Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2002 6:54:18 PM EDT
I've been thinking of getting a CWP for some time now and was just wanted to hear some opinions on the subject.

I live in FL---and it's easy to get one, but I really don't like giving the government any more info that I have to.  (I may just be paranoid, but I doubt it!!! ha ha ).

I have a very small amount of firearms, all private party sales (never really liked the idea of the yellow form).  

Do you guys think it's really worth it?
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Get it , get it ! I considering getting one from your state , its good in more states than mine .
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I've got a Drivers License, vehicle registration, voters registration, social security number, credit cards, DD214 and three occupational licenses. I think the government can get all the information it wants from them allready.

Adding the CWP allows me to...

Lets see............no 3 day wait to purchase a handgun from a FFL.

Can carry in public without worry of being arrested for a felony.

So to answer your Question ----YES
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Strap on your tin foil hat real tight and go for it.

You're lucky it's easy to get one where you live. In some states it can take over 9 months before you get approval.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Good points.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#5]
A) For:
    1. A legal way to carry
    2. A political act that makes a statement and excersise of your rights.

B) Against:

1. Tin foil crowd can chime in
    2. If you carry smartly, know one will ever know. If you do have a shooting - illegal carry will be the least of you worries.

My input - for your own sake and the preservation of gun rights - GET YOUR LICENSE
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#6]
The only bad thing about CWP's are that they really turn your RIGHT to bear arms into a PRIVILEGE, and that is total anti-second Amendment!  In other words, getting a CWP means you had to get special permission to carry a firearm, basically putting it on the same level as getting a driver's license, which is also considered a privilege and not a right.

It is these same important but overlooked basic principles that lead to more and more gun control and restrictions.  

"Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal." -U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno, December 1993

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#7]
You have no secrets!!

Don't walk, RUN DOWN and get your permit.

At least you will be able to protect yourself and your family if needed.

Would you rather let the government know that you have guns, or just defensive wounds and a toe tag???

I would recommend you do buy a papered carry gun though.

Permit or not, if the private sale weapon you carry is stolen, you are in big trouble.

Good luck on your desision.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#8]
It's more like, why shouldn't I get a Carry Permit?

The answer is you SHOULD!

Link Posted: 5/17/2002 1:05:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you do have a shooting - illegal carry will be the least of you worries.

I disagree strongly.

If you have a license, and the shooting is righteous - you will more than likely be no-billed and that will be that - here's your gun back - have a nice day.

If you have no license, you will more than likely go to trial, where the prosecutor will use your lack of a license against you any way he can.

Why make a bad situation worse?

Get your permit - now.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 1:18:39 AM EDT
[#10]
The only thing you are giving up that they might not have is your fingerprints.  If you have already been printed for one reason or another there is no reason not to get one.

That was my concern.  I talked to some friends in federal law enforcement (US Marshal and FBI) while trying to make the decision.  Now I have decided to go ahead and do it when I have the money.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you do have a shooting - illegal carry will be the least of you worries.

I disagree strongly.

If you have a license, and the shooting is righteous - you will more than likely be no-billed and that will be that - here's your gun back - have a nice day.

If you have no license, you will more than likely go to trial, where the prosecutor will use your lack of a license against you any way he can.

Why make a bad situation worse?

Get your permit - now.

While I understand what you are saying, if it is deemed a good shoot - the repercussions from the state will pale in comparisson to the wrongful death suit brought on by the relatives of the deceased. To that, there is no question.

One thing to consider and you should consult a criminal attorney on this matter is that not having a license may lend merit the relatives wrongful death suit - since you were not legally able to have a weapon on your person at the time anyway.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:21:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The only thing you are giving up that they might not have is your fingerprints.  If you have already been printed for one reason or another there is no reason not to get one.

That was my concern.  I talked to some friends in federal law enforcement (US Marshal and FBI) while trying to make the decision.  Now I have decided to go ahead and do it when I have the money.

Since I had been printed about 20 times before getting my license - what was one more to me?
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#13]
As a CCW instructor for Louisiana, I say get it, and with the reciprocity agreement you are welcome to carry here, as well as several other states.  Go to www.packing.org to see where else you may carry.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Absolutely. Get it as soon as possible. Only problems are: 1) You'll feel NAKED and VULNERABLE when you got to places that you can't "carry" into-i.e. bars, places that serve alcohol-which is pretty stupid, 'cause that's likely where you may need it the most.
2) You'll likely need to go out and get a new "carry" gun (oh no!)
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Joker223,
    I got mine 5 years ago at one of the Suncoast Gunshows. They provideded the class with fingerprint card, photo ID and walk you through the required paperwork. All you have to do is get a certified check for 117.00 and mail it to Tallahassee. Mine took 3 months to the DAY to get but the 5 guys I work with got theirs in from 6 to 8 weeks. Get it, you WON'T be sorry.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
As a CCW instructor for Louisiana, I say get it, and with the reciprocity agreement you are welcome to carry here, as well as several other states.  Go to www.packing.org to see where else you may carry.

www.packing.org

Thugbuster: Thanks for the link!!! I learned a lot about the law and my Pennsylvania pistol permit (they call it "License to Carry Firearms").
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#17]
The more people that legally carry concealed and aren't involved in any incidents involving any kind of malicious use of their firearms, makes legal gun owners look that much better in the statistics.

Is it worth it? Well, if you ever have to defend your life, you will definitely know if it was worth it. If you don't, that's even better yet, but still worth it, considering the other benefits like purchasing guns without the extended waiting period, etc.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I live in Philadelphia Pa, and I applied for a permit renewal back in October. It is now the middlw of May and I still do not have my permit to carry. The statute that allow for concealed carry states that a person is to be approve or denied within 30 days. Sh$t...It has been over 6 months...what a joke!!!!

Has anyone else in Philly experienced the same BS from this sh*thole of a town.

I am glad I am moving out to the burbs...

F*ck Them!!!@!
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I live in Philadelphia Pa, and I applied for a permit renewal back in October. It is now the middlw of May and I still do not have my permit to carry. The statute that allow for concealed carry states that a person is to be approve or denied within 30 days. Sh$t...It has been over 6 months...what a joke!!!!

Has anyone else in Philly experienced the same BS from this sh*thole of a town.

I am glad I am moving out to the burbs...

F*ck Them!!!@!

Damn! It's taken that long for a RENEWAL? Something must be wrong, or they lost the paperwork, or maybe it's really because you're in Philly. I renewed mine a month ago and it was a 15 minute deal. Walk into the sherrif's dedicated "Pistol Permit" room in the court house, submit old permit, get new picture taken, hand over $19, and walk out with shiney new permit. They even notified me by mail a month in advance that it was about to expire.
I live in York County - I kinda like it here.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for all of the info guys!!!!

There's a gunshow in Orlando this weekend with the classes and I think I'll go ahead and get it.

Then I'll get a new gun after I get it so "I'll know where it's been".
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#21]
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

I know you have made the correct decision!
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I have all of my paperwork filled out now-----just have to get a money order and put it in the mail!
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Go ahead and get it, and if you ever visit PA you'll be able to use your FL ccw in PA. They are reciprical with PA and KY I beleive. I know if I go to FL or KY my PA ccw is good in those two states.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Get it! I did the gun show walk through, and my CWP came in the mail this week just two days shy of two months from when I sent it in. I would strongly suggest using a registered firearm as your concealed weapon, would look better in court if it comes to that.

Even though other states honor our (FL) permit, you still have to abide by THEIR laws. These may be very different than ours so it is best to check with someone in law enforcement in that state.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, I will buy a new firearm to carry---definitely.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I've had my NV CCW since Nov of 2000, can't imagine life without it now
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 4:38:11 AM EDT
[#27]
ok---well-- thanks again everyone---you've all been a great help!!!!!

Now I need to go looking for a new toy at some of the local shops.  (just to get and idea of what I may get).

Link Posted: 5/19/2002 4:54:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Gus

No they didn't lose my app., they are sitting on it I'm sure. I went down wtth a friend to renew and he hasn't gotten his permit either.

I called one on the county seats outside of Philly and they told me the process was as you describe it. Man I hate this city!!! My wife and I combine for a 6 figure income and the assholes that run the place are going to lose our city wage tax dollars, because we are outta here!. Almost 5% of our money goes to this tax...for what? Absolutely nothing!!! Am I pissed...Yes!

I just went to the Philly PD's website and got the phone and fax #. I will give them a call tomorrow. I bet I won't get through to talk to anyone human, or close to human as they come.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Joker223,
    I got mine 5 years ago at one of the Suncoast Gunshows. They provideded the class with fingerprint card, photo ID and walk you through the required paperwork. All you have to do is get a certified check for 117.00 and mail it to Tallahassee. Mine took 3 months to the DAY to get but the 5 guys I work with got theirs in from 6 to 8 weeks. Get it, you WON'T be sorry.

Yes, definitely get it.  And, I'd add that the Suncoast shows are a great place to get the class and the permit paperwork.  The fellow who gives the course is great, an ex-cop.  

Also, if you would ordinarily be exempt from the course as a result of being in the military, take the course anyway.  I couldn't find my DD-214, so I took the course.  Learned a lot, especially the practical and legal aspects.  Military is one thing, civilian is another.  Take the course.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I recommend it highly. It was lack of a carry permit that got my brother killed in our shop, at least he would have had a chance with a firearm to defend himself against the scum who robbed and killed him. I tell all of my friends and family to get one while they still can, in fact my wife is applying next month after we save up some money. For me I would love to have a ccw, but I do have a few misdemeanors and that would make it impossible.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#31]
i don't feel the need for a gov't ok to exercise a right and i don't think that if/what/when i exercise my rights is the business of a gov't hack.

However,
there are no personal information secrets in todays world and the gov't has my prints/pics multiple times for pd, fd, gov't job applications (security clearance checks), private job apps requiring background checks and professional license apps to name a few.
if you purchase from a dealer they have personal info, and i have found some good deals at dealers that i did not want to pass up.
SO, since i decided that i was going to carry anyway and they already had more info on me than they ever needed, i opted to get the permit years ago.  i don't have the wait (5 days in PB county) when i buy from a dealer, i can carry in FL AND numerous other reciprocal states.
Other than providing more copies of info that the gov't already has several times over and feeling like my rights were violated because a gov't functionary required that info for the exercise of my rights, i haven't seen a down side.
if you are going to carry or you travel, DO IT.  The fight for 'paperless carry' can continue.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top