Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2001 7:45:31 AM EDT
I am looking at buying either a Rock River Arms 5" Elite Commando or either a Kimber Gold Combat or CDP II Custom.  Any feedback on any of these guns?

Mainly the use for this gun will be to add a high quality 1911 to my collection that will shoot well and could serve for carry in a pinch.  It will not be my primary carry gun.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Darin:

You have touched on one of my PASSIONS on this board...and that is, do not fall into the Marketing hype that has surrounded Kimber!

Early on, they made some excellent guns...and today they make a nice LOOKING gun for paper-punching.  However, I would never buy a Kimber with the expectation that it is a serious tactical weapon.  Go to a gun shop that has Kimbers as well as Springfield TRPs, Les Baers, and Ed Brown pistols.  You will quickly notice how clunky the Kimber is put together--look at how the safety fits to the frame...not tight.  In fact, their beavertail safety is hollow (and many IN THE KNOW have derided them for it).

Ask an American Pistolsmiths Guild member what they think of Kimber...and sit back while they tell you why it's not worth the money.  In Houston area, call up Teddy Jacobsen and he will REALLY give Kimber the what-for (of course, he even criticized by Les Baer Premier II!!!).

Rock River makes fine weapons.  I'd go with that ANY DAY over a Kimber.  In fact, I'd take a $500 Springfield over a $750 Kimber if my life depended on it.

Last comment I have stated NUMEROUS TIMES without any retort by members (especially none DOCUMENTED)...think about the fact that you have never heard of any Federal Law Enforcement Agency standardize on Kimber, any major SWAT Organization use them, or any of our Special Forces use them.  That says a lot...especially since Kimber is even an "American Made" firearm.

OK...I'll step back and listen to the Kimber lovers scream.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Tailgate,

Wow....

Well, I guess it is good to know where you stand on this issue.  I definitely can see where you are coming from.  I took a look at a CDP at the local gun shop, I wasn't impressed.  But, as I have nothing to compare it to, and would be buying the rra sight unseen, I wanted some input.

I really can not afford a les baer and that is the main reason I am steering away from them.  The rock river arms for 1275 seems like a good deal and I know that most of the people involved in the group purchase ar-15 really like them.

Thanks again for your response.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Basically everyone I know carries a Kimber or a Glock. Gunsmiths hate Kimbers because there's not that much to customize or make money on. I carry a Kimber on my hip and I shoot a Kimber in competition and am completely satisfied.

"Put the dot on the problem and make the problem go away"
Path27 out.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Try going to this web-site: www.1911forum.com/  It is basically the 1911 equivalent of this board.  Not quite as nice, but still a good source of info.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am looking at buying either a Rock River Arms 5" Elite Commando or either a Kimber Gold Combat or CDP II Custom.  Any feedback on any of these guns?

Mainly the use for this gun will be to add a high quality 1911 to my collection that will shoot well and could serve for carry in a pinch.  It will not be my primary carry gun.

Given your price range, have you not thought about a Wilson Combat 1911?

Their entry level gun is about $950, I believe.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I own both a Kimber (the Custom Target model) and a Rock River Arms (the Bullseye Wadcutter model).  I've been very pleased with both.  For a high dollar pistol, though, I think you get a lot more from RRA than you would from Kimber.  

If I wanted a $1200 Kimber, I'd buy the base model for $600 and send it to Dane Burns ( www.burnscustom.com/ ) for $600 worth of "nice stuff".
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Try going to this web-site: www.1911forum.com/  It is basically the 1911 equivalent of this board.  Not quite as nice, but still a good source of info.  Hope this helps.

I found this site yesterday, it has been a big help.  Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Basically everyone I know carries a Kimber or a Glock. Gunsmiths hate Kimbers because there's not that much to customize or make money on.

I'll have to STRONGLY disagree with you about why gunsmiths hate them.  Any HONEST gunsmith would not be worried about how much money he can make per gun...believe me, gunsmiths don't make a high income even though it seems they charge a lot.  The reason they don't like them is because their parts are junk...and many need to be replaced if they are going to be used as a primary defense weapon with combat shooting.  Therefore, their client has to pay A LOT of money and is unhappy with the gunsmith...when it's the GUN not the smith's fault.

Secondly, why do you think most people you know carry Glocks and Kimbers?  MARKETING...they are the two highest spenders on advertising.  However, I will defend Glock (even though I don't own any and think they're ugly) as they are truly a dependable pistol.  Very little gunsmithing is required outside of the trigger/action...and maybe a part here or there.  Good gun.

As for $1,200 for the RRA...SHEESH!  I paid $1,300 for my Les Baer new (great deal).  I would bet you could find a RRA 1911 for about $850-950 if you shopped around the country.

I'd also go with a Wilson $900 gun before a Kimber...although Wilson has been accused of selling military surplus parts at premium prices (again, gunsmiths talk).  They seem to be fairly reliable.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Given your price range, have you not thought about a Wilson Combat 1911?

Their entry level gun is about $950, I believe.

I have a usp, I wanted an all metal 1911.  Thanks for the advise though.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a springfield national match with ed brown fitted barrel,colt basic but with every add on I can think off,and a basic kimber.If I bench shoot them the springfield wins hands down every time.But I shoot the kimber best standing and have never had any trouble with it.My .02 cents
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Have a 5" Kimber.Good gun.Shot the crap out of it(like 5 or 600 rounds a week) for a couple of years and it still does real well.Real pretty,had a real nice finish before I beat the heck out of it.I have similar grade "production" 1911s from the major names,and function and performance wise its as good as any,and better than some.Hollow beavertail?Guess I better not use it to drive any nails,huh?
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#12]
From what I recall reading from some magazines (I'm not 100% but I think one was Gun Test) The RRA 1911's were VERY highly rated considered to be in the same class as Les Baer.

See if they have/know of a "stocking" dealer in your area and try to get a look at one if you can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top