Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2002 1:46:36 PM EDT
I'm a Washington State resident and I just tried to buy a rifle in Oregon and I was told that that kind of transactions are no longer allowed. Is this true? Where is the updated law?
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know what the answer is but you probably could do it but they would have to ship it up to a Washington FFL for you to pick up.... kind of retarded I know.

I just called ATF to check and see if I could mail a firearm to myself in Alaska since I am going on a guided trip in a few weeks. They said I would have to mail it to an FFL so I will take a long gun case as checked baggage on my flight instead.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought a rifle in Illinois, I live in Missouri.  So it's still legal, but, it doesn't matter what we think, it's what the dealer thinks, heh.

Actually, at this same show I heard a guy and a dealer arguing.  Guy wanted to buy the rifle, dealer said he didn't know if he could sell a long gun to Mo resident.  Guy said yes of course.  Dealer said he wouldn't do it, wasn't worth it.  

I overheard this from another table, standing with another dealer I know (who is from Illinois).  Exact quote, talking about the other dealer "Stupid mother f@cker doesn't even know gun law and he's a dealer, it's perfectly legal to sell him that rifle."
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just called ATF to check and see if I could mail a firearm to myself in Alaska since I am going on a guided trip in a few weeks. They said I would have to mail it to an FFL so I will take a long gun case as checked baggage on my flight instead.

Read Q&A B10.  This is under Q&A Table of contents...

Yes, you can mail it to yourself...

(B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting
or other lawful activity?
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of
another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any
other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons
other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the
firearm.

mark
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#5]
As Troy said, an out of state purchase must comply with Federal law and the laws of both states, and clear a NICS check.

As a stupid example, I live in Iowa. Iowa law says that I can buy a long gun in any state that borders on Iowa, but not in a non-adjacent state. Dealers in other states have to know or look up the law in your state before they can sell to you.

If in fact the laws affecting you have changed, it wasn't a change in federal law, but could have been a change in either Oregon or Washington law. Or there was some other bureaucratic junk that the dealer didn't want to deal with or didn't know about, and he just blew you off.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Troy,

AFAIK PRK residents can buy out of state firearms if they meet all of the current safety laws (ie. on the list) and are not otherwise prohibited (like so-called "aw's"). You have to have it shipped to a CA FFL for the DROS, background check, and waiting period. You cannot go to another state and do so in person, but you can have it shipped to a local FFL.

If it is a long gun, and not prohibited, anyone can ship it to your FFL, I believe. A pistol must go FFL to FFL.

I have purchased this way in the past, and unless something changed recently, it was not a problem.

Ray
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 5:57:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Troy,

AFAIK PRK residents can buy out of state firearms if they meet all of the current safety laws (ie. on the list) and are not otherwise prohibited (like so-called "aw's"). You have to have it shipped to a CA FFL for the DROS, background check, and waiting period. You cannot go to another state and do so in person, but you can have it shipped to a local FFL.

If it is a long gun, and not prohibited, anyone can ship it to your FFL, I believe. A pistol must go FFL to FFL.

I have purchased this way in the past, and unless something changed recently, it was not a problem.

Ray

What you just described, 240z, is buying a firearm inside your own state after it was transferred to your local FFL.  The ATF doesn't care how the money got to the original seller, just where you took posession of the rifle.  By having it shipped to your FFL, you are buying it from him as far as the ATF, and PRK equivalent, cares.

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Either the dealer has no idea what he is talking about or it’s an Oregon law.

RCW 9.41.122
Out-of-state purchasing.
Residents of Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns in a state other than Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such purchase is made.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe that the dealer was misinformed or lying since she also wanted me to fill out a form and do the thumb prints which is the same procedure as handgun purchases. I called two other dealers and they said that nothing has changed. Personally I think that she was lying to me so that I would transfer the gun to a Washington dealer because I informed here when I went to pick up the rifle that I just moved Oregon, but i'm still technically a Washington resident. She said that I could not put down my old address because she knew I lived in Oregon. If it's legal for both state resident to purchase a rifle why would it matter. Some dealers are just anal or scared of the ATF.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top