Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2002 2:41:58 PM EDT
I would like to know what the informed masses think of this:  I recently acquired a NIB Colt AR15 A2 Sporter II.  In addition to this rifle, I am trying to collect as many different Colts as I can, and thus far, the "crown jewels" of my collection (go easy on me...I'm just starting out ) are my Sporter II carbine and my M4gery that I built from a LE6922 upper assy, and a Sporter Match HBAR (blue label, blocked) lower; therefore, my "M4" lower says "Sporter Match HBAR".  Here's my question:  would it be foolish of me to take my unblocked, slab side "AR15 A2" marked lower and use that for my M4gery, or would you all strongly recommend against adulterating a NIB Sporter II ?(i.e., would this defeat the purpose of my "collection", or not?).  Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Cloak-

Edited to add, at the risk of overstating the obvious, I ask this question because, as my M4gery is probably my favorite piece, I am trying to make it as near to the real thing as possible with what I currently have on hand.  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#1]
The M4gery is exactly that; a forgery.
The stampings on the side of the receiver and the fact that it is blocked would'nt bother me.  Especially not enought to starting swapping receivers around. ....Unless you a specific need to use the unblocked receiver with your M4 upper.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Im new to the AR-15 thing, can someone tell me what a "blue label" or "blocked" means?
thanks
mike
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input, Boomholzer.  The only reason I considered switching lowers is, as I initially stated, just to make it as close to the real thing as possible.  I've no "need" for the unblocked lower, but rather it appeals to me for the same reason people selling unblocked lowers make sure to tell prospective buyers that it is unblocked: it's more the idea of having it than the necessity of it that that appeals to me.  I guess it's the coolness factor...just like how what's marked on the side of the receiver has no effect on overall performace/mission suitabiliy.  I just think "AR15 A2" looks better than "Sporter Match HBAR".  Strictly cosmetic.  

Shrike,  to the best of my admittedly limited knowledge, "blue label" refers to the later pre-ban Colt AR's (as opposed to the earlier Green label ones) that have a chunk of metal in the lower receiver behind the trigger group to prevent the use of M16 (selective fire) components.  It was Colt's politically correct pre-emptive strike to comply with anticipated firearms legislation.  Alot (???) of blue labels also lack a bayonet lug.  Those with more knowledge on this topic can elaborate better, but I think this is the basic gist.

Cloak-

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top