Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2012 8:37:48 AM EDT
How is everyone coming up with their overall length? Is there some chart to go by that says - "an ar15 with a 10.5" barrel has an overall length of _____"? I would like to Form 1 two lowers, but I am not sure how to come up with an overall length for an 11.5" barrel and a 12.5" barrel? I have also heard conflicting information regarding whether or not the stock should be collapsed or extended?

Any suggestions?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Stock extended. It wouldn't be overall length if the stock was collapsed.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Seems to me you would want to put "under 26 inches" that way you are covered if you are under, same way you would want to put "under 16 inches" for the barrel length to cover you regardless of what upper you put on it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How is everyone coming up with their overall length? Is there some chart to go by that says - "an ar15 with a 10.5" barrel has an overall length of _____"? I would like to Form 1 two lowers, but I am not sure how to come up with an overall length for an 11.5" barrel and a 12.5" barrel? I have also heard conflicting information regarding whether or not the stock should be collapsed or extended?

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

A standard AR15 variant with a 11.5 inch barrel and a typical 6 position collapsible stock is 30.5 inches overall.  Just add or subtract based upon your barrel length.  

Barrel length is measured from the face of a closed bolt to the end of the barrel which does not include a muzzle device unless the device is permanently attached. (pin/weld or silver solder).

Overall length is measured with the stock extended as per the previous post.

ETA: Martinsburg will no longer approve forms with "less than 16" or similar statements or forms listing two lengths.  You must list the length of the gun/barrel as you intend to initially "make" it.  Once you make it that length you can change the length at will.  Martinsburg "asks" that you notify them if you make a "permanent" change.

Link Posted: 6/2/2012 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#4]
This comes up once a week.  Hey Tony_K––-can this be a sticky?

19" added to the barrel length to establish OAL of the gun.  Once the stmap comes back you do not have to keep the same length upper on the lower receiver.   You can put a 5" 9mm upper onto the gun even if the Form 1 says 11.5" 5.56, etc...

Good luck OP on dual Form 1s.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This comes up once a week.  Hey Tony_K––-can this be a sticky?

19" added to the barrel length to establish OAL of the gun.  Once the stmap comes back you do not have to keep the same length upper on the lower receiver.   You can put a 5" 9mm upper onto the gun even if the Form 1 says 11.5" 5.56, etc...

Good luck OP on dual Form 1s.

Thank you everyone for the replies, I appreciate it!

LMTRocks - my apologies if this is a frequent post. I did search, but I guess my searchfu is weak today. Thanks again!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top