Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2016 9:58:12 PM EST
With 41P looming ominously I decided to buy another suppresor. My other 4 are SiCo and I wanted to make a splash with what will probably be my last NFA hurrah for the next half decade.
A local company deals heavily with OSS, runs them HEAVILY on full auto platforms day in and day out, and after a few weeks of googling and coin flipping I had them order me one. There is not much "hands on" information about OSS suppressors on the internet, and I believe this is simply because they are cost restrictive to most people. By my estimation they have an intriguing design, and the guys down the road from me here have had nothing but good things to say about them.
But I want to know what I can expect from people like myself who maybe put down some cheddar to get an OSS system.
I ordered the BPRM1-15 and SRM-6 in 7.62, so it's a beast. 13.25 total inches in length. And here I thought my Specwar 7.62 was going to be the only fat chick in my safe.
Anything a future owner should know about managing wear and tear or pro's and con's of ownership? All experience is appreciated.

Oh, and first post.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:08:53 PM EST
I hope it meets your expectations. Oh, and cost has nothing to do with it if it will prove itself as better than the market leaders right now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:41:14 PM EST
I actually was really close to ordering one on a sale from QRF here recently but the diameter and the 5" minimum space forward of the gas block were what stopped me. The deal they were on was too good to pass up otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:05:35 AM EST
Just an FYI, if you go to page 2 there is a 4 page thread on them with lots of comments from the company.
Welcome
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 8:49:30 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jparish62:
I actually was really close to ordering one on a sale from QRF here recently but the diameter and the 5" minimum space forward of the gas block were what stopped me. The deal they were on was too good to pass up otherwise.
View Quote

There isn't a 5" minimum space forward of the gas block requirement. If you check the other thread about OSS cans you will see a few different models and pictures as well. The diameter is definitely a consideration though. I have found it fits well inside the mcsr rails from seekins but I haven't looked at others. Anything with a 1.8" id will work. I bought my 556 for under 500 and my 762 version for under 700.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 9:16:16 AM EST
Originally Posted By gamerc:

There isn't a 5" minimum space forward of the gas block requirement. If you check the other thread about OSS cans you will see a few different models and pictures as well. The diameter is definitely a consideration though. I have found it fits well inside the mcsr rails from seekins but I haven't looked at others. Anything with a 1.8" id will work. I bought my 556 for under 500 and my 762 version for under 700.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I spoke with the guys at quiet riot and for the model I was looking at getting, there is. It's an OTB model. For under $500 it was tempting
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 9:15:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/19/2016 9:17:09 PM EST by Darkamek]
I just bought one from Quiet Riot. They seem to have one 5.56 can and one 7.62 left in stock. At the prices they are blowing them out at it make me wonder what the markup is on these. Either they are loosing money and just want rid of them, close out pricing from OSS or they are marked up considerably.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 9:39:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By Darkamek:
I just bought one from Quiet Riot. They seem to have one 5.56 can and one 7.62 left in stock. At the prices they are blowing them out at it make me wonder what the markup is on these. Either they are loosing money and just want rid of them, close out pricing from OSS or they are marked up considerably.
View Quote

When you consider mark up on guns is around 10% on average maybe, other high priced items are probably close to the same. With msrp around $1500, I'm betting they are taking the loss.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 9:57:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/19/2016 10:31:29 PM EST by SilenceThis]
Thanks for the input everyone. I read the other thread and it seems the consensus over there is that nobody really had one so nobody really knows much more than speculation. Although it does seem like some people are convinced that OSS technology and designs are not, is not, could not, can not be better than a traditional baffle design. That surprises me.
I thought more people would see the OSS systems the way I see them: a suppressor system that gives the user something that no other mainstream suppressor gives. Some people chase decibels. I am the type of user that doesn't buy* a can unless it is for a specific rifle with a specific purpose. The OSS I ordered is going to be exclusive to a 20" Shilen 223 Wylde, and a 22" .308 of yet to be determined origins.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 10:03:18 PM EST
The markup on cans is considerable.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 10:25:26 PM EST

When you consider mark up on guns is around 10% on average maybe, other high priced items are probably close to the same. With msrp around $1500, I'm betting they are taking the loss.
View All Quotes

I bet it's a loss at $449 but my bet is cans are like most other gun "accessories" and there's sizable markup
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 10:26:51 PM EST
Originally Posted By SilenceThis:
Thanks for the input everyone. I read the other thread and it seems the consensus over there is that nobody really had one so nobody really knows much more than speculation. Although it does seem like some people are convinced that OSS technology and designs are not, is not, could not, can not be better than a traditional baffle design. That surprises me.
I thought more people would see the OSS systems the way I see them: a suppressor system that gives the user something that no other mainstream suppressor gives. Some people chase decibels. I am the type of user that doesn't but a can unless it is for a specific rifle with a specific purpose. The OSS I ordered is going to be exclusive to a 20" Shilen 223 Wylde, and a 22" .308 of yet to be determined origins.
View Quote

The only reason I'm considering one is for a dedicated platform, and it would be my 4th 556 can
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 12:03:12 AM EST
I thought more people would see the OSS systems the way I see them: a suppressor system that gives the user something that no other mainstream suppressor gives. Some people chase decibels. I am the type of user that doesn't buy* a can unless it is for a specific rifle with a specific purpose. The OSS I ordered is going to be exclusive to a 20" Shilen 223 Wylde, and a 22" .308 of yet to be determined origins.
View Quote

I think most do see it they way you do, but they can't justify the cost increase over traditional cans for what this one offers. As one of the guys in the other thread put it: I'm glad to see someone doing something different, but I don't want to own one yet. I think the technology for this design needs to go a bit further and mfg practices need to be refined as well to get the cost down to a competitive level.

For me personally, it was a clearance issue both with the rail ID and the OTB space needed from the muzzle to the gas block. I think that at this point OSS needs to figure out a way to either A: reduce the OD of their cans closer to the industry standard or if because of the design this is not possible, B: collaborate with a rail mfg or a group of rail mfgs to make a better selection rails that can readily fit their suppressors. For instance, if Geissele made a rail with an ID of 1.8" to accommodate this can, it would be up pretty high on my list.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 12:04:47 AM EST
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:
The markup on cans is considerable.
View Quote

Interesting.... I assume it seen as an accessory and gets the appropriate markup as Brad stated?
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 12:13:07 AM EST

I think most do see it they way you do, but they can't justify the cost increase over traditional cans for what this one offers. As one of the guys in the other thread put it: I'm glad to see someone doing something different, but I don't want to own one yet. I think the technology for this design needs to go a bit further and mfg practices need to be refined as well to get the cost down to a competitive level.

For me personally, it was a clearance issue both with the rail ID and the OTB space needed from the muzzle to the gas block. I think that at this point OSS needs to figure out a way to either A: reduce the OD of their cans closer to the industry standard or if because of the design this is not possible, B: collaborate with a rail mfg or a group of rail mfgs to make a better selection rails that can readily fit their suppressors. For instance, if Geissele made a rail with an ID of 1.8" to accommodate this can, it would be up pretty high on my list.
View All Quotes

Seekins and Aero should work
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 12:20:02 AM EST

I think one could argue that the trend of handguards that run up within 2-4 inches of the muzzle is where the OSS products lose most people. When I saw these things a couple years ago they just screamed PRECISION RIFLE to me. Putting a 13.25" reflex suppressor system on your <16" AR is asinine. Now, they do have much shorter versions than the specific system I ordered, but most people aren't willing to sacrifice the decibels.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 10:25:26 AM EST
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

View All Quotes

Yeah, not really a fan of those (barrel nut designs). I'm a picky bitch
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 11:21:01 AM EST

View All Quotes

Haha, ya they're kinda ugly but there are options.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 12:37:09 PM EST
MI did make a bigger handguard to accommodate suppressors inside it. Saw it at their showroom a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 1:06:35 PM EST

I bet it's a loss at $449 but my bet is cans are like most other gun "accessories" and there's sizable markup
View All Quotes

I asked this question of QRF as well (paraphrasing), and the answer was that they are simply handling the liquidation of OSS stock for OSS. They got them at a very low price I'm sure (whatever their deal was), but the ones they are selling are the previous generation. I think the problem will be for OSS when they attempt to collect a higher price on the Gen V from customers (new or old) who saw these available at under 450/650. Frankly, the 762 market is in the 650-800 range, and not at 1350+
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 2:25:04 PM EST
I think the problem will be for OSS when they attempt to collect a higher price on the Gen V from customers (new or old) who saw these available at under 450/650. Frankly, the 762 market is in the 650-800 range, and not at 1350+
View Quote

I agree. Was tempted to jump on one from QRF but, if they've already made their mousetrap better, would I be unhappy with my Gen IV, or love it enough to shell out 4x that amount for the Gen V? Curious to see how hot they sell when Gen V comes out, and whether they have dried up their market share by blowing out last models for so cheap.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 3:31:49 PM EST
For the price I'm sure I'll be happy with it. I won't spend the kind of cash they want for the gen v. I frankly wouldn't buy the gen iv for what the msrp was on them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:32:40 AM EST
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:36:23 PM EST
LOL. Well that sucks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:05:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2016 5:46:30 PM EST by OSS_Suppressors]
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:14:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By OSS_Suppressors:

Managing wear on the unit is pretty simple. Cleaning the core and internals is not necessary, but (just like any suppressor) we do recommend cleaning the mounting surfaces just to help with attaching and removing the unit. Flow-Through suppression means that carbon isn't getting trapped and compacted at high rates inside the suppressor. The internal components (coils) will get a thin film of carbon on them, but not enough to effect the suppressor.

The model you selected, though long in total length, will only add 7.6" to the front of the muzzle, which isn't bad in terms of added length for any 7.62.

Generally I don't speak too much about our competitors but since you've mentioned you own a SiCo Specwar (which is a fantastic baffle suppressor by the way) I'll use that to help you compare so you can get a good idea about what you bought.

dB reduction between the two will be relatively equal.

The Specwar will add roughly 8.5" to the front of the muzzle so it'll be a bit longer than the muzzle you selected.

The weight of the Specwar is 24oz, where the model you selected is 23.8 oz (muzzle devices not included) so the weight of the two units are really close. The main difference will be the the OTB model you have selected might be balanced a bit better.

And lastly, there will be about a 0% increase in back pressure, and bolt velocity with out suppressor. So if you are running any platform with an adjustable gas block or "suppressed" setting, Leave it on the "unsuppressed" setting when using our can.

If you have any other questions give us a call or send us an email.
View All Quotes
With 41P looming ominously I decided to buy another suppresor. My other 4 are SiCo and I wanted to make a splash with what will probably be my last NFA hurrah for the next half decade.
A local company deals heavily with OSS, runs them HEAVILY on full auto platforms day in and day out, and after a few weeks of googling and coin flipping I had them order me one. There is not much "hands on" information about OSS suppressors on the internet, and I believe this is simply because they are cost restrictive to most people. By my estimation they have an intriguing design, and the guys down the road from me here have had nothing but good things to say about them.
But I want to know what I can expect from people like myself who maybe put down some cheddar to get an OSS system.
I ordered the BPRM1-15 and SRM-6 in 7.62, so it's a beast. 13.25 total inches in length. And here I thought my Specwar 7.62 was going to be the only fat chick in my safe.
Anything a future owner should know about managing wear and tear or pro's and con's of ownership? All experience is appreciated.

Oh, and first post.

Managing wear on the unit is pretty simple. Cleaning the core and internals is not necessary, but (just like any suppressor) we do recommend cleaning the mounting surfaces just to help with attaching and removing the unit. Flow-Through suppression means that carbon isn't getting trapped and compacted at high rates inside the suppressor. The internal components (coils) will get a thin film of carbon on them, but not enough to effect the suppressor.

The model you selected, though long in total length, will only add 7.6" to the front of the muzzle, which isn't bad in terms of added length for any 7.62.

Generally I don't speak too much about our competitors but since you've mentioned you own a SiCo Specwar (which is a fantastic baffle suppressor by the way) I'll use that to help you compare so you can get a good idea about what you bought.

dB reduction between the two will be relatively equal.

The Specwar will add roughly 8.5" to the front of the muzzle so it'll be a bit longer than the muzzle you selected.

The weight of the Specwar is 24oz, where the model you selected is 23.8 oz (muzzle devices not included) so the weight of the two units are really close. The main difference will be the the OTB model you have selected might be balanced a bit better.

And lastly, there will be about a 0% increase in back pressure, and bolt velocity with out suppressor. So if you are running any platform with an adjustable gas block or "suppressed" setting, Leave it on the "unsuppressed" setting when using our can.

If you have any other questions give us a call or send us an email.

So I take it you are not Russ...
It appears I missed the boat by dragging my feet on the QRF blowout. I'm genuinely interested in the future of OSS and flow through
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:55:25 PM EST
Quiet Riot does still have one 7.62 suppressor left and you can get an adapter from OSS for 5.56 threaded barrels.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:04:54 PM EST
Quiet Riot does still have one 7.62 suppressor left and you can get an adapter from OSS for 5.56 threaded barrels.
View Quote

Where exactly can I get that adapter? I literally can not find it nor will anyone at OSS help me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:08:36 PM EST
View Quote

For another $200.
I lose interest at that price
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:24:20 PM EST

I asked this question of QRF as well (paraphrasing), and the answer was that they are simply handling the liquidation of OSS stock for OSS. They got them at a very low price I'm sure (whatever their deal was), but the ones they are selling are the previous generation. I think the problem will be for OSS when they attempt to collect a higher price on the Gen V from customers (new or old) who saw these available at under 450/650. Frankly, the 762 market is in the 650-800 range, and not at 1350+
View All Quotes

Just wanted to clarify that we are not clearancing these FOR OSS. These are from a distributor clearing them out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:18:08 PM EST

~snip~
View All Quotes
~snip~

~snip~

I appreciate your input and comments. I am already feeling optimistic about my choice of OSS system as far as BPRM and SRM sizes, now begins the long wait for the products to arrive and then the NFA process.
Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:25:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2016 5:28:44 PM EST by Darkamek]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

Where exactly can I get that adapter? I literally can not find it nor will anyone at OSS help me.
View Quote

I emailed OSS about it and they said I could buy direct or through a dealer for the adapter.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:47:22 PM EST
Adapter is like $40. I've got one for my 7.62.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:28:15 PM EST

I emailed OSS about it and they said I could buy direct or through a dealer for the adapter.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

I'll try again. I've never been able to get a hold of anyone. Maybe it's different now. Shrug.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:49:10 PM EST
Try 801.542.0425 Ask for Keith, I just spoke with him and he has them for 40.00 bucks ordered one for my OTB 7.62 can.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:56:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By GREENMACHINE1:
Try 801.542.0425 Ask for Keith, I just spoke with him and he has them for 40.00 bucks ordered one for my OTB 7.62 can.
View Quote

Same. Have you run yours one a 556 yet? How's it sound?
Top Top