Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2008 11:12:14 AM EDT
Several years ago I purchased an Oehler 35 Chronograph.  Of course I was being cheap at the time and didn't order the printer to go with it.  Later did I realize that the printer really would be as handy as everyone says it is.  I can't get the printer from Oehler now but I heard that a certain model of Casio printing calculator can be hacked to function as a printer.

Does anyone know which calculator is needed and how you hook the two up?  I know this is kinda a long shot but somebody has got to know.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you call the good folks at Oehler? I would start with them and see what they can tell me.

A quick google search turned up 1 item:

http://yarchive.net/gun/ammo/chronographs.html
You can get the Oehler for $225 without the printer and wire up a
particular Casio printing calculator to it for about $25 more if you
want to be cheap.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't tried getting a hold of someone at Oehler but I think I will give that a try.  

The info you found on google is all I've been able to find up to this point.

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Oehler has stopped making hobby chronographs, but say they will continue with parts.  You might get lucky.
Ken Oehler is retiring and wants (or is) to sell the business.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#4]
So I emailed Oehler and this is what I got back:

"It's true that we can cannibalize the mechanism from a Casio calculator to replace the mechanism used in the M35P, but it also requires the molded plastic housing to hold the mechanism on top of the unit.  We have no more of the housings, and can't realistically offer to do the addition.  We envision trying to add the printer without having the special housing as being either extremely labor intensive, or a real kluge job.  We have used the Casio HR8TM, but I urge you not to try the conversion yourself.

Ken O"

Sounds like it is no trivial thing to do.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#5]
That's too bad.  You got me to thinking that I should buy a printer for my Oehler 35P if they had any left in stock.  At the time, like you, I felt lucky just to afford the chronograph and felt I could live without the printer.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:24:14 AM EDT
[#6]
jessman, sorry that route didn't pan out. Try posting on as many forums as possible and maybe someone will have a solution. I originally ordered my Oehler 35 w/o printer. It didn't take long to see how valuable it would be so I ordered and installed it. In retrospect, its one of the smarter things I've done
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I think I'll take your advice and try posting my question some other places and see what I can turn up.

Thanks for your help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top