Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 6:43:58 AM EDT
I know in a Garand you can't just shoot any ammo or the op rod will cycle to fast and ruin the gun so you have to have ammo loaded to work with a garand.

How do you make sure you don't run into problems when you convert a Garand to a .308 Tanker?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a little more complicated than most think. It's not the speed of the op rod so much as using too fast or too slow a powder burn rate. To fast and the op rod slams back into a bolt that can't open because pressure has not dropped enough. Bending the op rod. Sort of[://.... That's this shooters understanding. Hopefully a more experienced hand will chime in and explain it with more detail. I stick with ammo safe for an M1A and don't worry too much about it. I load for my tanker as if I were loading for an M1A and only use 150 or 147 grain bullets. When I shoot factory I make sure it's Nato ball.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Since the barrel is shorter, the gas port is closer to the chamber, and the pressure will be higher.  Because of that, the gas port diamerter will need to be smaller than than that on a standard length barrel for whatever caliber it is made for.  Normally, the barrel manufacturor drills the proper sized hole in the barrel during the manufacturing process.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#5]
RAF touched on some important points. When considering a "Tanker" Mine was a wedding gift from my Father In Law. Having it rebuilt was a nearly year long process. With several pitfalls. Smiths that can perform this kind of conversion and have it run well. Are few and far between.To do over. I would just get a socom and call it good. And you won't be losing en bloc clips.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Put something like a Schuster adjustable gas plug on it and you can adjust for pretty much any factory or surplus ammo.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:57:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Converting an existing USGI Garand to a "tanker" or .308 is blasphemous and should be punishable by death.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:48:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since the barrel is shorter, the gas port is closer to the chamber, and the pressure will be higher.  Because of that, the gas port diamerter will need to be smaller than than that on a standard length barrel for whatever caliber it is made for.  Normally, the barrel manufacturor drills the proper sized hole in the barrel during the manufacturing process.

This is exactly right, except that the OP asked about a Tanker Garand, which conversion is much more involved.

If you can find a Tanker kit, all that is involved in building a Tanker is unscrewing the old barrel, and screwing on  and head spacing the new barrel.  Then doing a few minor tweaks with the op rod and the barrel band.  The new shorter barrel should already have the proper gas port drilled, though mistakes do happen.
If you are converting an exisitng barrel, then yes you have more to do.  You have to shorten the barrel, thread it, groove it for the gas cylinder, and drill a gas port.  I see quite a few of those barrels on GB and other places.  Barrels that had worn muzzles, shortened into Tankers.  You usually tell those.  They are the ones with the high Throat Wear measurement, and the low Muzzle Wear.  Plus, being made by "Winchester" or Beretta, IHC, etc.
Tankers have have their op rod spring in 2 lengths, depending on who is doing the conversion.  Those that use a spring 12" - 13" long and used a standard follower rod.  Then there are those who use a spring about 16" long and use a modified follower rod.  This mod removes the spring keep ears from the follower rod, and uses a blob of weld, or some other means to keep the spring in palce, placed about 1" from the bend in the follower rod.  This allows for a longer spring to be used.  This second version is how my kit came.
My Tanker started as a Rack Grade Woodless Dane CMP rifle with all metal parts, but lacking the wood.  It had a muzzle that would swallow a gauge.  I think it went down to about an 8 on the Muzzle.  So, there was no harm done.  Anytime I want to restore it to a full sized Garand, all I have to do, is unscrew the barrel, and then install and headspace a new barrel.  Which takes about 30 minutes.
If you are looking at an existing Tanker. look closely at the receiver and barrel. Back when Garands were hard to come by, many people would take two halves of a demilled (cut apart) Garand receiver and weld them back together.  On most guns, these rebuilds(called rewelds) are fairly obvious by the mismatched machine marks in the middle of the receiver.   Also, look closely at the barrel.  Again, due to the lack of Garand barrels, people would take 1903 Springfield barrels, and reprofile them to a Garand barrel shape, and turn down the receiver end.  They would then take a worn Garand barrel, cut if off in front of the first step(tapered one in front of the chamber), ream the left over stub,  and instal(silver solder) the converted 1903 barrel.  These are a little harder to detect,  But you can often find a seam on the first step where the two pieces were put togethe.  Plus many of the barrels are two groove barrels, which were supposedly never installed on Garands.
My Tanker as it is now, with a cut down repro T-37 flash hider.

My Tanker with an interesting stock, and my brother's 30-06 in a folding stock.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:00:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Tankers are a tough build. Mine started out as a stripped rec.That cost$100 from the CMP.I got a citadell tanker barrel and an op rod from sarco.I got luckey on the build op rod worked perfect!!I like the t 26 look.If you have never shot a tanker you don't know what you are missing! My friend has a socom m1a it is lighter but not by much.They are equal on accuracy part.I prefer the tanker though it just looks better.Yes the socom is a afaster reload.I love my tanker its short and sweet to shoot! If you get the chance to shoot one you will want one!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Converting an existing USGI Garand to a "tanker" or .308 is blasphemous and should be punishable by death.

Oh shit, I'm a dead manz walking...!

Did my first Short 23yr's ago. Current build is in 8mm Mauser. Next one is mag fed 7.62x39mm.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh shit, I'm a dead manz walking...!

Did my first Short 23yr's ago. Current build is in 8mm Mauser. Next one is mag fed 7.62x39mm.

You are just lucky that my AR50 doesn't quite have that range.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#13]

...!

ETA ––––––––––- If it will help with atonement –––––––––––––––– I've got a Arlington "Tanker" with a Winchester receiver that I got around 1990 that I've never shot.

I've been thinking of changing it back to "stock" all Winchester. The only part I'm down is a Win mfg barrel...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top