Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 6/7/2008 6:04:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 1:07:01 PM EST by sheltot]
Backstory: My SA M1A was bouncing ejected brass up into my SEI scope mount and it was (about 25% of the time) bouncing right back and jamming the rifle. On the advice of several archive threads, I acquired a new ejector from Amherst Depot.

So I ordered one and the bolt tool from Brownells. Take down was easy and had the bolt apart about 20 minutes after I started. Cut me some slack, it was my first time. So I put the new ejector in place, give the handle a squeeze so that I could put the extractor back and noticed the ejector wasn't pushing back. It is now quite stuck in the bolt. I've rapped it pretty good with a plastic mallet hoping to free it, alas, to no avail.

Questions:
1. Am I totally farqed and in need of a new bolt?
2. Just for reference, are bolts essentially drop in items?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:31:50 PM EST
pop it out from the bottom with a punch.

You need to check headspace if you swap bolts.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:04:53 PM EST

Originally Posted By 30Caliber:

Bottom of what, it's almost a blind hole? There's a very small hole toward the back of the bolt and I can see about 1-2 coils of the ejector spring. Or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 7:51:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/8/2008 7:52:24 AM EST by 30Caliber]

Originally Posted By sheltot:

Originally Posted By 30Caliber:

Bottom of what, it's almost a blind hole? There's a very small hole toward the back of the bolt and I can see about 1-2 coils of the ejector spring. Or am I missing something?

I thought you were talking about the extractor. Sorry. I use a pick or a magnate to get the spring out. If it's still stuck in there, I'd flush the hole out with lighter fluid, then try again.

Did you have the ejector spring out earlier? If it's intact, it should be good to go. It shouldn't bind up unless the hole is packed with grease. The other way to keep it from compressing is to stick the extractor in before you've compressed the bolt.

I don't own a bolt tool. I chamber a spent 30-06 case and compress the springs against that. Takes 2 seconds.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 8:35:14 AM EST
I guess to give a more complete picture (without actual pics, though I could do that if necessary) is to say that the ejector is in the bolt flush with the bolt face and is stuck nice and tight.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 9:09:38 AM EST
Whatever you do, get your eye protection on. Seriously.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 6:31:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/9/2008 6:35:30 AM EST by Hebrew_Battle_Rifle]
Put the bolt in the oven and get it up to about 400 degrees or so. It will take a while to get the bolt "soaked." If ,after the bolt is hot, the ejector does not pop out on it's own, hold the bolt ,while it is still hot, and touch the end of the ejector with the tip of a frozen phillips screw driver.

Eye pro is a must.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:13:20 PM EST
I really thought Hebrew_Battle_Rifle had the answer, so I tried it. Unfortunately, it didn't work. So I contacted Springfield Armory first by e-mail; then by phone as they wanted to be sure of the problem. I sent the bolt in with heavy cloth tied over the front to prevent it "firing" in the mail. Wouldn't that suck?!? In my cover letter, I explained the immediate problem of the stuck ejector and the reason for it (spent brass ejecting upward, hitting the scope mount and rebounding back into the closing bolt.) I sent the original ejector as well, since they asked for it. About two weeks later, I got it back saying only they had removed the stuck ejector and replaced it with my original. I was happy to get my bolt back, but unhappy with the thought that it would repeat its past problems. I finally got a chance to take it out this weekend. The problem is cured - the brass ejects smartly off to the right and slightly behind the shooter. Yea Springfield!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:33:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By sheltot:
I really thought Hebrew_Battle_Rifle had the answer, so I tried it. Unfortunately, it didn't work. So I contacted Springfield Armory first by e-mail; then by phone as they wanted to be sure of the problem. I sent the bolt in with heavy cloth tied over the front to prevent it "firing" in the mail. Wouldn't that suck?!? In my cover letter, I explained the immediate problem of the stuck ejector and the reason for it (spent brass ejecting upward, hitting the scope mount and rebounding back into the closing bolt.) I sent the original ejector as well, since they asked for it. About two weeks later, I got it back saying only they had removed the stuck ejector and replaced it with my original. I was happy to get my bolt back, but unhappy with the thought that it would repeat its past problems. I finally got a chance to take it out this weekend. The problem is cured - the brass ejects smartly off to the right and slightly behind the shooter. Yea Springfield!!

Hence why I praise SAI... they will always stand behind their product.
Top Top