Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2012 3:26:27 PM EDT
I have a Springfield Armory National Match M1A that I bought in 1989 or 1990 and then just stashed in the back of the safe.  I pulled it out the other day and oiled it up. It has some GI parts including a TRW bolt. The barrel is marked GENESEO IL. Are these older SA barrels desirable and what kind of accuracy should I expect?

Thanks.

ETA: Fixed Subject
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a Springfield Armory National Match M1A that I bought in 1989 or 1990 and then just stashed in the back of the safe.  I pulled it out the other day and oiled it up. It has some GI parts including a TRW bolt. The barrel is marked GENESEO IL. Are these older SA barrels desirable and what kind of accuracy should I expect?

Thanks.

It is a commercial barrel so there is not collector value I am aware of.

It should shoot well.  The ones I have owned get close to 1" at 100 yards. I have found the rifle will usually outshoot the shooter in most cases.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
There is some demand for older guns since a lot of the internals , bolts etc are GI
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:15:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a SAI M1A that was made in 1996. It's what they would have considered a Loaded model but it was made a year before the Loaded was available. It is all GI parts except the medium NM barrel and will shoot 1" groups with match ammo all day.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:54:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Is the barrel a medium profile?  Many of the early SAI's came with a Wilson 6 groove NM med profile barrel.  They have "GENESEO IL" and "NM" stamped on them.

My 1980 Wilson is capable of sub moa with match grade reloads.  It's 2moa+/- with surplus ammo.  This rifle has a SAI bolt and op-rod.  It has had the same excellent reliability as my GI rifle.

My 1989 all TRW rifle with a HR barrel holds about the same with surplus and can get close to 1.5moa with match, but not consistently.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the feedback - time to take it out and see how it shoots.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top