Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2015 11:53:50 PM EDT
Funny shit that I heard today on Facebook:  
So . . Until it a pop bottle thread adapter or oil filter adapter is assembled to use as a silencer, it is unregulated and legal. Therefore, a solvent trap is a solvent trap and unregulated until you have the intent to use it as a silencer (AKA posting a youtube video or some other evidence where you say you are going to use it as a silencer) or until you shoot through it, making it a silencer. Comments from 'ar15.com
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:08:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I read recently about gun shows selling these as solvent traps
everyone knew what they were but unless we are all guilty until proven innocent I see no harm in owning one if you used it to trap solvents when cleaning

but you never know if someone else will attach it on your rifle to set you up so probably not to wise keeping one around

maybe if you could put a pad lock through the hole or something and keep it with the cleaning kit
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:16:46 AM EDT
[#2]
What is funny is BATFE banned solvent traps in the 80s when they drained into a soft drink container, but when it drains into a oil filter, it is OK.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:09:06 AM EDT
[#3]
well an oil filter is a more legit way to capture oils then a soda bottle

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:52:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is funny is BATFE banned solvent traps in the 80s when they drained into a soft drink container, but when it drains into a oil filter, it is OK.
View Quote

The problem is that you have assembled  working suppressor and attached it to a firearm.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The problem is that you have assembled  working suppressor and attached it to a firearm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so if you attach a bundle of thick rags to catch oil mess, isnt that a suppressor too
all it has to do is work one time to lower db
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In both cases yes. But one is a illegal and the other is not.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts.

The fact is that possession of a thread adapter, oil filter and threaded firearm is possesion of an unregistered silencer.  Assembling these components into a firearm constitutes the making of a working silencer. The problem is that once you assemble a threaded adapter onto a rifle and thread on an oil filter or a pop bottle, you have assembled an unregistered sIlencer.  

That is simple fact. If it is seized and sent to the ATFs tech branch.  Tech branch will test it.  In Fact . . They will test the device in every possible way until it actually reduces the report of the firearm.  They will determine that the adapter snd oil filter/pop bottle is in fact a silencer.  

That determination will be reported to the atf agent who will then decide whether to refer it to an AUSA or if it's local law enforcevent . . To the County district attorney. Then, that agent and the prosecuutor will look at the facts surrounding the seizure of THE SILENCER.   The fact is, you have manufactured a silencer.  You have manufactured and were in possession of a device that reduces the report of a firearm.  

Now the agent/police officer look into intent.  . . . . Maybe.  If they look into intent before filing the charge.  You might get away without a criminal charge.  Assuming that you had a pop bottle on the end of the weapon.   Here is a nuance that ronnie  and I discussed and he noted.   Pop bottlE . . . Used to see if the Solvent is clean.  Therefore clear bottle lets the builder of the silencer see that barrel is clean.    Probably going to be hard to prove intent to possess a silencer.    

However.  How do you see if the solvent coming out of the barrel is clean with an oil filter?  Or an opaque plastic bottle?  Well there is a problem and intent can be inferred.  So, at this point if the age t/leo LEO pushes the charges up to the prosecutor  . . And the prosecutor takes them, you get charged, arrested, have to make bail, and hire me or another attorney.  

After you pay your defense attorney several thousand dollars, I go down and argue intent.  I show the prosecutor pictures of your cleaning bench and your collection of oil filters and cleaning rods.   Etc.   Maybe the prosecutor dismisses . .maybe he Doesn't.   If the charge is not dismissed.   We have a Trial.  ATF Sends Tech branch and the agent from tech branch testifies it is a silencer.   The prosecutor tells the jury its a silencer. You probably have to get on the stand and testify that it's a cleaning tool and not a silencer.  And that you didn't intend it to be a silencer. . . Etc.      

Those documents people love to screen shot . .  . . They probably don't get to the jury at all.   There's this little thing called then hearsay rule.   Atf is famous for not responding to subpoenas and the fact is that silly letter that you screenshoted only applies to that seller.   Not to you so it probably never gets in front of a jury.  Therefore, I still say that it's illegal to posses the oil filter and thread adapter and put it on a firearm.  that is making a working, unregistered silencer.   Practically speaking.  You will probably never be prosecuted for that possession or making . . . . But the law, as stated by congress and implemented BY THE  ATF says that making a silencer and possessing a silencer is illegal and possession of these parts and installation of these parts is possession of a silencer and that silencer is unregistered and therefore illegal.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe I'm completely off base.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#9]
this is an interesting topic since i have been asked about the oil filter adapters and also the mag lite solvent trap, i just tell guys not a good idea to posses em without the suppressor permit, i did notice there is a company selling the oil adapters with s/n as suppressor that needs registration
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
this is an interesting topic since i have been asked about the oil filter adapters and also the mag lite solvent trap, i just tell guys not a good idea to posses em without the suppressor permit, i did notice there is a company selling the oil adapters with s/n as suppressor that needs registration
View Quote

What's a "Suppressor Permit?"
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#11]
you know what i mean the atf paperwork to buy or build it
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

So the Class 3 license?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#13]
form 1, plan to do this in the next few months to use on my sbr that has a tax stamp
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So the Class 3 license?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the Class 3 license?

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#15]
yeah i know you guys are screwin with me
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
yeah i know you guys are screwin with me
View Quote

There is quite a common misconception, even among gun folks, that an actual 'permit' is required to make and own suppressors and other NFA items.  It's not their fault.  There is lots of misinformation going around.  The most annoying misconception is, "Aren't those illegal".  I tell you, virtually every range trip somebody asks if I have a 'permit' for those things.  I tell them, "No," and then I have a short speech explaining how the process works.  NOBODY gets to see my paperwork except the BATFE or the judge.  Why?  Cuz' MERICA!  The terminology is fairly simple, but it's really easy to tell the laymen from those of us who suffer from the addiction.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:50:38 PM EDT
[#17]
yeah well i am an armorer at a large training facility for govt contractors so i play with the fun toys all day every day( gets old) when guys ask me things i try to keep it simple, if they want actual info i am happy to assist them any way i can, btw we have an 07 sot  and class 3 ffl (yes both), just wish i was alowed to buy stuff through work, dealer prices are cheap, i also was a cop in the area so all the leos know me and they frequent our facility quite a bit for free, they also know if i have it i am legal to have it and have done the paperwork     hoping to get finances in order soon so i can give uncle sam another $200 beans, and build a can for me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top