Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2006 3:35:00 PM EDT
I'm looking for a reasonable 20ga (only!) O&U for under $1000, NIB. I've looked at the new Mossburgs & the Turkish guns don't impress me much. I've seen pics of the new Marlin/LC Smith guns & they appear to look good & they're eye-talian made, which is good, IMO.

While I wouldn't be against buying a Red Label or another Beretta, but these are now all over $1000, it seems.

I have cruised thru the CDNN catalog & a couple of others, nothing really jumps out at me.

Anyone have some suggestions for a decent 20ga?????
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#1]
You might want to just shop around.  I've seen new Ruger Red Labels go for around $800 or so.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#2]
If you intend to shoot the gun alot I'd stay away from the LC's and Rugers, the felt recoil is pretty sharp compared to a Browning Citori or even a Beretta. If you look around a Browning can be had for around a grand. The action of the Browning is pretty much a bank vault, very strong and will last tens of thousands of rounds before a rebuild. Most have screw in chokes but some older guns are fixed. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you intend to shoot the gun alot I'd stay away from the LC's and Rugers, the felt recoil is pretty sharp compared to a Browning Citori or even a Beretta.

Well, a 20ga is why I'm looking to drop the felt recoil. No, I won't shoot it a lot, maybe 3-4 times a year, max.

Looks like I'll keep shopping..........................

Thanks for the replies, BTW.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Bob, 20ga is definitely lighter shooting than a 12 but smaller frame sub gauges weigh sometimes a lot less than a 12ga frame and felt recoil may be the same (or nearly so). I shoot sporting clays twice a week and I shoot mostly Beretta M390's both in 12 and 20. I can hardly feel a difference in recoil between the two guns. Again, my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Bob, 20ga is definitely lighter shooting than a 12 but smaller frame sub gauges weigh sometimes a lot less than a 12ga frame and felt recoil may be the same (or nearly so).

While not disagreeing with your logic, I think the starting factor of lighter recoil in the 20 may outweigh the lighter 20's weight. I may not be explaining it correctly, but I'm hoping for less beating.  

I shopped Bass Pro today, the cheapest they had was a Red Label at a mere $1200!    

Looks like a used 20 may be my best bet????????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top