Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2017 8:37:32 PM EDT
I just picked up a sporterized Remington M1917 in .300 H&H Magnum.  Allegedly.  

The only markings on the barrel are the "JA" above the flaming bomb at the muzzle.  

The rear sight ears have been milled away and it is now wearing a Pachmyr tipoff scope mount.

The removal is totally top notch.  Like they were never even there.  

The bolt handle does appear to be brazed so l presume it was reprofiled to clear a scope.

The receiver appears to be drilled for a side mounted aperture sight.  

The receiver markings are;

U.S.
MODEL OF 1917
REMINGTON

The markings are all crisp and deep wirh no machine marks where the sight ears were. I could believe it left Remington this way,  it looks so good.

Plus the serial number is above what, rather limited, searching live done for military issued rifles.  

So is this a post contact build but pre - model 30 rifle?

Btw,  it passes the bullet test with flying colors.

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a "bubba" (Ruined)  JA barrel 1917 that someone reamed out the chamber to .300 H&H.  Zero historical value, just what you agree to buy it for.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay.  That's pretty much what l expected but my initial search on the serial number through me a loop.  

I paid $320 out the door for it.  I figured it would make a classy elk rifle.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Not anywhere close to original of course but it appears to be well done and is clean.  I'm expecting it will be a good shooter.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe it's just me, but I don't consider what you have to be "Bubba'd".  Sporters that are well done, generally from the 50's - 70's, can be extremely nice.  And while they truly have destroyed their military collectability, can be wonderful rifles.  In that era, it was often cheaper to sporterize than to buy a factory rifle; and they often were better shooters.  Today, you can buy a factory rifle that will shoot 1-2 MOA, with a scope for under $400, sometimes a lot less.  (I just bought a TC .243 for $220 after rebate)

I'd enjoy the hell out of that rifle.

To me, Bubba'd rifles are not well done, AND have had their military collectability ruined.  That's my definition.  Other's may vary.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#6]
A lot of 17's got re-chambered into magnum calibers.  It's a brute of a action that can stand just about anything.  That one appears to be well done.  Interesting rig.

Back in the day 17's were common, cheap and not really valued as collectors.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#7]
You have to expect some grief when posting a sporterized rifle on a C&R forum. Kind of goes against the forums purpose.

That said you have a nicely done rifle. I almost bought its twin a few years ago. I'm still looking for the perfect 7 mauser.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Well of course l expected a bit of grief but this did start out as a military arm and is still a C&R gun.  So what better place to get an actual id on it?

Btw, the Remington Model 600 in .308 l passed on two weekends ago was a C&R gun too.  I went back the next day and it was gone.  $299.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm fine with well done sporters from that era.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:18:22 AM EDT
[#12]
If there is any doubt, you might want to do chamber cast.  If it's not marked, it might be one of several .300 magnums.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If there is any doubt, you might want to do chamber cast.  If it's not marked, it might be one of several .300 magnums.
View Quote
Exactly.  I have some cerro-safe in my Brownell's wish list.  Will get it ordered in a couple weeks or so.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:18:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm so tired of hearing people whine about sporterized military guns.    Get over it people.   If you didn't live back then (or weren't adults), you've got no business judging what they did.  

Anyways........  

Very cool rifle.  

Here's my Step Dad's Mauser he bought way back in the 60's:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top