Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2002 6:28:01 PM EDT
Anyone collect old military rifles. The new SGN has the Swiss K31 straight pull back for $109. Anyone have one? They are suppossed to be worth the price in workmanship....
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The Swiss K31's are a work of weapons art.  Their design is a straight pull bolt (not turn bolt) in a unique and relatively expensive 7.5 Swiss loading.  Several distributors and many local shops have these anywhere from $100 up to about $250 depending on condition.

These were assigned to the Swiss militia and surplused when StG57's replaced them.  In many rifles you can still find the owner's name and address on a piece of paper in the buttstock.  

They're beautifully made (remember SIG is Swiss) and a unique piece.

Link Posted: 3/16/2002 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a vague recollection that extra magazines for this rifle are very expensive.  As long as you get a decent one to begin with, you should be OK.  (I’m fairly certain it’s designed to be reloaded with stripper clips anyway.)

Norma is the only outfit I know of that makes ammo for it.  If you’re planning on shooting it much, you’ll probably want to reload.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 1911 Karbine, which is similar to the K31.  The K31 is a better gun in that they moved the locking lugs forward, and shortened the receiver by doing so.  Other than that, they are pretty much the same.  The straight pull is pretty cool.  It takes some getting used to, but it works great once you've got it down.  The big knob and the huge safety ring are easy to operate, even with winter gloves on.  The magazine is detatchable, but it is designed to be loaded with stripper clips, not by swapping mags.  Typical Swiss high-quality.  It works great and shoots great.  Ammo was too expensvie, but they're bringing in surplus stuff with the rifles.  It's still not cheap, but a lower price than the Norma fodder.

If you're into old miiltary rifles, I'd recommend you get a K31.  They are certainly different, and they are fun to shoot.  The K31's that I have seen are in VERY nice condition.  I mean they are far better than most of the run-of-the-mill surplus guns.  I've seen various prices and conditions available, so I assume you get what you pay for.  Try to get the best one you can afford.  It will be worth it.  

Ross
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to the forum on Swissrifles.com  The have several reports of 1 moa rifles and 3-4 lbs triggers.  I just ordered two K31's myself.  Brass is the big issue.  Norma is very expensense but there is some Portugese stuff floating around.  .284 winchester can be used as could the new Hornaday and Laupa 6.5/284.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 6:50:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I have to agree with Raf on this one.  If you are buying for collector appeal then by all means proceed.  If you are looking for shooter I would suggest the Yugo M48A.  I have one of these and absolutely love it.  Another good choice would be the Mosins.  Both offer a ready supply of spare parts and economical and readily available ammo.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#7]
The K31 is on my MUST get list....

The ones I have seen are BEAUTIFUL!!

I also want to get a Canadian Ross so I will have all the military Straight Pulls ( I already have a M95).

Mind you I recall something of a Winchester or Remington NAVY striaght pull but I do not have any details on it.

I would really like to write a gun mag article on the subject some day......
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top