Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2002 8:57:51 PM EDT
can anyone help me?i had big trouble putting a mil. spec. lower kit into one of these lowers.has anyone had this happen and could anyone give advice as what to do?    
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#1]
What trouble specifically are you having?  My Oly cast lower went together pretty easily.  The hardest part was that all of the pins were pretty tight due to the thick finish.  My bolt hits the top of the mag lips, but other than that, it's fine.z
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
all the holes were pretty tight but the trigger and the forward assist were bad.the gun shoots fine and has never given me any trouble.except the take down pins and i almost have to beat them out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#3]
From what you describe, the problem could just as easily be out of spec pins as the lower itself. Also, where is the forward assist on a LOWER receiver? Beyond that, I don't see that you're having any real problem. Takedown pins will wear in, and it's better to have them tight from the get go because they will only get looser.

Your post is so vague that you sound like some kind of troll, frankly :)
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I ran into a bad batch of Oly PCR lowers several years ago. The hammer pin holes were drilled too far forward and would prevent the hammer from being cocked more than 45 degrees.

They were all returned to the fun store and replaced with ICR lowers. No problems from there.

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:29:33 AM EDT
[#5]
SORRY I AM NOT UP TO PAR WITH YOUR STANDARDS THERE MAELCUM!!THAT IS WHY I JOINED THIS SITE TO LEARN FROM PEOPLE THAT DONT CARE TO GIVE ADVICE!NOT BE CALLED A TROLL BY SOME PRICK THAT WOULD RATHER HACK SOMEONE AS TO HELP THEM!EVERYONE ELSE THAT WROTE IN SEEMED TO WANT TO GIVE ADVICE,BUT I GUESS THIER IS ALWAYS ONE IN ANYTHING!YES I AM KNEW TO THIS BUT AS FOR THE FOWARD ASSIST I KNOW IT IS ON THE UPPER I WAS JUST SAYING I HAD TROUBLE WITH IT ON THAT LOWER IT HAS BEEN ON A COLT LOWER AND I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH IT AND I DONT THINK THE PINS SHOULD HAVE TO BE BEAT OUT!!BUT THANKS ANYWAY    
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:48:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't think maelcum was serious about the troll comment... why just look, he's got the little smiley face right there at the end!!

Maelcum you better star usng animated icons!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#7]
With Olys stuff, If my pins are tight AND my upper is tight on my lower, I'm considering myself lucky.

Get yourself a push pin tool from Bushmaster there, hacksaw.

And don;t worry about the "troll" comment (unless you are one   )

After you been round here for a while, you TOO can call others "trolls." Its a rite of passage.

Cheers,

g

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I've experienced this with Olympic lowers before.  

The recess where rear lug of the upper receiver fits into is sometimes to shallow on Olympic Arms lowers.  This, in turn, causes a very tight fit for the take down pin.  In the past I have "fitted" the lug on the upper to my lower.  However that lug butt-ugly.  An easier way to loosen up those pins is simply to use a round dremil stone to "open up" the hole in the rear receiver lug.

Warning, don't do that before you determine if it's the fit of the upper and lower or if it's you pins.  Sometimes those take down and pivot pins freeze, because they're not machined correctly and the detents engage the pin too deeply.  To check this all you have to do is to determine if the pin is too tight during its whole movement or just at the beginning of its movement.

With the rifle disassembled, if force is needed only to start the pins, then it's the pins.

With the rifle assembled, if force is needed to move the pin during the whole course of its travel, then it's the upper / lower fit.

I've never had problems with upper and lower fit in regards to RRA, Colt, Armalite, Bushmaster or Eagle.  Granted RRA lowers may be a bit tight at first, but they wear in nicely.  I've had ASA lowers with strange "canted" and "mis-indexed" pivot and take down pin holes.  And I've had a whole boatload of Olympic lowers that had to be fitted to uppers.

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks men,i just got a little red there for a minute and was just wanting some help in which i couldnt get here at home.would anybody say that i may have messed up by getting a olympic arms?and maybe should have got a bushmaster or dpms?i just went on a dealers preference and likes.i am building another and am sort of wanting to know what the best lower is?thanks
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#10]
No, Olympic Arms makes a solid bargain priced product.  You made a wise decision.  

In the future you might want to consider RRA or Bushmaster lowers.  I've never had a problem with their lowers.  However, Olympic Arms lowers work just fine when building kits.

If you have the time and the money buy an Olympic Arms forged lower, an Olympic Arms cast lower, an RRA lower and a Bushmaster lower.  Put them under the light and side by side.  You'll notice some very important and interesting differences!
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#11]
hacksaw 104   There is no bad AR/15 , and if you go to Barrels .com you will find willsons, and a bunch of barrel makers there and they will mention every body that makes good barrels there and you know what,. not a mention of busmaster,colt ,rolling rock,bpms,armalite, just oly  they still make one of the best brouch lapped barells there is!  don't know about there lowers but if they have that much good press with there uppers don't you think they would put that much attention to their lowers?   and you are just learning about the ar15 its just like the first time you started buying and building you first computer parts ,..Dont you wish you could have put your hands around that dudes neck!  Now you have an addiction that even crack-cocaine  can't match.....get out now while you still can......  SMILLIE  FACE,,,
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#12]
bobbyjack,
In the future, please post your replies in English.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey Schnert was posting to hacksaw104...  but since you are  wanting me to post in ENGLISH how about EAT ME!  
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#14]
bobbyjack,

Can you get me a bpms catalog?
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#15]
No schnert but i did actually buy a BPMS lower from Briggadoons for 225.00, was thinking of putting it on  armalite M15A2 upper that i orderd ,but changed my mind and bought an armalite lower to go with it..  So if you need it might just send it to you!......bob cole
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:24:09 AM EDT
[#16]
daz d truth.  I, however, am one of the unlucky ones...

Quoted:
With Olys stuff, If my pins are tight AND my upper is tight on my lower, I'm considering myself lucky.

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:42:41 AM EDT
[#17]
bobbyjack:
Believe Schnert was referring to:

"willson" = Wilson &
"not a mention of busmaster Bushmaster,colt ,rolling rock Rock River Arms (rolling rock is a beer),bpms DPMS,armalite, just oly they still make one of the best brouch lapped barells believe you mean broach-cut barrels"

and intended no flame, it was meant to be a joke. You have to admit he did give ya chance when he asked for the bpms catalog, he was pullin your leg bud, lighten up, some of us just tend to poke a little fun at newbies and you have to admit your spelling does leave a little bit to be desired.

Or to put it in your words: "IT SUCKS" :)

Mike
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:54:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you Mr_Wilson.  I couldn't have said it better myself.

-Schnert
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#19]
thanks everybody for the help and advice!SCHNERT i tried what you told me and i think it is going to be the upper and lower hook up.i bought a kit total upper and barrel and everything but a lower, from a company that i was pretty happy with do you have any advice?the take down pins are real tight!!!!if i had to break this thing down in the field and work on it i would be screwed!i would have to have a hammer!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top