the first thing out of her mouth was also “Holy shit!”. Then I let the the second oldest look and he said it was straight out of CoD.

ETAx2: It’s scary to think this is just the civi stuff. What about the .gov only stuff? Wow.
View Quote

The ENVG-B would be pretty f’n badass. I’m sure Horta has one already lol

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I’d be cautious proceeding without a full understanding of the COTI power supply limitations. My Keeppower for other devices come off the charger at 4.2 volts, a full volt more than a primary CR123A. If the circuit isn’t well protected you could potentially damage your device.

If it is designed to handle it yours is a great idea!
View Quote

COTI manual provides some guidance voltage.  Will look for some 16650s that are closer to 3.7V specs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Bought one of these and I'm pretty happy with it.  Definitely a game changer for me.  Very low ambient light the past few nights but the dog lit up like a Christmas tree on the COTI, even though she was very hard to pick out on IR. Same for animals in the woods.  I could then light them up with an IR illuminator to get more detail and positive ID.

I like that it is easy to switch modes and adjust the intensity on the device.  I need to dive into the gain and other menu settings some more, but even on default settings it was very easy to use.  

I also like that it leaves me one eye in the dark for judging ambient light and also for engaging with white light if needed.  Overall I think it suits my needs better than a second monocular would as it highlights the thermal without getting in the way.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Been watching the battery discussion - I wonder if you could use something like this to pull it off:
 https://batteryeliminatorstore.com/products/cr123a-wired-active-cell

I was thinking put this into the battery compartment, drill a small hole to get the wire out and then run it to the back of my helmet where I have some CR123's running in parallel or perhaps another rechargeable pack with a voltage regulator on it?
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Been watching the battery discussion - I wonder if you could use something like this to pull it off:

I was thinking put this into the battery compartment, drill a small hole to get the wire out and then run it to the back of my helmet where I have some CR123's running in parallel or perhaps another rechargeable pack with a voltage regulator on it?
View Quote

Thats an idea but I'm only drilling a hole in my $3k device if I have a replacement cap lol
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

In theory it shouldn’t be hard to print a DICC type cap for this. Mine comes Monday maybe I’ll start
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

In theory it shouldn’t be hard to print a DICC type cap for this. Mine comes Monday maybe I’ll start
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have enough DICC for all of us?

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The ENVG-B would be pretty f’n badass. I’m sure Horta has one already lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iDkVasHZog
View Quote

If he's not in prison....
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great idea too bad nobody can source or make the connector for the external battery packs that’s the easier/ better way to get this done. Then you could make a wire that plugs into cheap and plentiful anvis battery packs or a anker battery pack ect.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Great idea too bad nobody can source or make the connector for the external battery packs that’s the easier/ better way to get this done. Then you could make a wire that plugs into cheap and plentiful anvis battery packs or a jet battery pack ect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great idea too bad nobody can source or make the connector for the external battery packs that’s the easier/ better way to get this done. Then you could make a wire that plugs into cheap and plentiful anvis battery packs or a jet battery pack ect.
”Had” to order a PVS-31 pack the other day and would have much rather spent less moolah on a cheaper battle pack but as far as I understand there are no cables available.

I’m hoping someone will develop a PVS-14 socket adapter for the dash 31 split cable in the near future. I’m guessing pairing COTI’s up with the dash 14 is becoming more normal now?
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a weird ass two start acme. I'll get it for you. Pm me if you want it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384478/A606DE3A-B4A1-4EED-8454-CF3D8FE252D5-1648990.jpg

View Quote

Sadly the .gov only stuff isn't a huge leap over what you are seeing.  It only starts to get better because it can display more information as a HUD.   the core image intensifying ability isn't a whole lot better with the most advanced stuff in the world.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought one today.  I called in my order and they said they have several left.  and i saved 5% because i'm a forum member over at Sniper's Hide.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#36]
does anyone know what the power connector interface on the COTI is called?  is that connector available anywhere?
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I bought one today.  I called in my order and they said they have several left.  and i saved 5% because i'm a forum member over at Sniper's Hide.
View Quote

Was that direct from EO?
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Was that direct from EO?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was that direct from EO?

yes, i emailed them asking about a SH discount, they replied "yes, but only 5%", i called in my order, paid with my CC card, boom, done.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
does anyone know what the power connector interface on the COTI is called?  is that connector available anywhere?
View Quote

Dunno but its a crazy lookin guy

Link Posted: 11/5/2020 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/cpNCg9Fh.jpg
View Quote

How much time does that AA battery pack give you?
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

How much time does that AA battery pack give you?
View Quote

Quite a bit

I dont recall how many hours exactly but it lists it in the COTI manual.

Ive been on several outings on the same batteries in the pack. Generally run the COTI the entire time.

Bonus points it acts as a lanyard for the COTI. It mounts very solidly and securely.

Im glad I have it but Im not sure I would call it 100% necessary.

I just wanted to be able to use both my NODs and the COTI for an entire night without changing batteries. The pack allows me to do that if I ever had to.

Heres some info on battery life from Nightvision devices

One Battery>3.0 Hrs @ 23°C
Auxiliary Battery Pack>8.0 Hrs @ 23°C
Combined>11.0 Hrs @ 23°C
(w/o change of batteries)
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#42]
What voltage is coming off those power leads?
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 1:03:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came back from a camping trip and found my split cable plus the PVS-31 battery cable delivered. The COTI connector side of the split cable isn’t the most secure thing. It’ll pop off without any real force and did so many times. Just an accidental bump or slight tweak of the lead (wire) will lift it right off. I ended up using two smaller zip-ties on the lead side to secure it to the COTI. For the money the split cables command you would think the connector wouldn’t be such a weak point. Kind of pissed about it to be honest because that much cash for a cable and need to zip-tie the connector(?).
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 1:20:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Came back from a camping trip and found my split cable plus the PVS-31 battery cable delivered. The COTI connector side of the split cable isn’t the most secure thing. It’ll pop off without any real force and did so many times. Just an accidental bump or slight tweak of the lead (wire) will lift it right off. I ended up using two smaller zip-ties on the lead side to secure it to the COTI. For the money the split cables command you would think the connector wouldn’t be such a weak point. Kind of pissed about it to be honest because that much cash for a cable and need to zip-tie the connector(?).
View Quote

Was it a used cable? I bet the previous owner bent it a bit and made it too lose.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 1:31:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Was it a used cable? I bet the previous owner bent it a bit and made it too lose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct, it’s used.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What voltage is coming off those power leads?
View Quote

5v
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can bend the tab back in a little bit and it should snap on tighter. My cable when I got it was really tough so I bent the tab out ro make it easier.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You can bend the tab back in a little bit and it should snap on tighter. My cable when I got it was really tough so I bent the tab out ro make it easier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you mind pinpointing the tab you’re speaking of with a pic?
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#49]
After reading about people pulling the cables to get them to come off I just want to point out that the connector has a little slider that you depress to seat it and remove it.  There should be no force required to install and uninstall the cable.

Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
After reading about people pulling the cables to get them to come off I just want to point out that the connector has a little slider that you depress to seat it and remove it.  There should be no force required to install and uninstall the cable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr-SPJkOneA
View Quote

Thanks. Will check it out next chance.
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top