Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2002 7:21:25 AM EDT
I am wanting to purchase another post-ban Bushmaster XM15 in the next couple of weeks. It will definitely be in an A2 configuration, as I already have a pre-ban M4A3. It seems that the 20" rifles are scarce at the moment, so I have been thinking about the 16" dissipator. I like the fact that it looks like a 20" rifle, just without the extra barrel sticking out past the front sight. About the best deal that I have found so far is $715 NIB. Any members have opinions on this rifle? Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't let the handle fool you, I really love mine!

Seriously, mine is in the A2 configuration, and I am wishing I had gone A3.  Perhaps we can work something out if you want an A2.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I love mine. Plan on getting an A3 upper to have as well.

Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:09:27 AM EDT
[#3]
A1 or A2 Dissipators are great guns for iron sight use. A3 Dissipators are unnessecarily over heavy. A3's indicate at some point you'd get some optics for it. If you plan to use iron sights only, skip the flat top and just go for the fixed carry handle. If you DO plan on optics; Great idea, there are some extrordinary optics out there to use from dots to scopes.

In any case, if you are planning to go the A3/optics route, I would not get the Dissipator. The Dissipator is a great design, FOR IRON SIGHT USE. As you know it takes a carbine length barrel, but puts the full length handguards and sight radius. Like I said, great option for iron sight use. It is heavier than other carbines, but the advantage of the full length sight radius is worth it if iron sights will be your primary sighting system. If iron sights are going to be your primary sighting system, consider getting it with the Bushmaster A1 upper, it uses their simpler and lighter A1 sights. The A1 sights do not have elevation adjustments, which saves on weight. And really, when is the last time anyone adjusted the elevation on a general purpose rifle? If you like the elevation, thats cool too, just get the A2, it is slightly heavier than the A1, but both are lighter than the A3 with a carry handle. A3 with carry handle is the heaviest option...

Either way I would surely get the M4 Dissipator barrel. HBARs are really good for nothing on a general purpose rifle. All they do is add weight. Manufacturers love them and push them because they are the easiest to make (they require less machining). But HBARs stink IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to have a LEO Dissipator when I was with the local sheriff's dept.  When I left I sold it to one of my partners.  He got a sweetheart deal.  Almost cried.  The only gun that ever affected me that way.  I'll get another one as soon as I can afford it.  After the 2002 LEGP of course.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Great Price,  Great Gun...   I have one and a 20 inch also...   Love 'em both..
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#6]
" consider getting it with the Bushmaster A1 upper, it uses their simpler and lighter A1 sights. The A1 sights do not have elevation adjustments, which saves on weight. And really, when is the last time anyone adjusted the elevation on a general purpose rifle?"

What about using the 0-200 large hole apeture that's on A2 and not A1 sights for night use or CQB?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Hawkeye, WHAT is that on the sheet below the Bushy on your second photo? Actually, on second thought, I don't want to know!!

Link Posted: 2/16/2002 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hawkeye, WHAT is that on the sheet below the Bushy on your second photo? Actually, on second thought, I don't want to know!!

2 1/2 year old and a black marker. Need I say more?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#9]
M4Madness:

I have had an A3 fluted Dissipator for going on two years now.  

Of any AR I have or have had, it is my hands down favourite.

Portability is great and mine at least, is as accurate as any 20" H-Bar out there.

I have a Comp ML/2 mounted on mine at the present (sometimes I use a Trijicon Reflex II) and together either optic, along with an A.R.M.S. #40 combine with the Dissipator to make one very serious weapon that fills the bill for a myriad of tasks.

I am a bit perplexed though as to why New-ARguy says to forego the A3 if you plan to use optics.  (Weight?...????)

Optics use is the intention for the design of the A3 and the Dissipator is considerably more accurate than a typical carbine with lighter profile barrel.  Additionally, I strongly recommend the fluting ($50) as it aids in cooling and ridgidity while decreasing weight a bit.

The Dissipator will always be in my inventory.

Bought mine directly from Bushmaster and paid $785...........not bad for an A3 with fluting.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I love mine. Plan on getting an A3 upper to have as well.

Very nice looking brake Hawkeye1...is that from Kurt?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I love my post ban Dissipator, too, but I want to get a flat-top upper for it, as mentioned by several others here. I agree that the M4 Dissipator barrel would be the best choice, but it didn't exist when I got mine. I suppose I could have ordered the barrel fluted, but at the time a heavy barrel seemed like a good idea. Check it out:

Get one for yourself; regardless of which barrel you choose, I KNOW you'll be happy with it.

FITTER out
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Nope, Wilson Combat. VERY effective. Shoots like a dream. Have one on my A2 carbine as well.

I really personally dont see what all the fuss about weight is. I carried an M16 with an M203 in the Army. Lugged it all over creation. I loved it. The difference in weight between a heavy or light barrel, A1 or A2 sights, flat top or not, to me, is irrelevant. A pound or two is nothing. If we were talking 5 or 10 pounds difference in weight, then, it might be more of a consideration. I'll take a heavy barreled A2 or A3 setup Dissi (or carbine) any day of the week. The things arent THAT heavy. Maybe its just me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's a "CAR-15" Dissipator I bought off a guy.  He had the barrel turned down by KKF to lighten it up.  I like the full length handguards on a compact gun.

Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#14]

HBARs are really good for nothing on a general purpose rifle. All they do is add weight. Manufacturers love them and push them because they are the easiest to make (they require less machining). But HBARs stink IMHO.

I agree.  It's very frustrating to see so many of the AR15-type rifles on the market coming with HBARs.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#15]
  I have one and like it so much that I am building another in an A-3 conifg .
I will probably try a 42mm Simmons red dot on it .
 Anyone know if the 42 mm scope will clear the front sight ?

I have heard yes but just barley .
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:24:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks, guys! Chances are that I will get a Dissipator, unless a better deal comes along very soon. I will go with the A2 version, as I do not intend to add optics. The only problem is: My local dealer does not stock them, but priced me one. I have found one NIB for about $100 less, but need him to do the transfer. If I order the out-of-state one, it will cost me $755 (after shipping charge and transfer fee). The one ordered locally will be around $840 (after sales tax). Would you guys go to the trouble to save the $85 difference in price?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:34:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I personally just like getting one new from my dealer, but thats just me. I like to know that its fresh from the factory and no one else has played with it yet.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I personally just like getting one new from my dealer, but thats just me. I like to know that its fresh from the factory and no one else has played with it yet.

The out-of-state one is from a dealer also. I just don't know if it is worth pissing of my local FFL just to save $85.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Hmmm, true thought. I say give your local guy the buisness. Always good to have good relations with your local dealer, never know when you it might come in handy. $85 is a decent amount, but it would be different if ti was like $185.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#20]
AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!!!!!!!
The dissipator is the best.  You get the full length cycling mechanism which the AR was meant to have, with a 16 inch barrel.  The hand guard is easier to grab when going rapidly from a hanging-from-shoulder with barrel down position, to a shouldered and ready to fire - owing to the larger handle.  You try that with one of those shorty handled ones, and grab a hot barrel and you'll never forget it.  Thirdly, the longer handguard allows both a longer sight radius while allowing more options to rest the front of the rifle on support, in combat situations.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, fellow Dissipator owners, I am one of you now. I am the proud owner of a Bushmaster Dissipator w/AK brake. I originally wasn't looking to get one with a brake, but the deal presented itself. Besides, it does dress up the plain muzzle. This little gem will be my shooter, so my pre-ban can remain protected from the world in a dark corner of my safe.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#22]
:
This one will get the new "Phantom" suppressor and see the return of the 'real' telestock.
That BEC optic requires eyes on the scope type of eye relief...
I may mount the Kwik-Site carry handle base (see-thru) and have a different scope on it for fun at the range.  You know, one of those cheap, no good scopes.
Most of the use will be with open sights, as intended.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a BM Dissipator and had an OLY Eliminator. The BM was my favorite so I sold the OLY off to somebody here.

I then had the BM turned down to leight weight configuration and it has become my favorite AR.
I just can't decide if I like the tele stock or hard stock and keep switching back and forth.

A little side note, the BG's at the Bank of America babk robbery used a FA Dissipator.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top