Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 5:10:25 AM EDT
I've got the old helmet design, old suspension system, etc. I am kind confused....now what are the upgrades for these helmets? Is it  just the suspension system (from suspension to a pad system) or are there also balistic upgrades as well or combined. Sorry guess I am just slow???
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:51:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I need to upgrade several helmets, and I'm trying to find something that won't be $100+ a piece.  Hopefully someone will have an answer.

To answer your question, I don't think there were any ballistic upgrades, at least not that I've ever heard of.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:32:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Cheapest "upgrade" I have seen and dealt with at <than 100 bucks is the SDS 3 pt chinstrap assembly and a donut pad.

I have seen a couple of suspension upgrades other than the oregon aero, but I havent messed with them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got one of these 3 Point Straps ( click here ) from this guy emmado22 on the bay.   It was around $20 bucks and pretty decent for the price.  I will try and post pics if there is some interest.

eta

I was in theatre with one of the old (issue) US GI 2 point straps and wore it for upwards of a year.
this one beats the hell outta the US G.I. issued strap

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:29:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

....donut pad.

Where does that go? Between your head and the suspension or between the suspension and the helmet?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:42:09 AM EDT
[#5]
placed between head and suspension harness.  For what it is, it gives a completely different feel to the helmet.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Hopefully this may answer several questions.

First, I do not believe the ballistics on helmets have changed. Most are good to threat level IIIA. The suspension systems on almost all newly purchased helmets, depending on where you purchase it from and how new it is, should have some type of new system verses the old WWII era type systems. My current lid is made by Second Chance and has one of the nicest suspension set-ups I've seen to date.
      Stick, you stated that you were looking for a system under a $100 per lid. I found a replacement system in actiongear.com for $49.00 (RBR® PASGT HELMET REPLACEMENT HARNESS SYSTEM). It looks fairly similar to what I am using and I have been extremely pleased with my helmet. The system helps keep the helmet very comfortable while wicking away moisture during the hot months. Where I live gets very hot and humid and this becomes a very valuable tool. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:35:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't see any pads with the RBR like on the the Aero. So where does the helmet rest, right on the head or is that a type of suspension system as well?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#9]
So is the Aero a good upgrade or is the RBR better. Something about the pads makes me think the Aero is better???
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:21:31 AM EDT
[#10]
get the Aero BLSS if you can.. I have it on my PASGT and it's awsome! really good product.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top