Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 2:47:47 PM EDT
The GOOD:

All numbers match except for the buttplate, which was renumbered to match (old numbers lined out)

The bore is decent, after several thorough cleanings it shows a wee bit of shine

Overall, the metal is in pretty good shape, with only a tiny amount of finish wear and pitting

The BAD:

Some bubba got ahold of this and hacked off the front of the original stock

The stock that remains is absolute crap.

The finish wear on the barrel is heavy.

So....do I...

Refinish the metal and buy a full stock to refinish - as well as a bayo and accessories from AIM?

-or-

Give up the fight and completely bubba-ize it into a deer rifle.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of nice Mosins out there right now for pretty good money.  Converting your's back to original configuration would probably cost more than buying a new one.  Since Bubba has already started I'd say continue with the project.  It really isn't worth anything half bubba-ized, so completing the job won't really cost you any value.

If you want an original looking Mosin you should be able to pick one up for a hundred or so.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Would it be worth it to refinish/refurbish it into a PU sniper clone?  I'm just leery of continuing to bubba-ize it.

If not, I will build it into a decent deer rifle.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:09:29 AM EDT
[#3]
www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Accessories.html
Stock set $25
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:35:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Getthe #25 stock set listed above.  As to converting it to a sniper, I would check it out to see how accurate it is before doing anything like that.  I would leave the barrel as is.  It adds character tothe rifle.  Besides, if it is a good shooter notheing better than going to the range and outshooting the guy with the $1,200 rifle with your old beat up milsurp that they snickered at when you brought it out..  

91/30's are my favorite of the Mosin Nagant line.  A lot of fun to shoot and the sights are real easy on my 54 year old eyes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:52:14 AM EDT
[#5]
$25. for a nice stock or $70. for the whole rifle (excellent condition), bayo, sling, oiler kit.

Sounds like a wash to me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmm...I was first thinking of refinishing the metal, polishing the bolt and then picking up one of those AIM Surplus stocks.  I can strip and prep the wood myself and then send it off to Z-Recto for a coating with a Russian-honey colored shellac.  Giving it a re-arsenal job myself could be a fun project.

OR

I could pick up a basic wood sporter stock and finish it myself, inlet and bed the action, find a new bolt body, get a Smith scope mount and a low $$$ scope and then have a relatively cheap deer rifle in a caliber that I'm already set up to handload.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Well...

It's going to be a deer rifle, but not some bubba hack job.  I went down to Boyds' today and picked up a Walnut "Ria" stock, a new buttpad and a couple of sling studs.  I've already started inletting the stock.

I've got to refinish the metal, get a new bolt body, bed the action, find a scope mount and scope.

I'll post pics when it's done.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:24:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top