Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2002 1:14:59 PM EDT
I have been considering a Kel-Tec P32 for a pocket sized gun.  I have read through the information that has been previously posted and found some information.  I am looking to see if there is anymore hands on experience with this weapon.  I like the size and weight and haven't found many comparable options.  Have they improved from their first runs of production?  I currently have a USP .40 compact and a G19.  The size of the Kel-Tec would be awful convenient compared to these guns when fishing, running, etc.  I understand the sacrifice in caliber, just something to carry when it may not be completely practical.  Any information is appreciated.

Thnaks,
Morgan
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
i absolutely love mine, i own two, have had only 1 or 2 failures of any kind with both, the trigger pull is SWEET for something so small. the recoil is also sweet for such a small sized pistol, i bought the "stainless" one because the blued model was finished rather poorly and started rusting in some spots from sweat and being carried so close to the body. it is DEFINATELY worth the money  the sights were a little odd, but it's not exactly a 100 yd weapon (more like 100 inches)
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Get one.

I used to carry the G19 also, but I found myself being reluctant to carry at all times.  Let's face it, there are sometimes where dressing for CCW is a real pain in the ass.  We all know that the first rule of gunfighting is to have a gun.  My P-32 goes everywhere I do with absolutely no inconvenience.  The gun will dissappear inside an Uncle Mike's no.1 pocket holster and is the best all day carry gun I have ever owned.

On a side note, it is no .45.  Be aware of the limitations of your caliber and act accordingly.

If I pull it, your getting the whole mag.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#3]
buy
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had one of the very early blued ones since they first came out.  It has yet to have the first problem or failure to feed or fire.  Like Quietshoez sez though, the stainless is probably a better bet for pocket carry in hot weather.  Been thinking about either getting another in stainless or getting my blued parts NP3'd.

Mine digests everything I've tried so far, but the Winchester Silver Tips seem a little more willing to expand than anything else I've tried.

Pat
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the belt clip and the blued slide.
PRACTICE with the pistol til you dream about
placing the first shot.Then, use Gun-Kote or the Brownell's equivalent to paint the slide
matte black to keep rust away.Put a white
epoxy dot up front for quick sight picture
AIM Surplus used to have FN 32 ammo for
around $75/1000.Practice some more. I carry mine
appendix carry and with the clip it's
well concealed.Regards, Chuck Hunt
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know if quietshoez is talking about the Kel-Tec P-32.  I don't think they've ever made a P-32 with a stainless slide.  I've never seen one, heard it mentioned on the mailing list, or seen it mentioned on their web site.  Sweet trigger pull?  It's long and hard for safety.

Morgan523, I've had one for just over a year.  After the first trip to the range, I haven't made it through an entire magazine without one or more jams per magazine.  I've seen several others at the range, and not a one of them worked well.  I've tried every single brand of 32 ACP I've seen for sale (about 9 I think) without find anything that wouldn't fail more than 25% of the time in a P-32.  The company's service is a joke, and they have someone new doing service on the P-32's that, well to put it politely, seems to need more time to "get up to speed."  Mine needs a new frame and barrel, and they didn't replace them the last time I sent it back nor did they test fire it as promised.  The turn-around time was quick, but it doesn't take long at all to just slap a return label on a box.  I've got some pictures of mine at users.upstate.net/zoom/P-32/ that show the ruined frame, split springs, and peened barrel.  Also, many(most?) of the P-32's simply won't stay together.  The flimsy spring they use to try to hold the assembly pin in place is, well, flimsy.  The same spring is also what holds the slide stop down.  Well, usually.  Expect to have it often engage prematurely.  Also, I haven't found anywhere, other than the factory, that carries parts for them.  Even Brownells and Numrich don't carry them.

If you're really interested in the P-32, you can go to www.ktog.org for more info.  For the price it isn't too bad.  You can buy it, and if it doesn't work you're not out that much.z
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#7]
yeah, almost forget to tell you about zoom and his endless rants about his bad kel-tec, morgan523,it's almost obsessive.
that guy must work for beretta or NAA or something, don't let anyone tell you what works for you, my best advice is to find someone that owns one, shoot it, and decide for yourself.
edited to add, parts can be obtained from www.cdnninvestments.com
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I dunno - I get kind of worried when there is an entire list of "fluff and buff" that you should perform before you expect your a gun to perform reliably.  People seem excited when they put two boxes through it without any failures.  Even those who really sing its praises only seem to have shot a couple of hundred rounds through theirs (pocket pistols not be that fun to shoot...) and brag about "only" having one or two failures.

I don't think I could really trust a gun with my life without putting at least 4-500 rounds through it personally without any failures.  And this is with firearms with proven reliable designs (hey, everyone can put out a lemon now and again), and the p32 only seems to have marginal reliability track record for something to be used for defensive purposes. 4-500 rounds seems to be more than the average p32 sees in its entire life - as I said, in checking out ktog's site, people seem excited when they get through a box without issues.

Add to that them seem pretty picky about ammo - but each gun seems to be picky about different kinds.  Then add in the potential for rimlock in any semi with a .32 cal.

It seems many have problems out of the box, and a good portion need to be sent back to the factory.  It seems KT is very good about correcting the problem, but you are still inconveniences by being without a gun you already paid for, not to mention I'm sure you have to pay for shipping charges back, which probably is about 10% of what you paid for the gun in the first place.

Then again, the price is pretty cheap, and it really is the only gun in its class.  Sure, there are other pocket pistols out there, but none as light and slim as the p32.

Rocko
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#9]

that guy must work for beretta or NAA or something

Nice logic.  When a friend of yours has trouble with their Ford, do you accuse them of working for Chevy or Dodge?

my best advice is to find someone that owns one, shoot it, and decide for yourself.

I can't argue with that.  He's 100% right.  Some people just don't like shooting small guns.  I like the challenge.  Well, it's a challenge for me anyway.

parts can be obtained from www.cdnninvestments.com

Do you have a URL for the Kel-Tec parts?  I searched for "keltec" and "kel-tec" and didn't find anything.  Also, I clicked on "Gun Parts," and they didn't have Kel-Tec listed with the brands.

rocko wrote:

but none as light and slim as the p32.

That's why I bought mine even after seeing others have trouble with theirs.  It's worth some effort to not have to carry something as clunky as a (potato in the pocket) 38 revolver or a Glock.z
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#10]
While at the range last week a guy showed up with his brand new Kel tec .32 and a brand new taurus .38 snubbie. Nice amiable guy borrow's my stable gun, talks awhile and offers to let me try his new toys after he puts a few round through them.

Well............the Kel tec SUCKED. Just my opinion. It didn't jam with the FMj's so no bitch in that regard. I found the sights lacking and the trigger awful. In all fairness I'm not a mousegun advocate.

While the 1st rule in a gunfight mite well be "Have a Gun", Steve's 2nd rule of a gunfight is to have a "Gun capable of WINNING the fight". YMMV

On the brighter side I was very impressed with the Taurus .38 snubbie. It was one of the new Titanium and stainless models. It was so light as to be almost unbelievable. Yet with the ported barrel the 125gr +P jhp's I put through it kicked less than my steel frame Mdl 36 S&W with wadcutters. It also printed at point of aim at 15 yards with a Very smooth trigger pull and crisp let off. Very impressed indeed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#11]
BUY IT. I own one, my wife has one, my dad has one, his friend has one. They all work. I have fired approx 300 rounds through mine. 0 stoppages. Be careful when loading not to get one cartridge rim behind another. That will stop any auto. I carry speer Gold Dots or Win Silver tips.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Morgan523 - I bought two of the P32's when they first came out (serial #9XX), gave one to my father-in-law.  Not a problem from either of them.  I put about 300 rounds thru each.  Had them nickel plated by Jack Fuselier (www.ktog.org).  I also own an early Seecamp 32.  The KelTec is a little larger, but much lighter.  Also, the KelTec has a better trigger, is not ammo sensitive, and recoils less (locked breech).
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 11:17:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought my Dad a Kel-Tec & we shoot it ok. If I had the $$, I'd carry one at work everyday.

I'd give it two thumbs up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I own 2 of them. I have never had any problems with either of them.  I use gold dots with no problems at all.  Nice little pistol for it's size and caliber. Not a far away gun but most problems happen up close.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 3:51:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Be careful when loading not to get one cartridge rim behind another. That will stop any auto.

I don't understand, how do you get a "rimless" cartridge like a 32ACP to get one rim behind another...or any real auto pistol cartridge for that matter. I've never done anything in particular to prevent such a thing and never had this problem in any of my pistols?  Enquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 3:58:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Get the P-32. Go armed when you can't go armed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I appreciate all the responses.  They have been both informative and entertaining.  As I mentioned I am interested in the size and weigth for carry purposes when its not completely practical to carry.  I would rather have something than nothing.  The knife fight thread got me thinking about this also.  I talked to my local dealer and he said he would handle all shipping if necessary.

I really like the Rabbit9, "If I pull it, you are getting the whole magheI am still considering the belt clip.

Thanks,
Morgan

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 6:41:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Curt, 32acp is semi-rimmed like 38 super,
very small overhang but enough to cause problems
sometimes. For those interested the Fiocchi
60 gr jhp clocks 1058 fps from my P32(avg for 10 shots @ about 12 ft from muzzle), fastest
I've found out of every brand I can find
including Cor-bon. I too had ftf probs when
gun was new but none since about three boxes of shells.My experience with Kel-Tec's service has been only positive but ANY business can have a bad day or individual product--It's whether they will make it right without hassles that
counts for me.Regards, Chuck Hunt
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I've tried alot of the "little guns" in search of that perfect carry everywhere gun. I started with the Colt Pony - found it heavy but reliable, gave it to my dad for his carry. Next I got a Keltec P11, hated it, nasty trigger, not reliable enough to be worthy of my trust. I traded it in on a Keltec P32, shot a couple hundred rounds through it with a few jams (FTF and FTE) then the firing pin broke and got stuck, sent to keltec for repair, got it back, fired it some more, seems to work ok now, no more jams but I have no trust in the gun. So I said the hell with small guns and went back to carrying a Springfield TRP 1911, once again got tired of the weight and bought a Kimber CDP 1911, fullsize model but incredibly light. I must have absolute trust in the gun I carry and I must be able to shoot it well, that is more important to me than comfort of carry. I am a big guy so the 1911 disappears in my Galco IWB holster. I figure if I really need to use a gun, I'll be damn glad that the gun I have with me is a fullsize 1911 shooting 45 acp. Sure the P32 was alot easier to carry, but I won't carry a gun that I don't trust, the 1911's I trust and it carries better than the thicker Glocks, Sigs and HK's which I have carried at some point as well.

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Buy it.

We've got two.
Both had to go back to the shop when they were young, but no problems in the last 5-600 rounds.
You can't beat the size/wt/firepower/accuracy of the gun.

My kids got frustrated because they thought anything that small and "cute" should be easy to shoot.
The only guns they have really found to be easy have been the Ruger MKII .22s

Grown-ups are always impressed at how accurate the tiny gun is.

Note: You may have to shoot a few hundred rounds to achieve said accuracy, but that could be the case with any gun.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I don't understand, how do you get a "rimless" cartridge like a 32ACP to get one rim behind another...or any real auto pistol cartridge for that matter. I've never done anything in particular to prevent such a thing and never had this problem in any of my pistols?  Enquiring minds want to know.

Curt, seahunt already answered this one. The .32 does have a rim. Since were talking about micro guns, I just wanted to add that the .25 ACP is also semi-rimmed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top