Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2002 2:35:03 PM EDT
I was looking for opinions on the Heckler & Koch SOCOM.  Very price at $2K, but is it worth having?  How is the feel/shooting/collector appeal?
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool factor is a plus 10, but it is too big for a practical handgun is concern.  i like the USP tactical better.  Collector value is a possible, but you get better return on the USP Expert 40.  If you have the cash, the Mk23 is a good gun for the collection.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Cool factor is a plus 10, but it is too big for a practical handgun is concern.  i like the USP tactical better.  Collector value is a possible, but you get better return on the USP Expert 40.  If you have the cash, the Mk23 is a good gun for the collection.  

Copy that MK23 to big and I have large hands.  So I bought a Tactical, I also own a Match.  Sold the Tactical, but both are very good pistols.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a $2,000 brick.  Cool to show off, but impractical as all hell.  The USP Tactical would be a much better buy, and you could buy the USP Tactical and a Deseart Eagle .50AE for the same price as the SOCOM.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are thinking SOCOM, think more like $3k - you would just have to get the KAC can and some of those "preban" 12 round mags. Why else have the gun? Try to handle one before you decide. As others said, it is big, very big. Wouldn't be a good civie carry piece. That being said, because it is so damn big, it is a soft shooter. 45 Super would be no problem.

I myself, like the Tactical better - big, but not as big. And half the price.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Own a USP and a USP Expert 45. I was in the same boat as you a while back. If your going to buy it for a shooter get the Expert. If this is going to bought on the check list of features of the Mk 23 get the Tactical.

I took the Expert 45 because of the sight radius and sights. (Tactical has that tent pole front sight to get over a can) Expert will put 8 rounds in the same hole at 25 yards!

In any case they all are great... just some are more practical for different things than others.

Different Strokes for Different Folks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top