BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anyone know why the PAS29 has no competition?
View Quote

I imagine there is some sort of patent or some other agreement in the way? This is total conjecture but I remember the ClipIR from Europe always had disclaimers that they were not for sale or importation into the United States, which is kind of weird.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That'd be awesome.

Anyone know why the PAS29 has no competition?
View Quote

There's others out there. But this one, other than the ecoti, is probably the best built
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I suppose the commercial market for them is quite small as well.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Question - Is there a splitter cable for a PVS-14/COTI?
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 11:17:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I gotta say after having the COTI for 4 nights it really sucks for the most part. It has a very niche roll that it does well and nothing else.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 11:34:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I gotta say after having the COTI for 4 nights it really sucks for the most part. It has a very niche roll that it does well and nothing else.
View Quote

So.... You gonna sell it or keep it?
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not my experience at all. Nothing like it (fusion) that can detect heat a few hundred meters away.

I was pretty surprised with how well it performed, and I use a 640 scanner as well.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:06:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can’t imagine not having it.

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:10:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So.... You gonna sell it or keep it?
View Quote

Not sure yet. I don't want to dump it quick and be looking for one again in a few months.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not my experience at all. Nothing like it (fusion) that can detect heat a few hundred meters away.

I was pretty surprised with how well it performed, and I use a 640 scanner as well.
View Quote

Do you have much foliage where you are? The deer and rabbits I've seen the past few nights where seen with i2 first. Most of them on an atv moving relatively slow.

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:22:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

There’s a splitter cable that runs the coti off a pvs31 battery pack and whatever binos you can get to run off a pvs31 pack
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 3:21:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do you have much foliage where you are? The deer and rabbits I've seen the past few nights where seen with i2 first. Most of them on an atv moving relatively slow.

View Quote

Thick texas brush and then larger open pasture. I am able to detect cows at 400 yards+, easily. This is with high humidity as well. I see wayyyy more life around me with a COTI than just a PVS14 and a handheld thermal.

That said....the COTI will show me something is 200 yards away but I have to go to a higher res scanner to tell if its a pig, deer, calf, etc.

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Your deer and rabbits ride ATVs?

Where are you?
View Quote

Ha ha. I thought about editing to clarify that but didn't care enough last night lol

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thick texas brush and then larger open pasture. I am able to detect cows at 400 yards+, easily. This is with high humidity as well. I see wayyyy more life around me with a COTI than just a PVS14 and a handheld thermal.

That said....the COTI will show me something is 200 yards away but I have to go to a higher res scanner to tell if its a pig, deer, calf, etc.

View Quote

Yep it's a pain scanning non stop with a handheld. Maybe I just need more time behind it. I can spot the larger animals at those distances to, haven't seen too many smaller critters yet. It's easy to miss them as well. I have to walk and scan pretty slow to catch things. Riding the sxs it's easier to miss things. With a dedicated thermal I can swing it across a field quickly and the heat signature pops out.

Are you turning off your autogain and just setting the gain yourself?
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
ditto, I sold mine
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#18]

I may be way off but seems like it allows you to remain passive. For example if there’s someone in the shadow of a building or wall, you’d need ir light to see them clearly. With the COTI you will see them scanning and not need to turn on supplemental Ir light

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I may be way off but seems like it allows you to remain passive. For example if there’s someone in the shadow of a building or wall, you’d need ir light to see them clearly. With the COTI you will see them scanning and not need to turn on supplemental Ir light

View Quote

Yep. If you're in a situation where that might be a threat you'll have to light em up with IR to PID. Which would be the case with any thermal I suppose.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep. If you're in a situation where that might be a threat you'll have to light em up with IR to PID. Which would be the case with any thermal I suppose.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I’m saying is with the COTI you would see them immediately and not have to turn on ir light

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep it's a pain scanning non stop with a handheld. Maybe I just need more time behind it. I can spot the larger animals at those distances to, haven't seen too many smaller critters yet. It's easy to miss them as well. I have to walk and scan pretty slow to catch things. Riding the sxs it's easier to miss things. With a dedicated thermal I can swing it across a field quickly and the heat signature pops out.

Are you turning off your autogain and just setting the gain yourself?
View Quote

I leave it on auto. Hot and humid I will get a lot of "clutter" but on decent nights the COTI on auto works really well to only alert on living things. When I say clutter I mean road edges and warm trees will stand out. As soon as it detects a warmer object the clutter disappears
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1 and followed by white light plus verbal commands if it's someone who ain't supposed to be there.

You have to run through different scenarios. You found somebody using all of your cool gear but now what? LOL
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I leave it on auto. Hot and humid I will get a lot of "clutter" but on decent nights the COTI on auto works really well to only alert on living things. When I say clutter I mean road edges and warm trees will stand out. As soon as it detects a warmer object the clutter disappears
View Quote

I left it on autogain, ABC on medium auto last night, and power knob half way on. With my buddy hiding in various dark spots he was very hard to spot unless I turned the power knob up more. In that case it washed out a lot of that tube and I'd get false positives half the time.

In my garage, barn, or man made structures he stood out. Not the case in the woods/thicket.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

+1 and followed by white light plus verbal commands if it's someone who ain't supposed to be there.

You have to run through different scenarios. You found somebody using all of your cool gear but now what? LOL
View Quote

The 4 legged intruders get no such warnings!! Raccoons, Opossums, and skunks! I think the latter have a den on my property.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Alright going through the first menu I figured it out. Set the gain to manual select it and then manually adjust the gain. A setting of 34 showed body heat well around man made structures and a setting of 16 in the thicket. It is adjustable from 0-63.

After I found the 34 sweet spot we moved into the underbrush and I couldn't see my wife at all. Went to the gain setting and found her most visible at 16.

So the autogain IME is terrible. The autobrightness is great.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No issues so far
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone have any issues with theirs yet?

Ive had a error 3 code display up top a few times. The times it displayed the error it was almost hard to start. Happened twice so far.

Changed batteries. Notta. Tried the turning it on and off a few times. Notta.

Installed it back on the mount and took it off and it finally turned on and displayed the code. No issues afterwards.

Its almost like the auto off magnet is getting stuck in the off position if that makes sense. I feel its about the only thing that makes sense as installing it and taking it off the mount generally seems to get it going again

No issues so far
same. i think i need to factory reset mine though..picks up way too much environment heat (trees, clay ground outlines,) no matter how low i have it turned up.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
u just have to learn to adjust it semi on the fly to get the thermal feedback to override the ir light level to get feedback.

the battery life tho i have learned is short. 60 degrees out and i burn a cr123 abt one per hour.  abt 25% brightness.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

COTI is super duper boring if you dont encounter wild life

The first time I had it out I was like wtf is this thing broken???

Then boom I saw my first creatures of the night with it.

Its certainly not a miracle worker. But if they arent covered in thick foliage they will pop out

I think I posted this earlier but worth posting again.

I can see it not being for everyone though certainly.

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Took mine out again the other night to play around. Didn't see a damn thing, was a bit disappointed in it.

Got home and realized that I left the damn cover on the lens.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Before I hit the submit...

Vectronix = Safran, correct? Also, $2900 is a fairly decent price, correct?
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. EuroOptic is $3k plus tax

New?
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

New?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New?

That’s correct
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

New?
View Quote

Did not charge me tax, matched and beat other vendors pricing including discount on the one I had.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Did not charge me tax, matched and beat other vendors pricing including discount on the one I had.
View Quote

You call to order? Recently?
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Its really an amazing device

I love mine. I see so many creatures in the woods that I would have totally missed.

Super big fan and I hope more clip on thermals like this come to market
View Quote

Sounds spooky
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You call to order? Recently?
View Quote

Been a little over a month, web chatted and asked to price match/beat price.  I sold the coti about a month ago shortly after getting, wasn't my thing.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Been a little over a month, web chatted and asked to price match/beat price.  I sold the coti about a month ago shortly after getting, wasn't my thing.
View Quote

Gotcha, wonder why they charged me tax. State by state thing maybe, how did you pay?
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Gotcha, wonder why they charged me tax. State by state thing maybe, how did you pay?
View Quote

I would assume state by state thing likely.

CC
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

There’s a splitter cable that runs the coti off a pvs31 battery pack and whatever binos you can get to run off a pvs31 pack
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m guessing the PVS-14 battery compartment isn’t compatible with the PVS-31 adapter?
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Sounds spooky
View Quote

Certainly can be

I never realized how many animals watch on from tree branches while you walk past in the dark

I find the woods kinda spooky honestly. The coti makes it a bit more reassuring when you're wondering if that distant object in the shade is a living thing or not
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me either, I'm hooked on COTI.  I just came back from 4 nights hunting in thick south Alabama woods.  First two nights were clear and cool, second two hot and humid.  All had less than 1/4 moon illumination, and much of the hunt was in tree covered bottoms. I was using a thin filmed GP BNVD with an average 27 SNR and decent specs, and while they were fine for navigation they struggled mightily without supplemental IR.  With the COTI I got very early warning of pigs that the BNVD didn't have a prayer of seeing.  I was using factory settings with Outline mode.  Together, they made a heck of a hunting tool.  I spent much less time on the hand scanner (verifying COTI positives/false positives) and was able to move much farther and much faster hunting.  Driving the SXS with the BNVD/COTI combination showed me a whole bunch of stuff I'd been missing using NV only.

I agree that it's a niche roll, but I'm really happy I have one.  If you're static hunting, are in wide open spaces or always have good NV conditions you don't need it and won't miss it.  It is not a replacement for a scanner.  I don't like the extra weight, and the battery life was only about 3 hours.  I've got mine over my left pod and it diminishes the clarity of that tube slightly.  But wow.  I've read it called predator vision.  I agree.  A bunch of dead hogs and a lot of smiles this weekend.

Link Posted: 10/21/2020 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#43]
How hard to find are the remote battery packs for COTI?
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#45]

Well then, thanks. If you don’t mind, is it plug and play? Come with the cable to connect to a COTI?

ETA: I ask because I do not have the COTI in hand yet.

ETAx2: What cable is needed to use with a COTI? I’ll be using it with a PVS-14.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Comes with a LEMO cable for attaching to one device, the COTI has a LEMO receptacle.
View Quote

Yasss...

Thank you
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Ordered, thanks again
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How hard to find are the remote battery packs for COTI?
View Quote
Coti battery pack

Link Posted: 10/21/2020 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Comes with a LEMO cable for attaching to one device, the COTI has a LEMO receptacle.
View Quote

@SIASL
I don't have a COTI so I'm not 100% but I don't think this is correct. The COTI has a different power receptacle as you can see in the pic from HK94dude
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top