Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/14/2002 8:58:13 AM EDT
I'm thinking about purchaseing a glock 19 soon (460$ at local gun store) , I don't really know much about them except the lower stuff is hard plastic. Are these guns as durable as any other normal auto pistol? Are they easy to clean and take care of?
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:06:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Glocks are very durable pistols, especially the 9mm models.  The lower loads on the slide and frame give the Glocks and excellent service life.  The plastic frame is extremely tough.  The flexibility of the frame allows it to take punishment at some aluminum framed pistols couldn't.

The G19 has been out there long enough that high-capacity magazines can be found very easily.  They're getting pricey, though.  10rnd mags are still pretty cheap at around $25 new.

Many consider the "safe action" trigger to be a drawback, but I really like mine (dropped to 3.5lbs), and I'm a SIG kinda guy.  This means NO SAFETY, so learning and understanding the pistol's action is critical.  Some people let the safety breed poor handling skills, anyway.

Glocks are easy to clean, although the nature of the action means the frame has a lot of little parts to worry about.  I'm not sure about the prices, but that sounds OK for a new pistol.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn't have one. HOLD IT!!!!! Maybe for a paper weight!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#3]
You can't go wrong with a Glock. I have a G19 and have also had a G26.
There will always be critics of any product, but with all of the PDs and gov. agencies using the Glock, I think that says a lot about them.
My G19 gobbles up whatever I run through it and I do not clean it that often.

FWIW

Lee
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I like both of my Glocks, 26 and 22.  I've never had a problem with either one of them.  They are extremely simple and easy to clean, takes about 3 minutes.  
Bill3508
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#6]
You either like em or you don't. I have four (G22, 23, 27, 30), and looking to get the fifth (G35). I like my pistol caliber to start with .4 so I am a Glock 40 type. I don't recommend them to the novice. The Safe Action trigger requires the shooter to pay attention all the time. As we shooters should anyway. It's just that a chambered, cocked and locked Glock can be unforgiving in the hands of a distracted user. You put your finger inside the the trigger guard and you better be wanting to shoot something. That's telling the Safety to go away. If you're going to keep your head out of your g-max all the time, you can't go wrong with a Glock.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Get a Beretta!

BKVic
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I love my 27, easy to clean and fun to shoot, accurate like no other .
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Get a Beretta! hr

Berettas are nice, but I can get a new glock 19 for 470$. Berettas are probally 550+. Also plan to get a concealed permit when I turn 21, and a glock 19 would make a nice concealed weapon.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I've heard if you trade a handgun in on another one you don't have to wait the 3 day waiting period, is this correct? Going to trade my S&W .357 in on this one.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#14]
To me, Glocks feel the best to shoot. The barrel axis is relatively low -- close to the hand, and I think this improves the shooting experience.

They are easy to strip and clean.

They are extremely reliable. I've shot 1000's of rounds with 0 failures-to-fire.

Pull the trigger, and Glock will shoot. This is good or bad, depending on who's holding the gun.

I've heard that they are durable. But one of mine broke after 6 weeks. A steel slide rail broke, not plastic.

The trigger-pull is long, squishy, and non-uniform.

They're ugly; but I like em.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I love my Glock 30.  It is my primary carry weapon.  It's got .45 power in a small package, yet has good mag capacity.  I find it very easy to shoot.  It is a very well balanced pistol.  I find it easier to control than my .40 Sig 229.  The Glock is easy to field strip and maintain, and I've NEVER had any jams or reliability issues.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I shoot both a G21 and G30 (I'm a .45 man).  I have shot a friends G17 as well.  All are excellent pistols.  The old grips (non-finger groove) are a little different, but easy to get used to with a little time.

They are very durable, and the finish is quite tough.  I only have two issues with the guns.  The grip took a little getting used to, as it was a little "fatter" than other pistols I had experience with (but I am quite used to it now).  Secondly, the trigger is a little uncomfortable to me after about 50 rounds (because of the safety mechanism that protrudes).  In fairness, though, I'm a lazy engineer with soft hands.

Great pistols.  I traded a Colt CCO for my G30, and would recommend them to anyone.

Ed

Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Glock 21. Like it a  lot better than my hammer, er, 1911. Less felt recoil, more rounds (15 + 1 with pre-ban mag and mag ex.), accessory rail, fits my hands better. What's not to like?
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#18]
G-19 for $470... as a carry piece... should I do it?

I have a G27 but will dump it the second HK makes something as small (doubt it will ever happen). It is the only Glock I own. I shoot IDPA - it is rife with Glocks. I considered a G34 but couldn't bring myself to do it. I bought a Beretta EII. I carry HK.

While I am a firm believer in HK, the price is out of hand. My only real issue with Glock is - no second strike.

Get the 19. For the money, it can not be beat.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#19]
my carry weapon is a glock19c with night sights and a NDF 15 rd mag with a +2 baseplate.
i consider myself VERY well armed with 18 rounds of very hot 9mm in a controllable package, carried in a fobus paddle holster.
i also carry a para-ord p13 .45, and sometimes a  centenniel, but i really like the glock.
glock triggers are different, but easy to adjust to. and they WILL go bang EVERY time.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#21]
what none of you pussies own/carry the 20/29 (10mm)? <G>

i'm not really a glock person, the only reason i own em is they are in 10mm. carry the 29.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#22]
To answer your question the best I can.

Do a search on www.google.com for Glock Kaboom.  That should help make your decision.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
my carry weapon is a glock19c with night sights.

If you don't mind my asking, why did you settle on the "C" model as a carry weapon?  That porting isn't exactly the best thing one can have on a defensive weapon!
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#24]
the reason glocks might go boom instead of bang is for two reasons. first is shooting lead out of the factory barrel. shoot too many rounds without cleaning it the barrel diameter gets smaller, guns goes boom. second is the barrels don't have a fully supported chamber, which i think causes most of the kabooms. if i take brand new starline brass, load it to true 10mm specs, the brass is ruined after the third reload, the brass looks like a pregent guppy. ordered a barsto barrel, now i can shoot lead and have no more pregent guppies.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I've got a Glock 26 that I've been trying to dump for about three years, bought it when I was young and didn't know any better.

Now, I wouldn't pay $10 for an entire shipping container full of them.

If you don't think an entire shipping container is worth $10, how about selling me that one of yours for that figure?

Failing that, if you're so desparate to get rid of it, have you tried advertising it on GlockTalk?
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You either like em or you don't.

This is true.  I have 9 of the suckers.  They go bang every time, last forever, and easily break down to 34 or 35 parts, depending on the model.  I see little not to like about 'em, but won't argue with the Sig or Beretta crowd, cause those guns are nice too.  Get the 19.

Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
To answer your question the best I can.

Do a search on www.google.com for Glock Kaboom.  That should help make your decision.

Sorry, a kB in a Glock is invariably the fault of the ammunition.  Either the owner was using non-jacketed lead bullets (SPECIFICALLY specified by Glock as a dengerous practice,) worn out brass, or double charged the ammo when he loaded it.

Care to point out any examples of Glock kBs occuring with factory loaded FMJ/JHP ammo?
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Glocks are simple and dependable......you'll either love it or hate it, I'll wager you'll love it

www.handguns.ar15.com
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Glocks are good carry guns. They are built well reliable and simple to operate.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Keep in mind that the original poster is looking at a model 19, and 9mm doesn't have  a kB problem.

It's mostly an issue with .40 S&W.

If you like the Glock get it but IMO you should compare it with a SIG P226 before you buy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
my carry weapon is a glock19c with night sights.

If you don't mind my asking, why did you settle on the "C" model as a carry weapon?  That porting isn't exactly the best thing one can have on a defensive weapon!

surprisingly enough, i have never had a problem with it, i have practiced frequently with my carry ammo in low light, and the blast/flash is not what you'd think, the lack of muzzle flip more than makes up for it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I own (3) Glocks, G22, G23, & G27.

Glock is the only one of my pistols I never had to work on or modify.  I still love to play with my 1911's, but the Glock's that I own gave 100% satifaction right out of the box.

OSA
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
what none of you pussies own/carry the 20/29 (10mm)? <G>

i'm not really a glock person, the only reason i own em is they are in 10mm. carry the 29.

Went with the 21 because ammo for the 10mm models is higher and not as readily available should the SHTF. On a budget.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#34]
had a g30. It kb'd on my father. Sold the scrap to a buddy who sent it to glock for replacement. Verified chamber failure on factory ammo. Is it a fluke. Maybe. But the non 9mm glocks seem to have this failure far to frequently. I won't bet my life on one again.

I replaced it with a SA ultra compact. much better feel and shooter. I would be comfortable with a glock in 9mm as that is what they were designed to fire. Anything else they make is junk in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
surprisingly enough, i have never had a problem with it, i have practiced frequently with my carry ammo in low light, and the blast/flash is not what you'd think, the lack of muzzle flip more than makes up for it.

The muzzle flash is mostly red light, so it shouldn't really impact your night vision.  The idea of having that flare appear inside my sight picture really bugs me though--and no, I've never tested that myself--if it works for you, I'm happy, and I'm glad to be wrong.

On the other hand, have you ever tried to fire it from a retention position?  I do know for a fact that this is, at best, HIGHLY uncomfortable, and at worst, leaves scars.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Go Sig
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The muzzle flash is mostly red light, so it shouldn't really impact your night vision.  The idea of having that flare appear inside my sight picture really bugs me though--and no, I've never tested that myself--if it works for you, I'm happy, and I'm glad to be wrong.

On the other hand, have you ever tried to fire it from a retention position?  I do know for a fact that this is, at best, HIGHLY uncomfortable, and at worst, leaves scars.

yes(don't laugh) i have.  it was kinda scary, but i figured it had to be done.  NOT COOL.  no burns or anything, but it blew gas into my chest and chin and was distracting to say the least, but i feel that if i had to in a stressfire situation, i could do it , no prob.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
had a g30. It kb'd on my father. Sold the scrap to a buddy who sent it to glock for replacement. Verified chamber failure on factory ammo. Is it a fluke. Maybe. But the non 9mm glocks seem to have this failure far to frequently. I won't bet my life on one again.

I replaced it with a SA ultra compact. much better feel and shooter. I would be comfortable with a glock in 9mm as that is what they were designed to fire. Anything else they make is junk in my opinion.

What did Glock say caused the failure?  What did the brass look like?  Was the ammo manufacturer at fault, or was it really a defective barrel?  Keep in mind that the G30 is currently Glock's fastest selling weapon--there ar elots of them out there, and that number is growing quickly.  Yours is the first instance I've heard of one kBing.

Also, while you can possibly make the point that the original Glocks were designed to fire 9mm (though the latest generation has been strengthened to properly handle .40/.357) the G30 wasn't designed to fire 9mm.  The wide framed glocks (G20/21, G29/30) were designed from the ground up to fire 10MM/.45ACP
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 3:38:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Well for me, I wouldn't have anything else ever again.

I have owned and shot multiple handguns, in various calibers. Glock has the best action and feel and reliability - HANDS DOWN!!!!

Accuracy is as good, if not better than any other auto loader out there. The last Glock I bought was from KYImports. She is a used Model 17 with Night Sights. This has been the most accurate and reliable handgun I have ever owned or shot - PERIOD!!!!

You can buy whatever you want, it is your life. I personally will never own anything else!!!!

DK
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#40]
You don't want to shoot lead in any of them. I have had all of the Glocks and several of the same model. I currently have the 20 and 31. I have never had a bad one. If you like em, they are the best. If you don't, no one can tell you different. The feel of a gun is important to the shooter. I think they are the winner of the low maintenance award in pistols.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a love hate relationship with my Glock 33.

I love how small and compact it is, and how it goes bang every time.

I hate how my hand hurts after putting 100 rounds of .357 Sig thru her.  For a wee little itty bitty gun, she packs a wallop!

Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#42]
In my opinion a Glock feels real good in the hand. I have a 22. A friend of mine had a long slide 22 and it blew up on him several times all with factory ammo. It would balloon out the back of the cases. I never had that problem with mine. When Ohio gets CCW soon I wouldn't be against carrying it.
CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#44]
I have two Glocks. The 21 and 23 models. I haven't encounter any problems with either or. However, I abused the 21 like hell. Drop it, washed it in water to get rid of the mud, and most important. Shot it!
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#45]
My 19 (gen 3) is awesome.  Hell of a lot of fun to shoot, and I'm getting damn good at keeping rapid double-taps at a defensive distance (within 25 feet) in close groups.  

The triggers take time getting used to, but once you find that reset (slowly let off the trigger until you notice that very distinct "click"), Glocks shoot very rapidly.

Get yourself a couple of factory pre-bans, but don't overlook the aftermarket Promags as well.  I'm really going against the grain here, but Promags can be made to work very well with new Wolff springs, though I must admit the two Promags I have, after breaking them in, worked suprisingly well with no modification.

Glocks can take a beating, but the .357 Sig models scare me.  Call me a wuss, but evey time I've shot one, it feels right on the border of blowing up on me--really high-pressure stuff.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I'm thinking about purchaseing a glock 19 soon (460$ at local gun store) , I don't really know much about them except the lower stuff is hard plastic. Are these guns as durable as any other normal auto pistol? Are they easy to clean and take care of?
Thanks guys

I've carried my 19 since 1988, and it has NEVER failed me. I love me Glock 19!
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Make me an offer I can't refuse Zak. We're both in TN.

What generation is it?  How many rounds thru it?  What kind of shape is it in?  I might be interested.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 5:24:31 AM EDT
[#48]
I've been turned into a Glock fan recently myself...

I thought about them 10 years ago, but never really liked them enough to try...

I've always been a Beretta guy, and have owned several of them...

Right now, I'm down to only one Beretta (96FS) and have 3 Glocks...
A 17, a 31, and a 34...
Also picked up one of the M-6 tactical light / laser gizmos...

Very intimidating combination with the Glock, Xenon flashlight, and laser all pointed at you...

Glockmeister.com has the M6 for $269 right now...Worth every penny...
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:05:27 AM EDT
[#49]
I carried one form or another of 1911 for over 20 years. Except for the first  9 months of my LEO career, all I ever carried was 1911s. My favorite was the original Commander (alloy frame), on duty as a detective and off duty all the time.

When my third (3rd) LW Commander frame cracked I was so ticked off I couldn't talk for a while without cursing. I could not bring myself to spend $1000+ on another custom gun to have it break in 5000-7000 rounds.

In my CCW classes the guns I saw students use without failure were Glocks. More and more I was running into old 1911 fans like me who were grudgingly admitting to carrying Glocks. I had one I used to demonstrate the model in my classes (a very used G17). Started playing around  with it and the ugly thing worked - all the time.

Now I carry Glocks (in 45 ACP or 40 Auto) and recommend them. They are ugly, the trigger is odd, and they don't fit everybody's hand. However they are probably the simplist, most effective (duribility and reliability) combat handgun now available.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#50]
You might want to check out used Glocks.  9mm Glocks are inexpensive and often come with 1, 2, or even 3 hicaps.

About a year ago I purchased a clean G17 with 3 hicaps for $400 from subguns.com.  G17's were not as popular with police, but there might be some cheap turn-ins out there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top