Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2002 10:00:34 AM EDT
A friend picked up a new Para Ord P-14 and I got to shoot it about three weeks ago.

-Grip Frame felt more comfortable than I expected

Dislikes:
-Klinton magazine is overly difficult to load
-Factory grips are less than desirable
-Magazine does not sit flush with Mag-well, had plast “tang” at bottom of magazine

After we shot at the range, I stripped and inspected the gun I noticed some wear inside the barrel bushing.  At the time, the owner had put about 300-500 rnds through the gun. I would not be surprised if he fired it dry “out-of-the-box” however, that still is no reason for the wear.
Upon closer inspection, it appears as if the barrel bushing is PLATED. There is the appearance of two dissimilar metals where the plating is worn off.  This area inside the bushing is pretty gouged up.

Can anyone elaborate on what I’ve seen?
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I agree with you on your 3 observations and while I don't have exact details I believe the Bushing is a plated alloy.  I don't know Para's reason for this other than to save money.  I probably have 5000 rounds through mine with no problems.  If the wear you speak of continues to be excessive have a smith look at the fit of the barrel link.  Many Para's are questionable in this area.  Does not normally cause a problem on the 1445 but can be a problem on the high pressure 40S&W P1640.  I have 4 hi-caps with Dawson basepads for me and 18+1 of .45 is a warm fuzzy feeling.  However I have some Mec-gar nickel 10 rounders from Brownells that work great.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the metal they use for Paras is cheap crap hands down. I got my Para a month ago, and I have less than 600 rounds through it. It already shows wear on the rails, etc. However, it is smooth and has yet to fail firing, except for one bad cheap reload round I used.

As for the magazines, get high caps. The ten rounders suck crap.

If your friend wants to drop the money, contact Dawson Precision, Evolution Gun Works or Hunter's Customs to have them fix it up with a match barrel, bushing, etc. From what I read over on the 1911 forum, IDPA and pin shooters only use the Para's slide and frame from the factory. Everything else is custom.

themao
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got several thousand rounds through my stainless P1445 and although there is wear, I would not consider it excessive. So far the pistol has been stone reliable. My only complaint is that I became a Para-magaholic and have a lot of money invested in hi-cap mags. I'm planning on buying a P1445 Limited soon so at least I can divy up the mags...
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Is the barrel bushing on the P-14 inter-changeable with any any major .45 Manufacter/Model (i.e. Colt)?
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Bushing should be interchangable. Check with EGW or Kings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top