Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2013 1:24:47 PM EST
My parents bought me a Marlin Model 60 when I turned 15. My father had a Browning Take Down 22LR, and together we put many a hole in Coke cans and pie plates in the woods. Good time with the old man. Later that year a fun show came to town and I convinced my mom to go with me and talked her into buying me an Inland M1 (Blue Sky) Carbine for $150 bucks. The Marlin took a back seat to my new found love of Military Arms and hasn't been shot since.

Fast forward a few years, I am now on the Southern end of 40 years old and many a gun later I had the notion, from just gettin back from the folks some 13 hours drive from here and out came the Marlin. I had to re-introduce myself to it, not being totally foreign but just unfamiliar . What a blast I had shooting that gun again. I only wish the old man was with me to enjoy it..

I did pick up a $30 Bushnell scope from Wally World that made my experience a bit better, actually once I had it on zero at 50 yards I was pleased to see the bull get eroded with every trigger pull telling me that I was missing out on some fun for a long while.

My mom and dad will be down to my place in a short 3 months, and I now have his Browning, but I can't wait until I get him out to the Range in Indian River to re-introduce him to his Browning Take Down and my new old friend, my Marlin Model 60.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:32:29 PM EST
Great story
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:22:44 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:24:09 PM EST
My first rifle was a model 60 my mom bought for me with my money. I sold it when I bought my first 10/22. A few years ago I bought a 75c, which is a shorter handier version. I absolutely love that rifle. DIP industries has new triggers for it. I used the trigger job tips on rimfirecentral to get the trigger down to 3 lbs. If it's a great shooter. I love the tech sights I bought for it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:48:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 2:52:19 PM EST by Monkeysuncle69]
As much as I would hate to loose the Browning, I just got off the phone with my dad and he was telling me of a coyote problem they may have. There has been a couple of deer kills in their area,( and they like to feed deer, not shoot them) Problem is my mom has little yapper dogs, 3 of them. I told my dad they are asking for trouble. The last phone call I want to get is my mom crying about her dog getting drug off into the woods by a coyote,it would break her heart.
I am thinking of returning the Browning to him with a box of hollow points to keep handy, for the just in case. The Browning is more than accurate, his eyes are good, they are in county property, is that enough gun, or should I talk him into something else?

My first thought was 22 Mag bolt action
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:41:31 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Monkeysuncle69:
As much as I would hate to loose the Browning, I just got off the phone with my dad and he was telling me of a coyote problem they may have. There has been a couple of deer kills in their area,( and they like to feed deer, not shoot them) Problem is my mom has little yapper dogs, 3 of them. I told my dad they are asking for trouble. The last phone call I want to get is my mom crying about her dog getting drug off into the woods by a coyote,it would break her heart.
I am thinking of returning the Browning to him with a box of hollow points to keep handy, for the just in case. The Browning is more than accurate, his eyes are good, they are in county property, is that enough gun, or should I talk him into something else?

My first thought was 22 Mag bolt action
View Quote

.22mag will suffice with a good shot, but I would go with .223/5,56.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:11:41 AM EST
I still have the first rifle my dad gave me when I was 10 -11yrs old (40+ years ago). It is a Mossberg 340KC in .22lr. As I recall, he paid a whopping $38.00 for it back then. It has traveled many a mile with me and has taken it's fair share of rabbits and squirrels. When I got older, it was relegated to the safe when I discovered the Ruger 10/22.

I have since given my daughter the 10/22, got the old Mossberg out of the safe and have shot it quite a bit now that I am retired. It has gone though a few scope changes over the years. Now it has a BSA 6x18x40 AO scope with BKL "Off-set" mounts and this set up seems to work pretty well out to 100 yards.

Top Top