Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2020 11:45:57 AM EDT
I was thinking about using a Rolodex or index card box to keep info straight like what loads shot how from x gun. Maybe a notebook wood be better. What are you using?
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a little pocket-sized notebook in my range bag, then I transfer notes and chrono velocities to an Excel file when I get home.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was thinking about using a Rolodex or index card box to keep info straight like what loads shot how from x gun. Maybe a notebook wood be better. What are you using?
View Quote

3 ring binder with plastic partitions/dividers in it.

I print out Avery labels as like a form and stick them on the targets :

I have a separate label form for chrono data...when I di actually bring my chrono along.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Of course... I started writing a thread on the topic early this morning and left it open on my computer while i worked on some house stuff.  I just posted it and then saw this thread immediately below.  

-Mike
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not in a Google Sheet doc? You can easily access it on your phone.

Link Posted: 8/13/2020 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I use Excel spread sheets.  I keep the actual targets I fire on at the range (8.5"X11").  Those go in a loose leaf binder.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Loose leaf notebook.  Pistol info on one side, flip it over and put the rifle ammo data on the other side.

Date, caliber, primer used, bullets used, powder used, amount of powder, overall length, number of rounds loaded.  Takes up 4 or 5 lines each session.  Skip a line before recording data for the next session/caliber.  Only time I record brand of brass used is if it's for some interesting rifle ammo I'm trying to shoot really small groups with.  Or when the brass is mixed/miscellaneous brass for plinking ammo.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Notebook.  I also put labels on all the things.

Screen shots are nice too.

Link Posted: 8/13/2020 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Pictures of targets on the computer and data in an Excel book. Each sheet is specific to a particular bullet in a particular cartridge. So it's not cluttered, I did a few simple macros to hide or unhide sheets.  Each sheet is arranged so they fit on a letter sheet so I can print out older data in case something happens to the file or computer.

Before, I just had my notes haphazardly scrawled in a "red and black" brand A5 sized notebook.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I use an Excel spread sheets which I save to Google Drive so I can access them from any computer or phone. I take pics of my targets and insert them into the spread sheet as well. Any digital loading data gets saved in a file for the specific caliber or rifle with the load data spreed sheet. I'm a spread sheet junky and have over 200 sheets for load data, component and loaded round inventory as well as anything else I can think of.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve kept a 2” binder since ‘95 and the first half is loading data and the second half is target data with group size and chronograph data.

I can then go back to check things, even 25 years back.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 11:56:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I just use a composition notebook that's may be 50 years old.

Date then load info.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 7:01:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve never learned Excel and don’t really want to, so I’ll probably go with a 3 ring binder or something similar.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 7:02:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I use spreadsheets.  Targets are scanned and used in one spreadsheet and also for OnTarget TDS calculations.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve never learned Excel and don’t really want to, so I’ll probably go with a 3 ring binder or something similar.
View Quote

Despite my mid 20s millenialness... I'm with you on pen and paper. I like my notebook and paper manuals. I ate crayons for 4 years and fit/weld pipe, haven't used my computer in probably 2 years.

Eventually I intend to make up a binder but I'm still new enough to reloading to not have enough data of my own.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have two.

One is a small hardbound engineer’s notebook which I have used since about 1993.  I have pages for each caliber I reload, I run it kind of like a general ledger like an accounting book.  

left page is my columns of lot no., date, load info, quantity loaded, right facing page gets set up notes and chrono data and group sizes on workups.
The second is a typical bound black and white composition notebook that gaves more room for info on my precision loads and detailed measurements.   I really only kept match loads of .260 , .308 and my match 5.56 loads there.

edit to add, I also write a card or slip of paper with my own lot # and the load and case history.   That goes in the box.   If I am chronographing the load, I will record the data on the back of the card with weather and temp.  I will transpose the average V and Sd, Es and the wx conditions to my enginner notebook when I get home.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I started out using Excel but moved to Word. It's easier, for me anyway, to insert tables, text, pictures, etc.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I gather the data in Excel.

LabRadar to gather data, then a little VBA routine to consolidate all the data into a single workbook vs. a workbook for every shot.

Comes out looking like this for each series. Shot data has heat map for velocity and KE.  Shot reading details below that.  Little section up top for load details. I could add firearm label easily but I only reload for ~10 firearms so I have them all memorized.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top