Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2020 3:46:27 AM EDT
I've wanted one of these for a good while. However I've had 3 thermals over the years and so far had technical trouble out of two of the three so I'm a little skeptical of getting another without some user feedback. The only one thats been trouble free has been my Flir ps32 which i have had 7ish years and love. Instalert is amazing and its the cheapest one i've bought.

However I've been able to play with some of the sensor fused thermal overlay stuff in the past and its impressive and seems a lot simpler than switching optics a bunch but the devil is often in the details.

1. Looks like the battery life is 2 hours? That sucks but thermal battery life always sucks i can deal.
2. Ive seen in pictures there appears to be an eyepiece that may allow you to use the coti as a standalone unit, but it doesn't appear advertised with the units anymore. How does this work and is this even an option anymore?
3. are they reasonably rugged? Do they appear noticeably less rugged than say a PVS-14? Would you be afraid to go certain places with it attached to a pvs-14 that you'ld feel comfortable going with the pvs-14.
4. Are they just as useful as say a 320 core standalone thermal? nearly as useful? It appears speed of id and location would be much faster but there could be other concerns. If i were to get a PAS-29 would i regret letting my ps32 (320x240) go or will i still want both? If i get a pas-29 i would probably recoup some cost by selling the ps32.
5. How are the ergonomics? does it make the pvs-14 too bulky or other?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Love the capability it gives but I do not think the juice is worth the squeeze when you factor in performance.

Yes it is fusion but it’s a thermal overlay. So it’s not the greatest thermal picture.

It can be distracting in certain environments and the battery life is somewhat lousy.

There are dedicated thermal units I would buy before I bought this, this is low on the NV must have gear list, something I might invest in when all my other capability gaps are covered. That said if you already have a good handheld thermal and a NV clip on unit and a good laser illuminator and your rifle is setup to be shot passively with your WP dual tubes then it might be time to look at the -29 system to augment your setup.
View Quote

This is really good info, and about where I was at when I decided to buy mine minus having the handheld thermal. It is not that good where you have to have it but it is a nice addition when it is super dark out.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I would not trade a dedicated thermal for a coti. I would also not be without my coti. I detect  way more wildlife with my coti as opposed  to stopping and scanning  with a dedicated spotter. I definitely walked by many warm blooded animals before I had my coti. When I detect something I then stop and use my patrol to determine what it is. Battery life is short, but changing in the fields is quick and easy. The battery cap has course threads. I have had no problems with mine, but it is an electronic device and anything  can happen, but remember,  they are made for military use.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Couple answers after using mine for about 4mo so far -

1. Looks like the battery life is 2 hours? That sucks but thermal battery life always sucks i can deal.
Yes the battery life using the onboard CR123 is pretty bad. It also starts giving low battery warnings quickly when it's real cold out. Ran into this while coyote hunting in the teens. Getting the external battery pack cable/splitter is really key, and I believe the only source right now that I've found is Night Vision Inc (Glynn). I was lucky enough to have someone reach out on Instagram with one and a -31 battery pack, as the going price for them is pretty crazy otherwise. I'll put a photo below of what they look like.
2. Ive seen in pictures there appears to be an eyepiece that may allow you to use the coti as a standalone unit, but it doesn't appear advertised with the units anymore. How does this work and is this even an option anymore?
I used the handheld eyepiece on one of Augee/TNVC's demo units at a class last year, so I'd assume they can probably source them. Very poor performance - super super tight eye relief that you have to hold just right to get to view clearly. I'd only use it attached to an NVG.
3. are they reasonably rugged? Do they appear noticeably less rugged than say a PVS-14? Would you be afraid to go certain places with it attached to a pvs-14 that you'ld feel comfortable going with the pvs-14.
Seems to be quite rugged and solidly built. I imagine the USMC will prove that out or not with their new fusion system lol. If anyone can break them, they will. The only complication that I find is the positioning - while wearing binos I rotate it slightly so it isn't hanging directly below the NV tube but rather between the two goggle pods. This lifts it up a bit higher so it doesn't interfere with my cheek or weapons. You could rotate it completely outboard as well, or further inboard if you just had a -14. It has a built-in rubber lens cover that I use pretty religiously, as germanium thermal lenses are expensive to replace if damaged.
4. Are they just as useful as say a 320 core standalone thermal? nearly as useful? It appears speed of id and location would be much faster but there could be other concerns. If i were to get a PAS-29 would i regret letting my ps32 (320x240) go or will i still want both? If i get a pas-29 i would probably recoup some cost by selling the ps32.
I'd say less useful for static spotting if you're standing in one place and have time to pull out a spotter and look around. More useful if you want to use it more dynamically where you don't need to come out of your binos or pull out and boot up a thermal device. Speed is a huge step up. I mostly leave it off and then quickly rotate the power switch/brightness lever when I want to check for thermal signature. It's very fast to boot up and great for just taking a quick peek in the thermal spectrum to check something. That sort of usage has meant the battery really does last a long time for me (many many nights), but it's not like I have it on constant through the evening. If you enjoy the PS32 and find it useful, I don't think the COTI would be a big step up - maybe just stick with the dedicated thermal if you're happy with its thermal image quality.
5. How are the ergonomics? does it make the pvs-14 too bulky or other?
Similar to 3 above, but I don't get bothered by the bulk. Looks like it's 5.8oz compared to the 12.4oz of a -14, so I'm sure you'd notice it. The weight doesn't bother me though and it clicks on and off its mount very easily and clicks in place securely.

Here's a photo of it in the hand - it's quite a small device overall -

Here's it setup on my helmet with the splitter cable and a LEO buddy's -31s. I think you'll have a tougher time with flippy goggles as it adds to the weight and pulls them down a bit (the 31s wouldn't stay rotated up and I don't know them well enough to say whether there's a way to tighten that. DTNVGs seem tighter though so probably not a big deal with them).

This is how I position the unit with my MOD-3s -

Shots through it in outline mode (screengrabs from video, so not super high quality) -

This was probably full thermal mode -

Here's a video I just took out on the porch through the bare device. No handheld adapter or NVG. So this is basically what the front of the NVG is looking at, a red LCD screen with an optic set so it's focused to infinity (the LCD display looks like it's a long ways off, rather than just being a bare screen - that way your NVG will see it sharply when you're focused at a distance). You'll see me switch between full thermal, patrol and outline modes. I mostly stick to outline, but switch to the others if I want to get a more 'full thermal' look at something.
OPTICS1 AN/PAS-29A COTI (without NVG)

Here's the standard view through with it in outline mode. This is an L3 unfilmed white phos tube in my MOD-3B housing recorded with one of the eyepiece recorders (tiny camera hanging down in front of your eye) -
OPTICS1 AN/PAS-29A COTI (w L3 UF WP NVG)

Happy to answer whatever other questions about the unit. I think it's a pretty niche product for sure, and have a tough time saying "it's worth the money" especially at the prices they've been going for lately. It was a fun addition to my NVG setup after going through an overhaul last year (green pano -10s to L3 binos+thermal). It'd be great if someone tracked down the connector for the power connection, as it'd be nice to make up some more adapters. Here's what it looks like -

Oh, and here's a shot of a deer at 400yd exactly. Only saw it because of the COTI, so it definitely does pretty good at finding hotspots at reasonable distance. I flipped the goggles up and went to the PVS-30 to zoom in and confirm it was a deer not a 'yote -

EDIT - found one more video of it through the tube in Patrol mode - one of the things it excels at is highlighting good ranges of heat in that mode. So it excludes a lot of the extraneous thermal data and just lights up what you want it to. I believe these settings are adjustable if you dive into the software, but not something to mess with at a consumer level -
L3 Filmless White Phosphor with COTI
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had no issues with the COTI on my 31 causing it to not stay articulated up in any position with the battery in. I also have the split cable, and when you utilize the cable to the CWBP the 31 and COTI is still lighter than a PVS-15.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49670106543_54223f0913_b.jpg

I enjoy it for what it is, and why I wanted one. I didn't want to keep switching between a handheld and my nods for thermal detection.

View Quote

Good to hear. I had just borrowed them briefly for some photos. I’m definitely not well-versed on the 31s and whether the screws on the back of the bridge adjust tension or not. Didn’t want to go fiddling with my buddy’s stuff. All the DTs I’ve used had plenty of tension as-is.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#8]
A video I shot >5 years ago with the AN/PAS-29A COTI on an Omni VII PVS-14.

DISCLAIMER: Not a pro, and my wife is still unaware of its existence to this day.

No blackmail.

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Is the standalone viewer supposed to flip/mirror the image?

Whats the difference in part number 912017 and 912018?
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I used my COTI in a halloween night corn maze. I think this highlights the benefits of thermal fusion with night vision very well. With the COTI I could see people through the corn. With just night vision and lights, the corn blocks the light and creates a photonic barrier.

DTNVG + COTI Night Time Corn Maze (Night Vision and Thermal)
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#12]
From the videos I’ve e watched it seems like codi works better with WP tubes vs green? Am I correct with that observation?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:06:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 12:08:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the response! I've been out working too much. Sounds like I might need one and have to keep the flir i have till it gets here to see if i can live without it. I'll sell a couple things and order one soon enough.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Has anyone used the eyepiece viewer with a TACS-M?

Mine isn't working right with my TACS-M and not sure if they are compatible.

Sooooo anyone use them together successfully?
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Not sure why it wouldn't work, the brackets are compatible with the coti/ecoti. I can confirm that.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#17]
The image needs to flip 180° with the viewer. There are little magnets in the viewer and mounts with different polarity to let the coti know what image to display.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:09:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A video I shot >5 years ago with the AN/PAS-29A COTI on an Omni VII PVS-14.

DISCLAIMER: Not a pro, and my wife is still unaware of its existence to this day.

No blackmail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoIgGcEZv_Q
View Quote

Mike Rowe, it you! I know it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:07:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Mike Rowe, it you! I know it.
View Quote

Lol. You’d be surprised how many people I speak with on the phone think I’m his twin.

Sadly, I have a face made for radio.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#20]
ost
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#21]
well shoot... just bought one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top