Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2006 3:14:17 PM EDT
It's a DSA STG58. I've been a diehard M14 guy, it's time for something different. Now for the 12 week wait.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The wait will surely be worth it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:43:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I also just ordered another FN: the SA58 Congo.  I was also given the 12 week. Egad!  I guess it will be an early Christmas present to myself.  I have had a pre-ban Belgium FN FAL 50.00 since the mid to late 1980's.  Great rifle, but heavy and long.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Ordered by first FAL today, SA58 Para Tactical.  I was told 12 weeks as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I am hoping the quoted 12 week wait is to cover their butt, and that we will get it sooner.  Its tough to finally make up your mind which one you want, and then have to wait 3 months.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#6]
raf, thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely switch out the handguards, get an ambi safety, and get the Israeli bolt/bolt carrier. I ordered it this way:

18" barrel w/flash suppressor.
Folding stock
Tritium sights
No bipod
Saw grip
steel handguards
type II receiver

I wanted a no frills woods/camp/truck gun. I might get the DSA scope mount later. As for the cryo barrel, it could be on the next FAL I get.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#7]
It may take more than 12 weeks. I ordered my STG-58 standard, no upgrades rifle in March and am still waiting.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That's cool.  A properly tricked-out FAL is the practical equal of an M1A IMHO, and I own a SM M1A and a thoroughly modified FAL.

You might want to consider that you can change your order, substitute some parts that you will eventually want from DSA, and they will swap out the original parts and sub the new ones at a reduced cost.

For example:

DSA scope mount--Great way to scope a FAL

SAW pistol grip-- More natural angle, and some storage space to boot.

Medium contour stainless steel cryo-treated barrel--  More accurate, and will last a long time due to the cryo.  Make sure to get a NATO-compatible chamber.  Do NOT get a Match chamber unless you intend to shoot only Match ammo.  Shooting Match ammo in most FALS is over-doing it, IMHO.  NATO milsurp may not reliably chamber in a Match-chambered barrel.

Synthetic handguards-- Cooler, and just plain easier to grip.

Delete bipod-- NG on the barrel above, but nearly useless anyway, in addition to the extra weight.

Aluminum lower-- Easiest way to save half a pound on the FAL.  Get an alloy trigger guard, too.

Ambi-safety-- might need to shoot weak-side sometime.

Trigger job-- If you're the least bit handy, you could buy the Falcon Arms trigger pull reduction kit and DIY.  Just a suggestion, but most FALS come with poor triggers (generally much worse that a stock M1A), and a good trigger goes a LONG way to helping you make a good shot.

Israeli bolt carrier and charging handle--will provide positive bolt control, both back and forward.  Something the stock FAL lacks, and something you might need someday.  Your M1A already has this.

Just a suggestion.  I've done all the above, with the exception of the SS barrel (it's on the short list).  Some of the parts I negotiated with with DSA and got for a reduced cost with swap-out.  Some I bought later as I became more knowledgeable, and realized how to correct the shortcomings of the FAL.

I realize this will likely delay your receipt of the rifle, but what's the big deal?  You already waiting 12 weeks, what's a little more time when it saves you some money (eventually), and you get a much better rifle?

Yes, it will increase the cost, but it is cheaper to swap out and buy now than buy later and try to sell-off your surplus.  Besides, you have 12 weeks to come up with the extra cash.

If you follow my suggestions, you will have an EXCEPTIONAL FAL.  Trust me.

This is a fine example of why i think it is worth the moeny to be a paid member, even though this inof right there came free, I at least know that im helping keep this site going, thanks for the great info!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top